Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

03-04 Sedan iPhone/iPod ashtray mount, details about iPhone 3g charging

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 10:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03-04 Sedan iPhone/iPod ashtray mount, details about iPhone 3g charging

I have been talking back and forth with Randy from spec.dock; a company that makes custom mounts for iPods and iPhones. They currently have one for the 05-06 models, but nothing for the 03-04. Their product for the 05-06 can be found here.

In any case, I have been talking back and forth, and found out that they just recently finished the dock for the 03-04 ashtray, but they haven't gotten any installation instructions written up yet. I offered him to write up instructions if he would be willing to sell one before they "hit the street," and he agreed.

The only problem with these units is the price, which comes in steep at $299. This includes the dock, a universal dock adapter for whatever iPod/iPhone your using, a PA11-NIS, and installation instructions.

I also asked him about if there were any issues with using the iPhone 3g with this unit, and he said that there were two issues, one small, one large. The large problem is that with the iPhone 3g, Apple has completely cut firewire charging, which is how all of these automotive units (PA11-NIS and PAC AII-NIS2 or whatever) charge. So until someone develops a new way to charge for automotive, these units CANNOT charge the iPhone 3g.

The other, smaller problem is that he hasn't received the 3g dock adapters yet, they should be in by next Friday.

So as soon as I get this unit in and get it installed, I will be back with a review, and whether I think it was worth the money or not. As well as pictures.

Old 07-17-2008, 04:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the PA11 and i just got an iphone 3g and yes it still works but NO charging which sucks major

Old 07-17-2008, 04:51 AM
Does anyone on here actually have one of these? Despite the steep price of $300, I'd be more afraid of hitting a bump or something and seeing my ipod get launched into the air and either hurting myself, a passenger, damaging the car, or damaging the ipod. On top of that, the back and forth stress of accelerating and braking can't be good for the dock connector. Despite being aesthetically pleasing, I think there is more chance of harm than good with that dock due to the potential damage to the connector area in the Ipod.

Edit: What happens if you change ipods in a couple months? I assume the docks aren't interchangeable like home audio docks...

Last edited by infg35x; 07-17-2008 at 05:22 AM.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:49 AM
Originally Posted by infg35x
Does anyone on here actually have one of these? Despite the steep price of $300, I'd be more afraid of hitting a bump or something and seeing my ipod get launched into the air and either hurting myself, a passenger, damaging the car, or damaging the ipod. On top of that, the back and forth stress of accelerating and braking can't be good for the dock connector. Despite being aesthetically pleasing, I think there is more chance of harm than good with that dock due to the potential damage to the connector area in the Ipod.

Edit: What happens if you change ipods in a couple months? I assume the docks aren't interchangeable like home audio docks...
Yes, the docks are interchangeable, just like the home docks, which is why I bought a 3rd gen Nano dock, and an iPhone 3g dock when they come in.

I'm going to be getting one, and as I said, I'm going to be writing a full review on this as soon as I get it installed and drive around a bit. I won't be able to test how firm the iPhone sits in there until I get the adapter, but I can test with my Nano.

Originally Posted by hye_G
I have the PA11 and i just got an iphone 3g and yes it still works but NO charging which sucks major
I honestly think that within a month or two, someone is going to release something that makes it so that they can charge, kinda like when the first iPhone came out, the headphone jack was all messed up.. people made an adapter.

Old 07-18-2008, 02:23 PM
On the 2003-2004 G35s, can you control any features from the Ipod from the steering wheel controls?

Old 07-18-2008, 04:11 PM
With the PA11-NIS you can choose how you control your ipod. With the iPhone though, people recommend to use it in "direct" mode so that most of the controls are done on the iPhone, other than volume, and you can go up and down tracks. This way the phone isn't docked so you can still receive/make calls and use the other options in the phone.

However, when using a regular iPod, you can either control it via direct mode or through playlist mode, where you choose I think it's 5 playlists, and you can cycle between the playlists using the steering wheel, as well as adjust the song.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:59 AM
Got the unit yesterday, looks great! I installed it this morning, the install of the dock took <5 minutes, with no drilling or modification, which means this can be removed when the car is sold without any issues! I'm writing up a DIY and the instructions for him, so I will post it up when I am finished. I know that tons and tons of people have written a DIY to take apart the dash, but I figure one more can't hurt.

I will post pics as soon as I get them, and keep in mind that I don't have the universal dock adapter for the 3g yet, so it might look a bit funny.

Old 07-23-2008, 04:31 PM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
Good news for you 03-04 guys!
Would you ask Randy if they have considered doing something for the second gen sedans? I seem to recall reading something late last year saying they were in R&D for it but it may have been rumors.
Thanks

Old 07-23-2008, 04:45 PM
I can do that, and I have TONS of pictures, but here's a taste of what it looks like when I tested it,

(don't ask what is up with the picture, was just a weird glitch in a setting somewhere I think)

...and when I got it installed

oh and if you can guess which album cover it is in the first pic, you get a cookie.

Old 07-23-2008, 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
Good news for you 03-04 guys!
Would you ask Randy if they have considered doing something for the second gen sedans? I seem to recall reading something late last year saying they were in R&D for it but it may have been rumors.
Thanks
I asked Randy, and he said:

"Oh yeah, the ’07-’08 sedan has an ashtray that opens upward making an ashtray dock an impossibility….were doing a cup holder dock in one on Friday…I’ll take a pic and forward it to you."

So as soon as I get the pic, I'll post it right up here.

This thing is great! stable, the dock adapter is stable in there, so far first impressions are good!

Old 07-23-2008, 06:25 PM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by ProfanityPete
I asked Randy, and he said:

"Oh yeah, the ’07-’08 sedan has an ashtray that opens upward making an ashtray dock an impossibility….were doing a cup holder dock in one on Friday…I’ll take a pic and forward it to you."

So as soon as I get the pic, I'll post it right up here.

This thing is great! stable, the dock adapter is stable in there, so far first impressions are good!
Hey thanks!
I figured the way the ashtray opens would pose a problem. I would hate to loose the cupholders in the console though.
I (and others, I'm sure) would still like to see it.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:01 PM
yeah, I will put the pic on here, do you have any other ideas for where to put a dock? I don't know the interior of those sedans, so I wouldn't know of a place

Old 07-24-2008, 12:45 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
i've seen that cover before, but without googling it, i'd only be guessing to say bloodhound gang

Old 07-24-2008, 03:25 PM
heh yep

bloodhound gang -hefty fine

Old 07-24-2008, 10:07 PM
Looks good but there is just something that bothers me about it being in that location in front of the radio and near the shifter. On top of that, if you go with the $299 package to control it through your steering wheel....why not just put in your armrest or upper storage compartment above the radio?

Not trying to be an ***.....but just trying to justify the steep price in my small brain.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 03-04 Sedan iPhone/iPod ashtray mount, details about iPhone 3g charging