Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Gilley? audio experts?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 02:03 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Gilley? audio experts?

ok help.

I currently have and AVIC-D3 (almost like everyone else here) with two 10 JLW6 powered by one Rockford Fosgate T600/2 amp.

In the VERY NEAR (week or so) I want to upgrade my component speakers to the Infinity Kappa Perfects 6.1. I talked to a guy, and suggested I get the Fosgate T400/4 amp to match with my setup and to power the front speakers.

Question:
In the LATER future, I plan on adding two more 10JLW6. So, can I get another T600/2 amp to power the component speakers for now? And then when I get the other two JL's, hook the subs up to the 2nd Fosgate amp... and COMBINE both amps, hopefully have enough power to also play my component speakers? is that how it works?

What do you suggest?
Thanks.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, that is not how it works. You already have a 2 channel amp now powering your subs, which is set to low pass frequencies for your subs. When you get another 2 channel amp later on for your extra 2 subs, it will also be set for low pass frequencies which will only be good to power subs and not component speakers.

If you only plan on running component speakers, and not any rear fill speakers, just get a 2 channel amp for your front component speakers. So you will have a total of 3 amps. 1 for your component speakers, 1 for your existing 2 subs, 1 for your new subs. You could also, replace the existing amp running your subs now with a more powerful amp which could run all 4 subs.

Old 08-20-2008, 01:54 PM
Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts
Eh, first, I'd pass on the Infinity speakers. I'm not impressed by them...they are mediocre and for generally the same price you can do better.

As for what you plan on doing, you CAN do it, but it's not recommended, because if you combine any of the speakers on a single channel you lose balancing, fading, and if you want to take it a step further.... EQ, phasing, time alignment.

Keep each speaker to its own channel. Rather than keeping the T6002 and getting another one in the future since you plan to get more subs, why not sell the T6002 and get a T15002 or one of the mono amps? It will tkae up less space.

Do you even have proper room for 4 10W6's? I mean it's doable but you will have no trunk space. In a sedan I can see it working. In a coupe, it would require work. What's your goal in adding 2 more 10W6's? You can achieve the same output or sound with a single sub, just depends on what you are going for.

Old 08-20-2008, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the input. I will look further into other component speakers via search function.

I will proably get the T600/2 amp to power my component for now, and when I decide to get my subs, I'll buy the T400/2 amp. Then, I will switch the speakers wires to the new T400 amp, and the new subs to the old T600. Does that makes sense? Im sawry.

Im going for soemthing like show quality, as in "presentable", not as if im entering my car in for SEMA or anything.

here are some pics to give you a general idea of what I have so far... I want to add more subs in the rear, where the back of the seat is, but I want it facing "normal" and not inverted.

Last edited by cungkpham; 08-20-2008 at 06:06 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:48 PM
I'm a lil confused. Are you wanting to run the mids off one 2 channel amp and the tweeters off another 2 channel amp and the rest of the subs on another 2 channel amp?

What's your budget for speakers?

Old 08-20-2008, 11:12 PM
initially, I wanted to use 2 subs per amp, also hoping to 'combine' my component speakers to both the amps to save myself from getting a third one... which i found out is not the case and does not work that way.

So im going to get another set of T600/2, for now and use it to power my component speakers

When I get enough money, I'll buy two more subs and then also buy the T400/2, which I will then switch the wires so that:
-my two subs will NOW be powered by the T600/2
-my component speakers will NOW powered by the T400/2

the reason why I want to get the T600/2 first is bc i will be building an amp rack for my car, and I want it to match, symetrically. I will cut a hole in each side of my false floor and customize it. Once i get the third amp, i will somehow figure out a way how creatively install it in my trunk.

maybe im just retarded, and not making sense.

Ok, simple... "Can I use a T600/2 amp to power my component speakers?"

My budget for speakers? Well, lets put it this way. Give me some suggestions of some great speakers for a freaking good deal. Does not have to be name brand, as long as it sounds clean, and for a good price.

thanks. =)

Old 08-21-2008, 12:20 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I would ditch the current amp and get a 2 channel amp for the front speakers and a seperate amp powerful enough to handle the 4 subs.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:02 AM
I understand you are wanting to have the amps line up symmetrically. I don't want to tell you, no don't do it, because it is your system, so take what I say with a grain of salt, lol. Reason why I mentioned goin with a mono amp or larger 2 channel for the subs is because with the addition of a second t600/2, it may draw more current and more current will result in lower voltage, thus less power going to the speakers. I have not checked the current draw on the amps, so I do not know.

Also, you will want a 4 channel amp for the speakers, unless they are coaxials. You want each mid and each tweeter (if from a component set) on their own channel so it doesn't mess with your balance, fading, and EQ.

Also, as mentioned, have you checked to make sure you have enough room for 4 subs? You want to make sure you meet the recommended enclosure specs for the subs, not the minimum. Sure, the minimum would work, but they won't work at their optimum level. Also, you'd be able to get the same output with less subs, but a larger sub, with less space.

As for components, there is is the Hertz HSK (Hi-Energy line), DLS Iridium 6.2 (migiht be pricey, didn't satisfy my needs since they lacked midbass, but did sound good), Crystal Mobilesound (CMX line I believe), Image Dynamics also has some nice components. There is also the Focal 165v3, but I've heard mixed reviews on them. Phoenix Gold RSD's have great mids, tweeters are decent. Illusion Audio has some nice speakers as well and the great thing about them is that they are very shallow. It's all I can think of right now that going to run you an arm and a leg.