Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

dashkit fitament problems, please help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 07:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dashkit fitament problems, please help!

i finally received my dashkit from yoshi today, i went ahead and installed my alpine cda-9833 headunit but having some problems, i have posted some pics so you guys can see what i mean, 1st off how is the dash pocket suppose to go in? do you just slide it in from the front? or thru the back of the jdm titanium console? please help, and theres a gap between my headunit and dashpocket...

and the plastic trim border piece that goes around my headunit's face doesnt fit, because the headunit doesnt slide out far enough, sigh, how do i fix this? its really bothering me...

on the dashpocket theres an arrow on the back, should that arrow be pointing down or up when installing it?

here are the pics...

http://teamrice.com/~digaz/dk1.jpg
http://teamrice.com/~digaz/dk2.jpg
http://teamrice.com/~digaz/dk3.jpg
http://teamrice.com/~digaz/dk4.jpg
http://teamrice.com/~digaz/dk5.jpg
http://teamrice.com/~digaz/dk6.jpg
http://teamrice.com/~digaz/dk7.jpg
http://teamrice.com/~digaz/dk8.jpg

i was using joe's DIY guide, i notice in his pics, he was able to fit the plastic trimming around his headunit, how did you get it to fit please help? i slid my alpine headunit in thru the back and then the 2 holes on either side matched up perfectly... so i screwed em down, and when i slid the bracket into the jdm console, screwed the metal bracket down using 4 screws, and went to try to pop the plastic trim, it wont fit, its like my headunit needs to be moved out more, but it wont go out any further, sigh please help... how did you guys get around this?

this and the dash pocket are both killing me right now, theres gaps, sigh... maybe im installing something wrong?

Old 05-11-2004, 10:09 PM
Location: Centerburg, Ohio (the geographical center of the Buckeye State)
Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: dashkit fitament problems, please help!

Hey,

You ran into the same problems I did....

This is what I did. I placed the dash pocket the same way you did, OVER the titanium edge of the dash console. The dash pocket did not initially sit flush against the dash console as the anchor screws for the dash pocket were off about 1/2". I had to drill a couple holes into the aluminum bracket about 1/2" to the rear of the stock anchor holes. This then allowed the dash pocket to recess back and set flush against the titanium dash console. This is modifcation #1.

Modification #2 was to trim the top edge of the dash pocket to allow the bottom part of the trim piece of my deck to again sit flush like yours is somewhat doing. I used an xacto knife to trim this piece (b/c I didn't have a dremmel at the time) as the dash pocket plastic is really soft and easily trimmable. This was modification #2.

Modification #3 was to actually shave the JDM dash console's later edges of the doubleDIN so that my deck would fit horizontally. I initally found out that my Panasonic deck wouldn't fit width-wise so I had to shave/sand about an 1/8" to have the deck fit. I then had to gradually keep sanding those lateral edges until the deck fit snugly but not too loose.

My deck has a flip down face. The doubleDIN width could not be too tight or I kept finding that the deck faceplate would get stuck half way down and not fall down all the way. So I kept shaving/sanding until the faceplate would fold down all the way w/o getting stuck. This was modifcation #3.

Some people mount the deck and dash pocket BEHIND the doubleDIN titanium frame edge for a more recessed look esp. if you have an aftermarket deck that protrudes out more. I think the recessed look and the BEHIND mount looks good if you have a black-colored deck. If you have an aluminum or silver-colored deck, I think the mount you chose looks better. I tried both ways, in FRONT and BEHIND the titanium frame, I like the flush mount in FRONT better. Try both ways, if you mount BEHIND the frame, I don't think you'll need the supplied trim piece. The only problem is if you already mounted the deck flush in FRONT of the frame, you probably have scratches on the frame from those little metal feet that holds the deck bracket so you might have to mount it flush anyway.....

Does this answer your questions?

Let me know......

docron1

Old 05-11-2004, 10:21 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club

ya know.. this seems to be a much bigger problem for the Titanium dash.. since my dash is completely black, it's going to blend in ALOT more, that's just my personal opinion

2004 G35s 5AT DG/Graphite/Premium/Huper Optik Tint

Old 05-11-2004, 10:22 PM

how's your system sounding these days? Did you get it tweaked?

Old 05-11-2004, 10:34 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club

yep... I get my custom box with my JL 10W3v2 sub on Friday, at which point they install my Alpine 6cd MP3 changer and the fm modulator. I'll take pics once everything is done. Thanks for all your help Ron!

2004 G35s 5AT DG/Graphite/Premium/Huper Optik Tint

Old 05-12-2004, 12:10 AM

hi joe... hehe thanks for the input... unforntunately i did what some others did for the gap between the dashpocket and the headunit, i found a piece of black foam, trimmed it and stuffed it in between... it looks pretty good...

my future plan is to remove the dash pocket and use the dash cover instead, i wanted to paint the dash cover to match the titanium console... i think that would look nice...

anyways im gonna post some pics of my finished install... thanks to joe and nyc35, w/o your help, this wouldnt be possible...

http://teamrice.com/~digaz/urban/urban.html

yay my A/C is working now! been driving 3 weeks with the A/C on... poor car

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by ramborami on 05/11/04 09:51 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 05-12-2004, 12:51 AM
G35driver.com Moderator

looking good man, haha you used my foam method [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]
real nice!

<font color=green>-Rambo</font color=green>
G35c-6MT-DG/Willow/HyperGround/BorlaExhaust/350Z-intake/AVIC-N1-double-din

Old 05-12-2004, 01:26 AM

hahah rambo! wassup buddy yes i was so frustrated that there was a gap there, so i remember you using some foam, so i went around the house hysterically looking for some, i found grey one, so i colored it with a black sharpie... heheh looks pretty good imho... i had a tuff job figuring out how to put in my headunit and the dash pocket, but it finally came out... and im very happy...

and by the way, i kept those japanese newspapers that yoshi stuffed inside the boxes as souvenir... LOLZ!

Old 05-12-2004, 05:54 AM

Euro,

So was the dash swap difficult (other than the dash pocket/deck fitting)?

I do agree w/ you that maybe the blank bracket would look better. The top edge of the dash pocket kinda throws it off a little. Why didn't your deck+trim piece and dash pocket fill the whole double DIN? Is you Alpine HU that small??? Anywho, looks good for a DIY install PLUS you probably saved a couple hundred $$ an installer would have charged you to do what you did. AND you finally have normal working AC now!!!!!

docron1

Old 05-12-2004, 11:06 AM

hi joe, it wasnt that difficult except for connecting all the wires to the back of the headunit and then putting that whole thing back into the console was a bit tough, hard to do with 1 person... one person holding the radio while another person plugs it all in the back would be better..

yup thats how my alpine HU is, i was wondering why it didnt fill the DIN completely on the sides, kinda annoys me that you can see the metal brackets on the left side of the headunit, its not that bad though... but all in all i love it... the foam thing helped out a great deal... but now when i drive, something in the back of the headunit area is rattling, i need to take apart and find out whats touching...

Old 05-12-2004, 06:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it lQQKs very clean, was it worth all the trouble to DIY? what sub you end up getting???...now instade asking the questions, you will be answering them[img]/w3timages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]...darn good job!

03 coupe 5AT DG/G premium,performance,avic-n1

Old 05-12-2004, 07:20 PM
G35driver.com Moderator

about the rattling.... make sure you tape together all unused harnesses with electrical tape, also dont forget to tape together the loose end of the antenna Y-cable.

<font color=green>-Rambo</font color=green>
G35c-6MT-DG/Willow/HyperGround/BorlaExhaust/350Z-intake/AVIC-N1-double-din

Old 05-12-2004, 11:11 PM

sup lime, definetly worth it to DIY, i dun trust anybody or shop anymore with my car after taking the car apart and seeing what a horible job they did... sigh, do it yourself is the best way, i have a 10w7, sounds awesome man... im very happy with my setup...

Old 05-13-2004, 09:44 AM

Eurog35
Did you connect the Alpine power directly to the battery as per Alpine instructions? I was hoping since you don't use the on-board amp this wouldn't be necessary.

04 Silverstone G35 Coupe

Old 05-13-2004, 10:58 AM

Spud nope, I'm using a dedicated amp...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: dashkit fitament problems, please help!