Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

anyone figure out how to get their rear view mirror to stop rattling with the bass

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 01:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone figure out how to get their rear view mirror to stop rattling with the bass

anyone figure out how to get their rear view mirror to stop rattling with the bass??? Its so annoying.

Old 09-30-2008, 05:57 AM
OMG!

Harden the F**K UP!

Jeez some people whinge about the smallest things............
Maybe you should sue the dealer.............

Old 09-30-2008, 06:17 AM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Turn down the music or at least the bass?

I think if you added some weight to the mirror, it won't vibrate as much...

Old 09-30-2008, 06:24 AM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by dofu
Turn down the music or at least the bass?
+1 I was gonna suggest the same thing.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:32 AM
Originally Posted by JOKER
+1 I was gonna suggest the same thing.
But then again, some of us need the loud music and bass to drown out all the rattling...

Old 09-30-2008, 10:50 AM
Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts
In my previous car, I just left it off, because it fell off too often. Ah, the days of a bass head when you're rolling around withi 145 dB music and your windshield flexing to the point where your windshield whipers can't even whipe off the rain.

I'd say turn the volume **** to the left, put up with it, or remove the headliner and see how the rear view mirror is connected, and then rather than adding weight, put open cell foam between the the rear view mirror and its mounting location.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:51 AM
Originally Posted by dofu
But then again, some of us need the loud music and bass to drown out all the rattling...
Deadener and foam solves the vibration and rattling issues.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by Data Queue
OMG!

Harden the F**K UP!

Jeez some people whinge about the smallest things............
Maybe you should sue the dealer.............
Is this honestly your second post......Relax with the internet tuff guy routine.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:31 AM
Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts
^lol 4 real chill

Old 09-30-2008, 11:46 AM
haha this reminds me of my rearview mirror now.. that thing rattled so much.. it actually broke off my windshield.. i was just driving around jammin one day and the damn thing fell off... it was just dangling and being held on by the connection... i was like wtf?? hahah i wish i had pictures.. it actually snapped right between the windshield mount and the little arm that sticks out.. clean off the windshield mount.. so i dont think adding weight to it would be too wise.. it'll add too much stress to that little joint

haha i keep thinkin about what the other drivers around me were thinkin cause i had my windows down and i'm sure they saw that it fell hahahah

but yea... dynamat, foam or just turn it down is really the only options

Old 10-01-2008, 08:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by donpisto
In my previous car, I just left it off, because it fell off too often. Ah, the days of a bass head when you're rolling around withi 145 dB music and your windshield flexing to the point where your windshield whipers can't even whipe off the rain.

I'd say turn the volume **** to the left, put up with it, or remove the headliner and see how the rear view mirror is connected, and then rather than adding weight, put open cell foam between the the rear view mirror and its mounting location.

Nothing flexes at only 145dBs, let alone the windshield, unless it's made of 1/8" plexiglass. At 145db your wiperblades couldn't wipe the rain off? My oh my, where do you pull this stuff out of? Amazing.

Old 10-02-2008, 01:48 AM
Originally Posted by G35er4life
Nothing flexes at only 145dBs, let alone the windshield, unless it's made of 1/8" plexiglass. At 145db your wiperblades couldn't wipe the rain off? My oh my, where do you pull this stuff out of? Amazing.
Wow, you obviously don't know what you're talking about. I easily got my windshield flexing in the upper 130 dB's. How do I know this? Well maybe because I owned a Term Lab, which is the official mic they use in dB Drag for competitions. My windshield wipers worked but imagined rolling a pencil on its tip on a surface that moves back and forth... it will NOT be a straight smooth line.

When I was doing 145 or so on music it was with a Soundstream XXX 6500 with a custom DD 9515d (one of only 12 made for Michael Hughes, a competitor) in a 5.5 cube ported box tuned to 38 Hz. I also had my RPM and speedometer gauges jumping from the bass. The RPM gauges were tough to get going with the Treo but the Soundstream made a noticeable difference.

Unfortunately I don't have any videos, otherwise I'd be able to prove you wrong. I've had NUMEROUS setups, probably at least 10, all within a about 6 months to a year. I've owned as much as 30 subs and 6 amps at one time so I'm no noob in this.

I'll give you a general idea of some of my setups. I used to have an 18" Soundsplinter RL-P of an RF T30001bd, also had a TC Sounds TC 5200 18" sub off the same amp, both were in 5 cubes sealed. Windshield didn't flex at much, because I had a sealed enclosure an the vehicle's peak frequency dropped from 57 Hz to somewhere in the low 30's, maybe 33 Hz. At 14 Hz my front windows would move about an inch or so when rolled down just a tad.

When I had my DD 9515d, I had it on a Treo SSX 1500.1 and it got the windshield to flex quite easily, but the Soundstream XXX 6500 was such an improvement to where I'm driving on the freeway doing 80 and I can see the windshield moving, usually I had to be driving slower, but it was VERY noticeable.

Here's a video for you:

The TC 5200 I mentioned, but off 1,000w in an enclosure with air leaks, doing nothing near what it did when it had triple the power and double the air space. The rattling was form a metal bar in the bumper that I thought some weather stripping would solve while the box was directly on the chassis, but it made it worse..the build was still in progress.

If I can find any videos on my computer or old memory card, I'll post them up, but I have none on youtube.

This isn't my vehicle, but similar, a 6th gen Accord. The guy states he's doing 140 dB...now tell me there is no windshield flex.

Old 10-02-2008, 02:58 AM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Nismoboy
haha this reminds me of my rearview mirror now.. that thing rattled so much.. it actually broke off my windshield.. i was just driving around jammin one day and the damn thing fell off... it was just dangling and being held on by the connection... i was like wtf?? hahah i wish i had pictures.. it actually snapped right between the windshield mount and the little arm that sticks out.. clean off the windshield mount.. so i dont think adding weight to it would be too wise.. it'll add too much stress to that little joint

haha i keep thinkin about what the other drivers around me were thinkin cause i had my windows down and i'm sure they saw that it fell hahahah

but yea... dynamat, foam or just turn it down is really the only options
Mine did the same thing except mine broke off while parked. I came out and saw the mirror dangling on the wire. It was a complete snap off. I took it to dealer and they replaced it for free. Cheap thing... I had more bass in my civic and never had a mirror snap.

Old 10-02-2008, 05:52 AM
Originally Posted by donpisto
or remove the headliner and see how the rear view mirror is connected
I never knew our rear view mirrors were connected to the roof/headliner... that plastic piece you see running down to the mirror base is just a cover for the wiring on mine...

Old 10-02-2008, 08:45 AM
Dealer replaced mine yesterday free of charge under warranty. The rattling was driving me crazy!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: anyone figure out how to get their rear view mirror to stop rattling with the bass