Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Picking a remote starter.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 06:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Picking a remote starter.

Guys,

I apologize about bringing up the same thread yet again, but out of 20+ pages worth of results based on the "remote starter" or "what remote starter", or "remote starter suggestion" etc, I couldn't find what I am looking for.

I am curious as to what remote starter is the best in your opinion..
I am considering getting this one right here
I did have a Viper alarm before.. and was not too happy with it.

What I am looking for is an alarm system with remote starter. Looking for a two way communication, and accessory inputs - so I could lower the windows, lock unlock doors.
Any suggestions, please?
Do you think the alarm i've linked to is a good one?

thank you in advance.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:04 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have Python Responder 881 (with remote start) and no problems after 5 years. People also have had good experience with CompuStar 3000.

Old 10-12-2008, 12:47 AM
im happy with mine i have a clifford 50.5x, it does a "mile" range but u know how that gets interfered depending on areas, i have like electronic tilt,extra siren, in cabin siren, shatter sensor, remote start (im a 6spd not a auto btw), has the roll down/up window mods, and im quite happy with it, kinda pricy but i think its defiantly worth it seeing how i use to have a compustar (which imo was crap) before.

Old 10-12-2008, 01:13 AM
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
First person I've ever heard referring to Compustar as crap. Care to elaborate?

You'll find many happy Compustar owners here (including myself, 3rd vehicle with one). They invented and focus on the long range 2-way market. I've heard good comments on the Autopage page line that you linked to as well, but they're not very common. Not sure that you'll get much feedback here on that brand.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:11 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been happy with my clifford RSX 3.3X (same as viper 5701 and python ???). It has 4 aux channels, right now I have it set to do my trunk, window roll up, window roll down, and automatic rear defroster activation.

Old 10-15-2008, 12:06 AM
Originally Posted by SiouxFallsG35
First person I've ever heard referring to Compustar as crap. Care to elaborate?

You'll find many happy Compustar owners here (including myself, 3rd vehicle with one). They invented and focus on the long range 2-way market. I've heard good comments on the Autopage page line that you linked to as well, but they're not very common. Not sure that you'll get much feedback here on that brand.
ive just had a really bad experience with it, like the range mainly sucked regardless how we had the antenna, we had it vertical, horizontal, hidden under liner, etc. it sopost to have the what 1/4 mile range? or 1/2 mile range, i couldnt walk more then 5 houses before it lost reception and wouldnt respond no more, sometimes if i were to lock or unlock it, it wouldnt respond to transponder even though it did the command. id go to a mall, lock it, walk about 15 cars down and no more response...

now clifford on other hand 1 word AMAZING it took almost a 10minute walk before it stoped responding, at the mall i can be half way across the mall and it will still respond, the most recent test was at Candlestick park... i was parked in section O/R... I was literally the Farthest u can possibly be from my car (where i was sitting section 21 row 17)at the niner game and IT actually responded I was quite surprised seeing how theres alot of interference in between

Old 10-15-2008, 11:18 AM
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
^Do you know which CompuStar model that was? Sounds like it may have been one of their entry level 2way units. I've had excellent range out of the 2w900 line which is their most popular series with 1 mile line of sight range. Currently using a 2w900 Pro and starting my car from the middle of a very large metal building with my car in the back of the parking lot. Metal buildings are usually a big problem.

How much did you put into your Clifford setup with all the bells and whistles? Mine's a pretty basic setup but was still close to $700 on a manual tranny install.

Old 10-15-2008, 12:02 PM
i dont remember the compustar model it was on my civic..

as for the clifford i think i paid 7-800 for full install which was the clifford 50.5x, auto start on my manual, shatter sensor, electronic tilt sensor, back up siren, in cabin siren, hood pin, hidden kill switch, oh and window mods to make them go up and down as i wish, and i think thats it lol....

Old 10-16-2008, 02:06 PM
Received 722 Likes on 601 Posts
I have a Viper 791xv. After 3 years, it doesn't interact with the factory alarm anymore, but everything else works. I haven't looked into it, but I'm thinking it's more of an installer issue than something with the actual alarm/starter.

Old 10-16-2008, 02:17 PM
I have a CompuStar Pro P2WSSR, Up to 6000 feet of Range. Remote start/Alarm and tons of Alarm Features.

http://www.compustar.com/main.htm

Old 10-28-2008, 02:15 PM
If you are still looking for an excellent remote starter/alarm let me know as I carry Python and Scytek, both with one mile range and lots of features that can be custom programmed for your needs, as well as different alarm features. A Scytek Precision remote start alarm with 1 mile range is $275 installed through the end of November.

Old 01-09-2009, 02:19 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
just as with everything in life, it depends on who is doing the work

*be ready to be shocked*

I had best buy do my remote start and they did a great job, everything worked and i was very happy. I talked to the installer for about 10 min and he seemed to know all the ins and outs. I had a viper 771 installed.

Do NOT always go with word of mouth, some times you get people who recomend stuff they have never tried

Old 01-18-2009, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by Chamoru671
I have a CompuStar Pro P2WSSR, Up to 6000 feet of Range. Remote start/Alarm and tons of Alarm Features.

http://www.compustar.com/main.htm
how much did you get this for?

Old 01-18-2009, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by MAUI808
how much did you get this for?
550.00 + 140.00 installed..

Old 01-20-2009, 06:04 PM
personally - from an installer standpoint - the compustar stuff over the past couple years (not including this year -cuz we dropped it) was REALLY unreliable, to the point we were selling the cheaper and more reliable units - that was entry level (4button) and the 2 way pager system, I never really paid attention to the model number of them I just referred to them as the compucrap.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Picking a remote starter.