Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

How to build a safe POWER SUPPLY?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2008 | 03:48 PM
|
How to build a safe POWER SUPPLY?

Are there any DIYs on this?

I'll be getting a Double Din, and wanted to take care of everything at the same time. Lets say I want a Playstation or Computer in the passenger dash board.

I know there are inverters that take the 12 volts from your cigarette lighter and convert them to AC, but is there a professional way of going directly from you battery? And is there a safety that will cut the power if the battery begins to drain?

Old 10-13-2008 | 03:51 PM
Lots of switches and fuses is the safest way to go with getting all of those items installed.

Old 10-14-2008 | 02:58 PM
For an inverter, don't use the cig lighter. It has a positive and negative so you can hook up the negative as a ground and the power to the battery (make sure you fuse it, but more than likely it should be fused).

If you need one, I have a Vector 750w (goes for over 100 bucks at Lowes and Home Depot). I had intentions of using it with my XBOX 360 in my previous car but never got around to it. I can sell it for quite cheap and it will be plenty of power.

Make sure you have the big 3 done, and I'd recommend an upgraded a battery (I prefer Odyssey, because they are great daily batteries and have better reserve ratings than others). Depening on what you want you may or may not need to upgrade the battery, but that is one approach and if you are going even further adding more electronics, depending on its extent an additional battery and/or an upgraded alternator will be of use.

Use copper or tinned copper lugs for a solid connection. I can link you to a place that sells them for a good price that I've bought from several times. For wires, make sure your equipment is fused properly and you are using the proper gauge. Use good wire. Some wires state a certain gauge but they may just have a thicker sleeve and the amount of strands (make sure its copper or tinned copper again) is what really counts.