Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

USA Spec Vs. Perpherial Elect. PXAMG-A

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 01:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no ones bought the PXAMG-A yet?

I cant find one review or video on the net. I'd like to see how it works with out stock bose systems.

It seems like a cheap replacement compared to changing the radio and adding the metra kit with those cheap buttons

Old 02-03-2009, 01:55 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
from looking at the pic of the PXAMG, i doubt u can display text on stereo bcuz i see aux plug for sound and another plug for charging...

i have the USA spec and i love it.. crystal clear sound.. able to use steering wheel to control music.. even though it doesn't display songs on the stereo, i have my ipod mounted right next to it

Old 02-03-2009, 02:00 PM
Does it charge the ipod?

your able to change the track with the steering wheel controls?

Old 02-06-2009, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by mx22o
from looking at the pic of the PXAMG, i doubt u can display text on stereo bcuz i see aux plug for sound and another plug for charging...

i have the USA spec and i love it.. crystal clear sound.. able to use steering wheel to control music.. even though it doesn't display songs on the stereo, i have my ipod mounted right next to it
Nope theres an actual adapter/30 pin connector made for the apple Ipod...

Old 02-07-2009, 01:05 AM
I am looking to install this PXAMG-A on my G. I have found today that Best Buy in Aventura FL has the HDRT (HD radio tuner from iSimple) for $59.99, the lowest I've found anywhere. So, after a lot of research I think this is the best unit for me (the PXAMG-A) b/c I use the steering wheel controls quite often (to skip tracks on my cd's) and the names of the songs do show on the stereo (
) plus there is some functionality from the radio buttons like playlists, artists, albums, genres, etc. It is not the best way to look for a particular song when you have 500+ albums on the ipod but that's why you have to plan ahead and make playlists. Reading the online instructions for this adapter I noticed that you can't control the ipod directly when it is connected b/c it is in external control mode BUT if you switch from SAT to AUX then you can. See page 31 of the manual ( http://www.peripheralelectronics.com...PGHNI1_Web.pdf ). Hope this helps a bit and thanks to bradakrez and fishhouse for the great info on the installation. Peace out!!!

Old 02-14-2009, 10:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd be interested to hear how it works. I'm considering one also. Please post back.

Old 02-14-2009, 11:51 PM
I ordered the PXAMG-A and hardness from ebay and should be getting it soon. I also have the HDRT unit. Will let you know how it works when installed.

Old 02-15-2009, 10:53 AM
If you don't mind, I'd like to know how the connector that attches to the Ipod compares to the size of the Apple USB charging cables, when you get it. I have a hard case on my Iphone and some aftermarket cables have a connector that is too big (too wide) to fit in the hole made for the Apple sized connector plug.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:32 AM
I have installed the PXAMG and it works very well. My only complaint is that you need to press the steering wheel button for 2 full seconds for the track to change. On the head unit it's instantly. The connector is 1"x3/8" oval shaped and the apple one is 1"x1/4" rectangular shaped. Hope this helps. Overall, the unit is very good, not too hard to install and you can control the ipod directly or thru the HU. Sound is very good and I usually have it at level 20 around 70+ mph. I decided to return the HD radio part b/c after I did some more research it turns out the programming is similar to the regular FM. Lame.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by wompem
...I have a hard case on my Iphone and some aftermarket cables have a connector that is too big (too wide) to fit in the hole made for the Apple sized connector plug.
If the connector is too big I have one word for you: Dremel.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kacatoo
I have installed the PXAMG and it works very well. My only complaint is that you need to press the steering wheel button for 2 full seconds for the track to change. On the head unit it's instantly. The connector is 1"x3/8" oval shaped and the apple one is 1"x1/4" rectangular shaped. Hope this helps. Overall, the unit is very good, not too hard to install and you can control the ipod directly or thru the HU. Sound is very good and I usually have it at level 20 around 70+ mph. I decided to return the HD radio part b/c after I did some more research it turns out the programming is similar to the regular FM. Lame.

hey kacatoo. as you've probably read, i'd like to add the PXAMG to my iPod AUX Adapter Comparison chart on my site. if i where to send you a few more specific questions about features, installation, etc - would you be willing to answer them for me so that i can add this information? also, did you happen to take any photos before/during/after installation?

Old 02-23-2009, 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by MetalDrummer
If the connector is too big I have one word for you: Dremel.
Unfortunatly, that means I have to choose between using the Dremel on my case or the connector. Most of the connectors I've had the problem with have release buttons on the sides. So Dremeling them makes for an issue removing. And I have a nice Otterbox case that has a hard surround and a silocone jacket that has rubber plugs that fill all the openings to protect the Iphone. So, Dremmeling it means basically removing the protection I bought it for.

On the other hand, Circuit City had one fo the PXAMG's for sale in their closeout. $60. It had a Ford harness, so I need to get another harness, but that is about $20. Given they go for about $130+ elsewhere, I figure its worth it. The only thing I'm worried about is that some sites say you need a PXAMG-A for the Nissan spplecations. But the manufacturer's website doesn't mention anything but the PXAMG as a part number and shows it being compatible with Infiniti. One site sort of inferred that the PXAMG-A was a combo pack of PXAMG + the Nissan harness. (They had PXAMG-F for Ford, PXAMG-T for Toyota, etc....). I've got a customer request into Peripheral to find out for sure.

Kacatoo, was your part marked with PXAMG-A or just the box? Also, the Peripheral site says that you have to do a flash on the box for Infiniti compatibility. Did you have to do that?

Sorry for all the questions, but you seem to be the only one that I can find that has done this on the G35 so far.

(Oh, by the way, the plug on the one I bought fits just fine in my case. So the Dremel goes back into the box for the mean time.)

Thanks

Old 02-23-2009, 10:46 PM
fishhouse

Yes I did take some pics during the install and just let me know what want questions you have so that you can add this install to your list. I assume you need comments on all the steps on your chart. No problem.

wompem

For my surprise, the unit was labeled PXAMG and after calling tech support they told me that because the firmware on my unit had the version XXXXX.36 it was compatible with infiniti. The version on the unit is labeled on its side. Call them to see if it is compatible. I had to update my firmware btw. No flashing needed as far as I know. My G is an '06 coupe, Bose system. Here are some pics.

Attached Thumbnails USA Spec Vs. Perpherial Elect. PXAMG-A-img_0657.jpg   USA Spec Vs. Perpherial Elect. PXAMG-A-img_0658.jpg  
Old 02-24-2009, 12:27 AM
Kacatoo,

Thanks for the info on the version number. I'll check this weekend when I get back home.

Update the firmware is what I meant when I mentioned flashing.

Where'd you run the ipod cable to? I was figuring I'd just run it to the center console compartment. I was going to install the RCA/3.5mm cable at the same time as the second input. (just in case I ever needed it in the future).

BTW, Fishhouse, love your site.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:07 PM
I installed the ipod on the center console but did not run the rca cables. A good place to put the extra 6 ft. of cable is under the armrest next to the backseat ashtray. When you do the install, remove back ashtray and the armrest (4 screws) so that you can run your cables easily. I used a wire hanger to fish them under the console. BTW, you'll get a "Service Engine Soon" light when you reconnect the battery and the shifter is on Drive. It will go away after a few days (6 for me). Try putting the shifter on Neutral and handbrake (3rd pedal) before you unplug the battery; maybe you won't get the Engine light after wards.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: USA Spec Vs. Perpherial Elect. PXAMG-A