Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

05 g35 coupe...can you not use the trunk as a subwoofer box instead of having a box?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 11:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
05 g35 coupe...can you not use the trunk as a subwoofer box instead of having a box?

Soo...i used to remember that you could use trunks to act as subwoofer boxes.

has anyone done this or know what to do?

I have a 10", 12" and 15"....

thanks

Old 01-07-2009, 12:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its called infinite baffle or free air. Basically the idea is to fully isolate the front wave (from the cone side) and the rear wave (from the magnet side). It works very well when done correctly. You would need to make sure your trunk is as isolated as possible from the rest of the cabin ( no holes where the 6x9's were in the rear deck...etc). You mount the sub to a board just behind the rear seat, so the cone faces the front of the car. You obviously have to ensure that no air can move between the trunk and the cabin. It usually produces excellent results when done well, but is very hard to do well. It would probably be easier to just build a box, but it would save space to go infinite baffle.

PS, it helps to use a sub that is at least spec'd out for IB. Google it, you should find more info if you're interested.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:29 AM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Kicker is the inventer of Free Air subs, and I have had 3 of the now. I had a single set up in a cavalier, then a dual set up and I have my third waiting to go into the G, I just havent had the time to cut the board. I can tell you this. If you are planning, two tens would fit better than a single 12. And I can tell you the 15 wont work. There just simply isnt enough room to install it and still save space.

Free air subs are designed to use the large spaces such as a trunk as an encloser, and they are also great in bandpass boxes. They will sound great in the car, but dont expect the sound to travel much outside the car.

I loved the way mine sounded, and everyone that I came across was always shocked at how they would sound.

(BTW, I used to install for a local shop and Circuit City. I have had sealed enclosers in my trunk as well, but loved how I was always able to keep my trunk space with the free air subs)

Old 01-08-2009, 12:39 PM
Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts
Kicker free air huh? Hold on to those bad boys, they are quite rare. There are several subs that you can use free air. Here's a few at the top of my head (no particular order: Exodus Audio DPL, Image Dynamics IDMAX, Fi Infinite Baffle, Soundsplinter RL-p, numerous TC Sounds subs, and AE Speakers has one as well.

Realize that with an IB setup, you only need about half the power the sub is rated for, unless they are specifically designed for IB setups. The IDMAX can be used in sealed, ported, or IB. Power handling on it is 1,000w rms I believe so 500w is PLENTY for that sub when used in IB.

With the coupe, a 15" might be hard to do. I'd actually go for dual 12's, but it all depends if you have the space for it. You need a certain amount of air space given the speaker's specifications, though I can't quite remember what it is, but it involves the speaker's Vas if I remember correctly.

As others have mentioned, you need a perfect seal for IB. The rear deck, and any point on from the baffle must have NO air leaks. This means you MIGHT have to seal off (using expanding foam) from the inner quarter panels (if air goes out them, not sure if it does).

Old 03-09-2009, 11:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ihave a kicker L7, 12" and cant fit it in my trunk in the current box i have.You dont happen tolive near Silver Spring MD do you, I would pay you for install help. i dont know much about this stuff.