Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Why LOC?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 09:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I can just splice my amps high level inputs from the rear speaker, and then just run power and ground?? And if so how well would that work........

Old 03-22-2009, 10:54 PM
Originally Posted by TwinInfin
So I can just splice my amps high level inputs from the rear speaker, and then just run power and ground?? And if so how well would that work........
Theoretically, yes- but the speaker signal will have the crappy BOSE processing and the rear speaker is NOT a full bandwidth signal. Even the factory sub has a roll off/ssf at lower frequencies

Just get a pair of twisted-pair RCA's that are easy to splice and splice into the harness BEFORE the amp so you get the full bandwidth signal to start with

Old 03-22-2009, 10:55 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
^ If you have the Bose system, you should tap the signal before it enters the Bose amp. Then feed it into the RCA inputs of your amp.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:38 AM
Originally Posted by Gilley
^ If you have the Bose system, you should tap the signal before it enters the Bose amp. Then feed it into the RCA inputs of your amp.
oops i forgot the "if he has the bose system" part and just assumed he did

Old 03-23-2009, 11:40 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here is the answer I think you are looking for. On the Bose system, the head unit outputs ARE low level signals (pre-amp level, not speaker level, whatever you want to call it). The issue that some amps have with connecting the low level signals directly is that the outputs from the Bose HU are DIFFERENTIAL/BALANCED. Not all amps know what to do with this type of signal. Most RCA's that come with aftermarket radios are single ended, not differential.

A lot of times people can use a LOC to convert the differential signal from the Bose HU to single ended to use with amps that cannot handle differential signals. I know the JL amps can handle differential inputs, so you can splice them directly.

Hope that helps

Last edited by MidnightG35X; 03-24-2009 at 11:01 AM.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:05 PM
Originally Posted by manbeer
oops i forgot the "if he has the bose system" part and just assumed he did
I should have mentioned I do not have bose system, just regular stock hu w/ out the stock amp in the trunk. So still high level inputs or should I LOC to RCA's??

Old 03-24-2009, 09:51 AM
^^^^^^????????

Old 04-04-2009, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by MidnightG35X
Here is the answer I think you are looking for. On the Bose system, the head unit outputs ARE low level signals (pre-amp level, not speaker level, whatever you want to call it). The issue that some amps have with connecting the low level signals directly is that the outputs from the Bose HU are DIFFERENTIAL/BALANCED. Not all amps know what to do with this type of signal. Most RCA's that come with aftermarket radios are single ended, not differential.

A lot of times people can use a LOC to convert the differential signal from the Bose HU to single ended to use with amps that cannot handle differential signals. I know the JL amps can handle differential inputs, so you can splice them directly.

Hope that helps
Well this must be why my system doesn't sound nearly as good as it did in my other car with my pioneer HU. I think I'm gonna just tap into the post-Bose outputs too. I guess I shouldn't need an LOC since I have line-level inputs on my rockford fosgate 500X. Anyone know if that one is one that can accept the balanced inputs from the Bose HU? How does it sound when it can't accept balanced inputs?

I am so not looking forward to bearing four more wires and splicing and what not.

Or do I just need to use the LOC on the low-level outputs I've already tapped to get rid of this differential or balanced business. (They are the same thing, right?)

Old 04-05-2009, 04:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just cut a twisted strand RCA cable in half, spliced one end to the wires before the amp and plugged the RCA end directly into my kicker amp. Everything works fine

Old 04-06-2009, 12:04 AM
if you have an amp that takes speaker level inputs, like the alpine ones,
can you just connect to these speaker level inputs by tapping into the speaker wires going into the BOSE amp?

speaker level inputs would eliminate the need to use RCAs right?

Old 04-06-2009, 07:45 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by matador
if you have an amp that takes speaker level inputs, like the alpine ones,
can you just connect to these speaker level inputs by tapping into the speaker wires going into the BOSE amp?

speaker level inputs would eliminate the need to use RCAs right?
No. The Bose HU does not have speaker level outputs. That is why the Bose amp is there.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by TwinInfin
^^^^^^????????
I would assume LOC. If the non-bose HU outputs speaker level, you could need a LOC unless your amp accepts speaker level inputs. I don't have a non-bose, so I can't be 100% on that.

Originally Posted by obsdnoblivion
Well this must be why my system doesn't sound nearly as good as it did in my other car with my pioneer HU. I think I'm gonna just tap into the post-Bose outputs too. I guess I shouldn't need an LOC since I have line-level inputs on my rockford fosgate 500X. Anyone know if that one is one that can accept the balanced inputs from the Bose HU? How does it sound when it can't accept balanced inputs?

I am so not looking forward to bearing four more wires and splicing and what not.

Or do I just need to use the LOC on the low-level outputs I've already tapped to get rid of this differential or balanced business. (They are the same thing, right?)
Tapping into the post bose outputs almost defeats the entire purpose because you are still going to have all the bose processing done. If you splice in RCA's into the post-bose outputs and hook it up to your line-level inputs on your 500X, you are going to be overdriving it horribly. You will be hooking up speaker level wires into your line level amp inputs. It does look like the 500X has speaker level inputs, so it is one way to do it. Again, you will still have all the bose processing though.

You should be able to use a LOC to convert the differential to single ended before the bose amp.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:09 PM
Thanks Midnight. I think I'm going to be trying one of the AudioControl signal processor things from Crutchfield. They've got a whole list of units. I had not expected to be out of a hundred or hundred and fifty smackers, but I guess this might be what it takes. The Crutchfield guy I talked to recommended that MTX re-Q thing. It doesn't say specifically that it accepts balanced differential input like the LC7 or that 600 dollar DQL-8 say explicity, but one of its features listed in the hands-on research tab is "balanced bass." Not exactly sure if it's doing the same kind of processing that the LC7 and DQL-8 are probably doing, but I guess there's only one way to know for sure: ordering it and hooking it up. I may just go ahead and order an re-Q and and LC7 and see which is best and return the other, which Crutchfield allows. Only thing is the LC7 is currently out of stock. I'll bet people on this site bought them all.

Last edited by obsdnoblivion; 04-06-2009 at 01:15 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:02 AM
I would email Scosche about the SLC-4 on crutchfield. http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142SLC4...4.html?tp=2001

Just ask them if you can hook up a differential input to it. The SLC-4 has a gain setting, so you should be able to boost up the signal or not. I don't think you need to spend $100+ just to get a signal to your amp that will work.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:21 PM
Well, Crutchfield has a money-back guarantee. Well, they did last I bought something. I'm just gonna get one from them and hear what happens.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why LOC?