Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I switch an 03 Center Console with 05-07 Center Console (including radio)?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 08:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I switch an 03 Center Console with 05-07 Center Console (including radio)?

Currently, my CD changer in my Bose radio is locked up. I know this is a known issue, as this has already happened to me one other time while still under warranty. I also would like have a hard wire iPod or MP3 port without having to do extensive modification or wiring.

My question: Is it possible to change out the center console and radio of my 2003 G35 Coupe with a 05-07 console and radio? If this is possible, does the 05-07 radios have iPod or MP3 ports?

Please feel free to offer any advice. Thanks.

Old 03-22-2009, 11:43 AM
technically yes......the radio is really the same without the cassette. So in general you should be able to use the radio however the bezel no.The bezels are completely different as your bezel is also part of the vents while 05 has separate vents. You could retro fit the 05 6MT center console with no problems though. If you want to do that i have one for sale just pm me.

Old 03-22-2009, 12:40 PM
05-07 does not have ipod or mp3 ports, but for $150 you could add a unit to do so...

Old 03-22-2009, 03:02 PM
my 2nd '03 changer has been flaky for years... added a PAC aux in and never looked back. I dont think I could even tell you if I had CDs in there anymore. Been over a year since I bothered to even try to listen to a CD. I do have to boost the signal from my MP3 player to get full volume. a boosteroo works nicely for that. Had I had the boosteroo when I installed the PAC, I would have hardwired it. As it is, I have to put a couple AA batts in the boosteroo every couple weeks.

Old 04-04-2009, 02:12 AM
Originally Posted by Chekz
technically yes......the radio is really the same without the cassette. So in general you should be able to use the radio however the bezel no.The bezels are completely different as your bezel is also part of the vents while 05 has separate vents. You could retro fit the 05 6MT center console with no problems though. If you want to do that i have one for sale just pm me.
So on the 05 are the vents a separate piece from the dash? I'm trying to foresee how much work would be required to swap out the 03 for the 05. It just looks so much better!

Old 04-04-2009, 09:38 AM
After much consideration, I decided to purchase a Clarion VX709 Touch Screen Dbl Din with MP3, WMA, iPod, DVD, CD(R), XM ready, Nav Ready, etc, etc, etc. I picked up a brand new one from Eclectic Mart for $589 (retail $1000/Crutchfield $800) and received it within 48 hours on a Saturday!!! Brand new, sealed in box, great seller!

Clarion Manufacturer Link:
http://www.clarion.com/us/en/product...409024085.html

EclecticMart Link:
http://www.eclectic-mart.com/servlet...dsh-DIN/Detail

I also puchased the apapter for iPod Charging/Connector and the Steering Wheel interface adapter.

I still have to purchase the replacement console piece for a double din head unit. Color match, durability and fit are my primary concerns. Any suggestions or info welcome.
** ANY ADVICE OR COMPLAINTS ON WHICH ONE TO GET OR NOT TO GET? **

I will stop back and give my opinion, provide some pics and so forth, once I have installed it.