Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Parrot bluetooth kit install problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 03:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Parrot bluetooth kit install problem

Hi,

New to the forums - actually, this is really on my father's behalf. He has an '03 G35 no nav (got it first month it was out, previously had a '93 J30 also purchased first month it was out; Mom is still driving her '96 I30 bought June '95). Yes, we are an Infiniti family (although I drive a '98 Ford Contour SVT, modified - I didn't have Infiniti-level funds when I bought it ).

For his birthday, I got him a Parrot bluetooth kit at Best Buy and installed there as well. Parrot CK3100 link The guy there installed it - said it was really difficult due to the amps - but it does one weird thing. Whenever he uses it, the climate control gets overridden and goes to full auto setting. The tech said there is nothing he could do about it as the HVAC controls and stereo is linked. This sounds like a sorry excuse. I see from the forums here that there are some harnesses and such they could have used. Otherwise, the kit works great - mutes the radio, uses the front left speaker.

He typically does not use the HVAC with full auto - he likes to control the fan speed manually.

Any advice how this can be fixed? Difficult for me to help as I'm in DC area and he is in Dallas, besides making some calls. My father is, how do I put this delicately, not very technologically proficient.

Thanks in advance. Next thing I'm going to search for is new brakes for him - Infiniti has replaced his twice under warranty (first set under 6k miles and he is anything but a rough driver). I know that is a problem with the '03 and '04 MY.

Steven

Old 04-30-2009, 02:49 AM
ugg... they've really screwed things up I'm afraid.. I have no idea what he's hacked on in there, but I suspect he's damaged the AC/Radio combo board. Not a cheap fix.

what you need is here
http://www.quickconnectproducts.com/Find/QCHBB-NI.htm
sorry, its in a frame I cant link.. but you can look it up from here
http://www.quickconnectproducts.com

Thats a no cut harness with preamp+relays that works PERFECTLY. I've been using one of their harnesses with a 3200LS and its flawless. It even keeps its own volume levels. I know that seems like a high price, but its worth every penny.. It works so well that I can often listen to music between rings (when I call out). haha.
btw, here's my 3200

I'm actually putting in a double din in 2 weeks.. My QCHBB-NI will be for sale (along with the Parrot). I could separate and make you a very good deal, but I dont know if that fits your time frame.. and well, I'm kinda worried about what the installer has done (and broken). The QC harness goes between the radio and amp, so I dont know how they've messed up so badly. I dont know if doing it properly with the QCHBB-NI is going to allow the HVAC board to work properly again. But, that would be on Best Buy.

I also have a 03. And when through so many pads (and rotors) it was sickening.. and expensive. I finally found some 05+ (non brembo) brakes, complete set, for under 350. That was pads, rotors and calipers. There a huge difference in rotor size. It helps so much. I don't even see dust anymore. maybe if I dont wash the car for 2-3 weeks. Wear is exactly what you'd expect now, instead of 18 months, I'll easily double that with the 05 brakes.. maybe even triple the mileage before my next brake job. Changing over to a complete 05+ caliper and rotor setup is cheaper than one brake job (with rotors) on the 03.

feel free to PM me on either subject, be happy to help.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:50 PM
When you installed the harness did you have to disassemble the whole dash or could you do it from the side.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:51 PM
well, no way around removing the radio to plug it in the back (QCHBB-NI). But while alot more time consuming than it should be, it's no big deal after the first time.

as far as routing the display into the cubby, I had to drill a hole. Now they have a model with a remote display. No wires... I really want to sell mine and buy that.. Or do the double din. It's been a year since I posted that, and I got a double din. A JVC AVX820. I tested it before installing (on a 12v powersupply) and the Bluetooth just sucked compared to the Parrot. No phonebook sync. hardly any features and no better quality.. I have the JVC to my wife and still use my Parrot. :/ I guess the only way to keep the Parrot is to drop $$$$ on the Kenwood DNX with Parrot BT in it.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:32 PM
Thanks, hoping there was away around taking out the radio it really is a lot of work. I had my radio replaced by a guy that did it all the time and it took over an hour and is really time consuming and overly difficult.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:40 PM
after it has been released once, the tabs are generally much more easy to release. like the clock bezel. the only difficult thing I think is making sure you dont damage the the ribbon cable under the radio.

But, i'll say this.. the Parrot is the best money I've probably spent on my car... ever. It continues to be one the few tech things in my life that doesnt frustrate me on some level. I have one problem right now, I installed SPB Mobile Shell on my WinMo phone. It takes over contacts (which is SWEET compared to the regular WinMo), but now Parrot cant always sync my contacts on the fly because it's in use on the phone. but thats not a parrot issue. and most of the time, it still gets all my contacts anyway.. it just thinks it couldnt.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:42 PM
btw, I'm alittle tired of this in the cubby.. wish I had routed it elsewhere, so I could use the cubby for a widescreen GPS.