Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM navigation - ?s about maintenance screens

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 09:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OEM navigation - ?s about maintenance screens

I've got a 2004 G35 coupe with the stock navigation. Soon I'll be installing a DD in-dash navigation/stereo system and I was thinking about removing the stock navigation just to reclaim some space. That's when I remembered that the stock navigation also provides maintenance info on the car - fuel economy, trip, diagnostic info when indicator lights are on, etc etc. Are those maintenance screens a function of the navigation system, or is it supplied from somewhere else? Basically what I'm trying to get at - is it possible to get this info on my aftermarket navigation screen? If not I may just keep the stock system in there.

Old 05-07-2009, 12:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is not transferrable (the information you want) to the new DDin at all.

Do you not have those maintenance information items on your ODO/Speedometer gauge cluster ?

Old 05-07-2009, 12:44 PM
To give you a specific example, the other day I got a "Service Engine Soon" light on my gauge cluster. I then opened up the navigation screen and it gives me about 8 pages of diagnostic information and things to try to remedy the problem such as tighten the fuel cap, possible emissions problem, etc. Another example - if the low fuel light indicator comes on, the navigation screen tells you fuel is low and how many miles until empty. I was curious if that was a function of the navigation system or something else. I know it wouldn't be on the navigation DVD, so maybe it's in the firmware of the DVD-ROM unit or something. Was just wondering if anyone looked into that before.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:04 PM
ah, i see -- that information has since been incorporated into the gauge cluster on '07+ G's...

i guess you're keepin' your navi.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:40 PM
I'm still on the fence. I already bought the pocket that goes in it's place, and I didn't even think of this until after the fact. Although, it would be pretty pimp to have 2 different navigation systems...but not quite as pimp as 3. I guess I just have to figure out where I really want to store my Ipod first.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:09 PM
Um... if you get an aftermarket DDin .. you can run the ipod wire to the Center armrest were most people put it (second popular place is in that bin at the base of the center console)..

seems like a no brainer... keep yer existing navi... buy the DDin too

Old 05-08-2009, 01:42 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
get fancy LOC such as the ROckford 3sixty or JL clean sweep

you will keep all your factory stuff and have the ability to add amps and have a great eq

Old 05-08-2009, 01:59 PM
Nah, I don't want to keep my factory stuff anymore. I wanted to keep everything stock, I had an Xbox hooked up to the navi, had a nice setup for a while. But now I can do everything I want with an iPod and aftermarket deck, and use the same space for an amp and sub instead of the Xbox and power converter.

I had the battery drain issue which I suspect was the factory radio, but it's been inconsistent. But more importantly I want Bluetooth in my car for the phone, and a good navigation system that is actually updated with current streets/expressways. There was a new expressway opened near me a year and a half ago, and according to the company that does the updates for Infiniti, changes are 2-3 years out which is ridiculous.

Anyways, I took this opportunity to turn this into a big project. I got the JDM DD kit, I'm putting in a Kenwood DNX7140, replacing all the speakers, putting in a JL Audio G6600 amp and a 10" sub. I'll probably sound deaden the car a bit too. This is going to be one big *** project, and just trying to get all my bases covered. I figured I'd pull out the stock navi and reclaim some extra pocket space. Originally I didn't want to drill a hole in the armrest space to pull in the iPod cable, but I'm rethinking that. I want something that's easy to access and remove since I'll be using the same iPod in both of my cars.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:04 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
you wont have to drill a hole for anything

run your ipod cable from behind and put the ipod in your glove box

Old 05-08-2009, 02:22 PM
i'm sure you'll figure it out -- good luck.