Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Installing Satellite radio

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 08:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing Satellite radio

Hi,

I was thinking of adding satellite radio to my car (2006 G35 coupe). Can someone confirm if this model is pre-wired for satellite?

Also, would that be for XM or Sirius - or either? And should I have it installed through the dealer?

I'm sick of listening to talking/commercials all the time...Any suggestions would be appreciated, as I don't know much about satellite radio.

Thanks for your help.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:33 AM
The 06 should be prewired for satellite; I'd verify with dealership, but I'm 85% positive.

I have had both XM and Sirius and like Sirius much better because of the live dj's and personalities they have. XM and Sirius are now the same company, and they're hurtin for cash, so you may see some changes on the way. All I know is that I've had Sat Radio since 02 and will NEVER do without again.
Here's your problem... from the dealership the module to make your Sat radio work is like 300 bucks; ebay... 200ish.

I'm being faced with this same issue right now, and I'm thinkin for the money I'd rather put in a whole new headunit and get the Sat Radio that way. I'm not saying it's cheaper...it's just hard fo me to swallow that kinda cash and keep a factory headunit.

You CAN do an fm modulated unit cheaper, and if your not looking for an all out blasting system that's not a bad option...certainly cheaper, but if you value music quality and intend on upgrading any other system components go ahead and get the direct connected system and do it right.

Good Luck!

Old 05-14-2009, 03:21 PM
Thanks for your reply!

Assuming my car is pre-wired, the "module" that the dealer would install would then connect to my existing radio? Would they need to install a separate [external] antenna as well?

Also, what's the difference with a "plug-and-play" satellite receiver? Would purchasing that still require the same set-up from the dealer?

Thanks again for your help...sorry, I'm new to satellite radio.

Old 05-14-2009, 04:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is where I got my satellite receiver from: Link

Your car should be prewired, so all you need to buy is the receiver and an antenna. Save yourself $$$ an install it yourself. I installed mine myself and it's super easy. You literally just plug in the receiver and run the antenna and that's it.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by bpass
Thanks for your reply!

Assuming my car is pre-wired, the "module" that the dealer would install would then connect to my existing radio? Would they need to install a separate [external] antenna as well?

Also, what's the difference with a "plug-and-play" satellite receiver? Would purchasing that still require the same set-up from the dealer?

Thanks again for your help...sorry, I'm new to satellite radio.
-Yes there is always an external antenna

-Plug and Play is usually FM modulated meaning that it broadcasts the signal through an available unused FM channel to your stereo- it's not the highest quality...but then again, it's not like crap... just like your listening to normal radio versus the clarity of satellite is usually much better.

- Mikes post has a GREAT link, that's one of the best prices I've seen for these units new. - if you want it, go that route. Good find!

Old 05-14-2009, 08:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Definitely install it yourself. It's a fairly basic install with good directions, for the Sedan at least.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:14 PM
It's really straight forward for the coupe as well.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:51 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike_Deezy
This is where I got my satellite receiver from: Link

Your car should be prewired, so all you need to buy is the receiver and an antenna. Save yourself $$$ an install it yourself. I installed mine myself and it's super easy. You literally just plug in the receiver and run the antenna and that's it.
I assume you have to buy the antenna kit too? Right?

Old 06-14-2009, 09:06 PM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
plug and play is not fm modulated. the sirius or xm receiver module plugs directly into the wire harness in the rear of the car under the cargo area. it is controlled directly through your factory head unit by pressing the sat button. there is no external antenna so most people route the antenna through the rear seat and let it sit on the rear cargo/speaker deck.

The following users liked this post:
c35 (05-08-2012)
Old 06-15-2009, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by slimjim2525
I assume you have to buy the antenna kit too? Right?
Yes, you have to buy an antenna as well.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:14 AM
Originally Posted by speedracerg35
plug and play is not fm modulated. the sirius or xm receiver module plugs directly into the wire harness in the rear of the car under the cargo area. it is controlled directly through your factory head unit by pressing the sat button. there is no external antenna so most people route the antenna through the rear seat and let it sit on the rear cargo/speaker deck.
My factory radio does not have a sat button, just am/fm. Will the xm work through this kind of radio if I add the xm receiver?

Old 06-28-2009, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by slimjim2525
My factory radio does not have a sat button, just am/fm. Will the xm work through this kind of radio if I add the xm receiver?
Interested in this as well..

Old 06-28-2009, 09:39 PM
Cool

Originally Posted by zhuey
Interested in this as well..
If your radio has the SAT Button it should be prewired
Also if you have a 05+ model with the RADIO button, it should also be prewired,

Its pretty easy to check , just remove the spare from the trunk, and the side plastic cover beside it on the driver side, you should see the connector just laying there, just a white pluggin with nothing plugged in, if the plug is there then its prewired, just have to plug the module in and the radio reconized it immidiately,

hope this helps

Old 06-28-2009, 09:52 PM
I had the xm receiver installed and it works fine through the factory stereo, even though it does not have a sat. button.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:10 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
I just received my satellite radio kit from Grubbs. My module has places for two plugs, but my car only has one wiring harness. Nonetheless, the radio seems to recognize the satellite module. Is there supposed to be more than one plug?

Also, any tips on mounting the module? The kit came with lots of sticky tape and wire ties, etc.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Installing Satellite radio