Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RADAR DETECTORS-Valentine 1 Vs BEl STI Driver

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 11:36 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
I find that very interesting. Since almost all of the tests I have seen in the past have put the V-1 and the 8500 within single digit percentage points apart. Sumpin ain't right there.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just wanted to chime in and agree with some of the guys here, don't buy a detector for laser detection. I have a V1 and yesterday my laser warning went off for the first time from an actual cop. Before, the only time I get laser warning is from cars with the speed sensing cruise-control (Like the Infiniti FX...slows the car down automatically if it detects are car in front getting closer). I had my V1 for 2 years now and that was a first. Luckily I wasn't going too fast and I was in some traffic...but the warning went off probably a good .5-1 mile away from where the cop was standing outside the car pointing the gun at traffic. More often than not, if your laser warning goes off...you're already caught.

http://www.valentine1.com/laserhowto/

And definitely get Mike's Mount. The cleanest looking install and provides the best place to mount it for optimal detection.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by slizzap
Just wanted to chime in and agree with some of the guys here, don't buy a detector for laser detection. I have a V1 and yesterday my laser warning went off for the first time from an actual cop. Before, the only time I get laser warning is from cars with the speed sensing cruise-control (Like the Infiniti FX...slows the car down automatically if it detects are car in front getting closer). I had my V1 for 2 years now and that was a first. Luckily I wasn't going too fast and I was in some traffic...but the warning went off probably a good .5-1 mile away from where the cop was standing outside the car pointing the gun at traffic. More often than not, if your laser warning goes off...you're already caught.

http://www.valentine1.com/laserhowto/

And definitely get Mike's Mount. The cleanest looking install and provides the best place to mount it for optimal detection.
Let me clarify that last statement. Yes it's the cleanest way (using an "Invisicord") and yes, it's the best place for RADAR detection, but NOT laser. The closer to the front plate and headlights you can get it, the better chance you have on laser. So the top of the dash is best for laser.

Old 05-25-2009, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by Texasscout
Let me clarify that last statement. Yes it's the cleanest way (using an "Invisicord") and yes, it's the best place for RADAR detection, but NOT laser. The closer to the front plate and headlights you can get it, the better chance you have on laser. So the top of the dash is best for laser.
Top of the dash doesn't have a clear shot through the back window, and the whole point of this discussion is that laser detection should not be your primary concern. That being said, there's pros and cons to both ways...and I posted a link with good information regarding placing your detector for optimal laser detection. In a nutshell it says that the higher up you place the detector, it will more easily pick up reflected beams/scatter. If it's placed lower, it will provide better detection when it's on "you"...but does that matter at that point?

When it comes down to it, I'd rather have a nice stealth installation that provides optimal radar detection than have an extra second to react to a laser detection...I don't think even the stock Brembos can slow me down that much that fast, and if it did the guy behind me is going to hit me. Where I live and in my experience throughout Chicagoland, 99% of the time cops are using radar.

Just my $.02

Old 05-25-2009, 06:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Texasscout
I find that very interesting. Since almost all of the tests I have seen in the past have put the V-1 and the 8500 within single digit percentage points apart. Sumpin ain't right there.
thats just one test..they do many more some of which are closer....these guys are legit...whats not right is listening to a radar detector retailer simply listing whats good and whats not..

and also i wouldnt even waste a keystroke on debating which is the best way to mount a radar detector for laser detection...its radar-common-sense that you will fail epically if you think your radar detector will save you from laser guns.....ONLY if you have a laser jammer..otherwise...f-it

Last edited by Greeknasty; 05-25-2009 at 07:09 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have both, the STi and V1. They both have their good points and bad points.
With the V1 I receive a lot of laser false alerts, not just from tail lights but from sun light and head lights. I passed 1 NJ Trooper who was running laser, I could tell because I passed real close to him, and I didn't receive an alert. The V1's arrows and display is a little overwhelming at first but I got used to it real quick. I really like the threat counter and arrows.

With the STi the only laser alert I received were true alerts. I like the voice announcements of the threat band. Other users complained about the signal strength "ramp up" of the indicator in the earlier models but if you buy new you should have no problems. The STi is smaller. The STi is supposed to be almost undetectable. This is important if you plan to drive through areas where RDs are illegal, DC and VA. I drove through VA last year with it and passed several VA troopers with out a second look fro them.

As far as I can see, in "real world" use, the alert for various police radars is about the same. In NJ where I live, we have Ka, K and X band radars. I have seen alerts for all these bands at the same time. The nice thing about the V1 it lets you see what bands are being received at the time even in multiple alerts. The STi can do the same but you have to be in the "Tech" operating mode.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:02 PM
Lord! I thought MY tower was crowded!!

I have an A4S, a Tram 1481, a home brew 13 el 2M beam, a Ladder line fed 80M doublet, a TV antenna, a 160M 1/8 wave sloper, and a 40 and 80M Bazookas!

73 dude!

AD5TD

PS: I run an FT-1000MP w/AL-811 and Dentron MT-3000A, and FT-8800. Also have a Kenwood TW-805 for GMRS/FRS, and TW-981 for 900Mhz.

Last edited by Texasscout; 05-26-2009 at 07:09 PM.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:34 PM
Premier Member

Received 418 Likes on 336 Posts
I've been wish-washing back and forth which one I should get for like 2 months now... still looking :/

Old 05-28-2009, 09:26 PM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
Get the V1 and be cool. I was at this nice restaurant the other night with maseratis, 100k benzs, etc etc in front and a good chunk of 'em had V1s hardwired.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:36 PM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
YOu need a jammer

Old 05-29-2009, 06:07 PM
v1 FTW

Old 05-29-2009, 07:07 PM
Hold The Line

Received 622 Likes on 406 Posts
STI FTWx2