Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to compress/convert multiple movies on one DVD RW?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 11:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to compress/convert multiple movies on one DVD RW?

I noticed HUs can play diff formats and was wondering what to use to compress music videos on one DVD? I'd like to be able to play the music in my ride while having the vids as well but want to compress them to be able to have hours worth on one DVD Rw disc.

How can I make that possible?

Old 05-22-2009, 08:42 AM
why not get an ipod or equivalent with a video out built in, and hook that up to aux

Old 05-22-2009, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by Bucszilla
I noticed HUs can play diff formats and was wondering what to use to compress music videos on one DVD? I'd like to be able to play the music in my ride while having the vids as well but want to compress them to be able to have hours worth on one DVD Rw disc.

I use Xilisoft Video Converter. Awesome program and very user friendly.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First and foremost you need to find out what formats, if any, are supported by your HU. You didn't mention anything about your HU. If it supports DivX, then you can compress movies and throw a bunch of AVIs on a DVD. If not, I think you're out of luck...you'll just be forced to use regular DVDs (gasp!) :P Or as the last guy posted, get an iPod that supports video.

That being said, I use a freeware tool called "AutoGK" to compress my movies. Search on Yahoo and you'll find plenty of info on it.

Old 05-22-2009, 04:56 PM
The HU I am looking at supports DVD, DVD-R/RW, DIVX, CD, CD-R, CD-RW, MP3, AAC, and WMA...

The reason I do not want to put the vids on my Ipod is because it is only a 16 gig touch. That is roughly 5k+ songs that it will hold. In other words, I do not want to sacrifice much space to movies/vids on the Ipod.

That's why I was wondering how & what you use to compress video and in what format? How much can you compress and fit onto one disc??

Old 05-22-2009, 05:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The HU I am looking at supports DVD, DVD-R/RW, DIVX, CD, CD-R, CD-RW, MP3, AAC, and WMA...

The reason I do not want to put the vids on my Ipod is because it is only a 16 gig touch. That is roughly 5k+ songs that it will hold. In other words, I do not want to sacrifice much space to movies/vids on the Ipod.

That's why I was wondering how & what you use to compress video and in what format? How much can you compress and fit onto one disc??
That all depends on how much you compress it. That's like asking how many MP3s can you fit on your iPod...you can fit a hell of a lot more MP3s encoded at 128 kb/s versus 320 kb/s. On the plus side, if you're planning on compressing video strictly for watching on your HU, you don't need to be too concerned about quality since you're watching it on such a small screen (compared to a TV). So you can compress things down pretty far. The only videos I've ever compressed to watch in my car are skateboarding videos which are usually 30-60 minutes in length. I compressed a bunch and fit about 7 onto a DVD-R. For some reason my DNX8120 doesn't let you play DivX files off a dual layer disc, so I was forced to use a 4.7 GB DVD. You'll have to check your manual for compatibility.