Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pioneer Avic-Z110bt in stock face

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 01:14 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The woodgrain is a very nice touch!

Old 04-22-2015, 02:22 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Originally Posted by StuttersC
I have the wood trim, and have been going back and forth about wrapping the dash pieces with the carbon fiber look vinyl to keep the consistent look between the JDM piece and the wood, or cutting the stock dash to fit the new stereo.

Which way is better? Any recommendations to making the cutting option easier?
You can take it to most places that do laser engraving and cutting and have them cut it out for you. I've had a local place cut some thick ABS plastic trim for mounting a phone in the stock navigation screen location about a year ago, and it was, well, laser-perfect.

It's on my to-do list to create the vector drawings so you can just drop the file on a thumbdrive and have them cut it out for you, but I've been taking on a few other projects that have interfered with it, and it's a very infrequently request job, so it's been a low priority.

If you're handy with some vector drawing programs and want to whip something up for everyone else, the effort is always appreciated.

The following users liked this post:
Urbanengineer (04-22-2015)
Old 04-22-2015, 05:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
You can take it to most places that do laser engraving and cutting and have them cut it out for you. I've had a local place cut some thick ABS plastic trim for mounting a phone in the stock navigation screen location about a year ago, and it was, well, laser-perfect.

It's on my to-do list to create the vector drawings so you can just drop the file on a thumbdrive and have them cut it out for you, but I've been taking on a few other projects that have interfered with it, and it's a very infrequently request job, so it's been a low priority.

If you're handy with some vector drawing programs and want to whip something up for everyone else, the effort is always appreciated.
Thanks for the idea! I'll have to see what is local and go from there.

Unfortunately I am not handy with vector drawing programs, so I'm useless there.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:10 PM
Does anyone happen to know if the "wood" trim contains hydrogen chloride or vinyl chloride? Since it was suggested to try the laser cutting route, I would assume not.

But, it is worth asking, since the laser cutter people are concerned.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:48 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Does anyone happen to know if the "wood" trim contains hydrogen chloride or vinyl chloride? Since it was suggested to try the laser cutting route, I would assume not.

But, it is worth asking, since the laser cutter people are concerned.
I only have the aluminum trim to check - on the side, it's marked as PA6 GF30:
Nylon 6, 30% Glass-Filled (PA6 GF30) - Akulon GF®

Polyamide 6 reinforced with the addition of 30% glass fibre and graphite. The glass charge makes the material highly resistant to abrasion, compression and flexing. Akulon GF is particularly suitable for gears and mechanical parts where excellent wear resistance is required.

Old 04-24-2015, 10:24 PM
I'm sure that it is the same stuff. Infiniti apparently doesn't know, based on their response to my e-mail.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:12 PM
Laser cutter is not a good option.

Old 05-01-2015, 05:44 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Laser cutter is not a good option.
Care to elaborate?

Old 05-01-2015, 05:51 PM
Care to elaborate?

I'm not sure if it is too much concern from various vendors; however the shape of the dash not producing straight cuts, the material and the potential for melting, if it'll even cut it, and the lack of extra pieces to test all give rise for concern.

Melting and the potential off gassing of harmful toxins seems to be the biggest concern.

Has it been successfully done by anyone? It would be a different discussion with the local vendors if that were the case.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:10 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

I'm not sure if it is too much concern from various vendors; however the shape of the dash not producing straight cuts, the material and the potential for melting, if it'll even cut it, and the lack of extra pieces to test all give rise for concern.

Melting and the potential off gassing of harmful toxins seems to be the biggest concern.

Has it been successfully done by anyone? It would be a different discussion with the local vendors if that were the case.
I haven't heard of anyone doing the laser for our cars before, but a little research finds that laser cutting of PA6 is common -
http://www.laser-community.com/appli...plastics_4244/
http://www.ilt.fraunhofer.de/content...2/JB12_S67.pdf

The shape can be accounted for, just use some mounting putty to stick it to something flat and account for that in your cutting program.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:36 PM
I haven't heard of anyone doing the laser for our cars before, but a little research finds that laser cutting of PA6 is common -
www.laser-community.com/application/the-laser-meets-plastics_4244/
http://www.ilt.fraunhofer.de/content...2/JB12_S67.pdf

The shape can be accounted for, just use some mounting putty to stick it to something flat and account for that in your cutting program.
Okay....I'm not going to push the issue with the local vendor. If they don't want to do it, then they won't. I'll just get a dremel and go easy on it.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:00 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Okay....I'm not going to push the issue with the local vendor. If they don't want to do it, then they won't. I'll just get a dremel and go easy on it.
If they won't do it, there's got to be somebody with a machine shop with a milling machine (CNC not really required, it's straight cuts) that will. Cutting straight with a dremel is a fantastic feat.

Old 06-07-2015, 02:48 PM
Sometimes I wonder how businesses stay in business these days. It is as if they don't want money. I send e-mails to vendors and I get no answers from most. I guess follow up calls are needed these days. I just don't get it though.

"Hello, I have money and want to give it to you for services," I say.

Their reply, "...."

I'll keep trying. I found one vendor that has both a CNC machine, and a laser. They have the word "Plastics" in their name. But they can't seem to read e-mail I guess.

Old 06-24-2015, 04:09 AM
info

I hate you bring up a old tread. But, I was wondering if you had any pointers while doing this? Also, how long am I looking at? Have you had any long term problems? Any extra wires I have to buy (besides jdm ac control)? Thank you.

Old 01-16-2016, 02:40 PM
I was interested in doing this to my 05 sedan. It doesnt have a bose system or nav. would i still need to purchase JDM controls? I couldnt just keep the ones that are currently in there after i cut my faceplate?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pioneer Avic-Z110bt in stock face