Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Added a NAV System

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 12:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Added a NAV System

I like many of you bought my G without the Nav. I have since used GPS it in other cars and find it very useful. I decided to buy a Magellan RM and added it to my G.

Pros:
Cheap, cost me about $550 total.
Portable, I can remove it and use in other cars.
Magellan RM is an excellent GPS, works well, easy to use, accurate.
Stores in the original cubby hole.

Cons:
Not as intergrated as factory system.
Screen not as large.

325167-map on.jpg

Old 08-18-2004, 12:58 PM
Re: Added a NAV System

Another Picture.

325169-wide view.jpg

Old 08-18-2004, 12:59 PM

One more.

325170-side view.jpg

Old 08-18-2004, 01:59 PM

Hey this looks great, is it fixed or it just happens to sit in place? did you have to do anything with the car? Ok it would require a power cord, how is that running, did you make it hard wired? from the inside?

Thanks

Old 08-18-2004, 05:56 PM

Yeah it basically just sits there, with a little tension provided by the lid. It is pretty secure. It can be stored in the cubby hole when not in use. I have a 12volt power cord and external antenna going thru the bottom of the cubby hole, coming out under the 12volt power outlet on the driver side. The external antenna is actual sitting on the dash between the vents. It provides a strong signal and I didn't like how it looked when I ran it outside up to the roof. Black antenna on a pearl white car.

Old 08-18-2004, 06:52 PM

I'm doing the same thing...can you provide some additional pictures on how you ran both the power cord and the antenna?

Dave

Old 08-19-2004, 07:56 AM

Nice, the color match well with the interior. The price is very reasonable as well. Maybe I should buy 1 for my Mom's old BMW.

~ GT-R the Ultimate Driving Machine ~
- 2004 G35 Ivory Pearl/Black Leather
- Auto/Nav/Premium/Sports/Aero
- 6 wire grounding kit

Old 08-19-2004, 01:15 PM

I didn't take any pictures when I had the side panel off or of me drilling the hole. But bascially, you need to drill a small hole in the bottom left corner of the cubby hole. Be careful there is some stuff below the cubby hole that you don't want to drill into. You need to remove the lower dash piece (part under the steering wheel, remove one screw and pull off) and the driver side panel that has the 12 volt plug (remove two screws and pull off). I then ran the power and external cables thru the hole and out to where the 12 volt driver side panel is. From there you replace the panels and route your wires (I just plugged in the power into the 12 volt, and ran the antenna cable under the steering wheel up the left side of the dash and I have the GPS puck (antenna) sitting on the middle of the dash, between the vents). When drilling the hole besure to place tape around the edges of the cubby hole so you don't scratch it.

Old 08-26-2004, 10:43 AM

I just picked up the Roadmate 500 and have a question? With the unit in the cubby hole/power on, I'm not getting a signal. Pulling it out, and waiting 4 min it finally gets one, and then I can put it back. Is the added antenna required to purchase to make this work? Any similar issues with basic model, and haven't purchased the added antenna?

Noticed the first pick posted by Shark413, the square "bottom left of screen" is black, which means no signal?

Thanks

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by praztek on 08/26/04 07:48 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 09-01-2004, 04:36 PM

Yeah, with the RM500 in the clubby hole and using the standard antenna you will get a weak signal. I use the optional external antenna (sits on the dash) and I get a great signal. In the one picture it was black because I just turned it on, in the other picture it is green.

Old 02-16-2005, 03:25 PM
Hi,

I have installed an Alpine Monitor, NAV unit, while making the screen retractable. If anyone is interested I can send you pics.

Also, I am selling the entire G35 OEM NAV console; it comes with the retractable screen, BOSE 6 disc CD changer, and DVD NAV unit. I can send pics to anyone that is interested in buying.

Please let me know. My e-mail address is vluong117@yahoo.com

Thanks,
Vince