Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Shout out to Radiomedics (see if you had headunit problem)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 03:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shout out to Radiomedics (see if you had headunit problem)

The headunit on my 2003.5 G35 sedan developed the dreaded CD ERR problem, ate my CDs, and the whole center cluster died, making the HVAC system inoperable.

Many have opted to go aftermarket in order to solve this problem, however, I did not want to change the stock unit. As such, after a lot of research, I removed the factory headunit (uninstalled the NAV) and sent the radio in to Radiomedics. The problem was diagnosed as a faulty power supply and a failed CD changer mechanism.

To make the removal and reinstall worthwhile I also had Radiomedics HARDWIRE an Aux input directly into the radio that is accessed via the FM/AM button. Basically when the the headunit is set to FM/AM and an aux device is plugged into the mini jack, the unit bypasses the FM/AM and allows the Aux device to work. I am using an IPod Nano and the sound quality is absolutely superb. I had previously used an FM modulator as well as cassette adapter and there is simply no comparison. I mounted the mini jack on the center console by the left side heater switch. It is very inconspicous and works beautifully.

I highly recommend radiomedics. Their service and turnaround time is superb. They are in CA. I am in NC. I had my radio back within a week.

No more radio issues and HVAC is working perfectly. The person I dealt with was Fernando and he was a pleasure to work with. They are well aware of the inherent defects with these radios.

Questions, ask away. Sorry if it seems like I'm shamelessly plugging these guys, but my experience was a positive one. The flipside would have been dealing with a dealership and shelling out tons of money. Plus, the Aux input was really worth all the trouble.

Old 12-12-2009, 02:44 PM
Good to hear! I have the same problem with my 03 coupe. I have the bose sounds system and it says CD ERR as well. Do you mind telling me what they charge you?

Old 12-12-2009, 02:58 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Can you put their contact info. in the OP for future readers... Just in case it does happen... Smacking mine fixed it last time but i dont think i can rely on that technique.

Old 12-12-2009, 03:01 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
what did they charge you?

Old 12-15-2009, 04:47 PM
? = 2B || !2B

Received 851 Likes on 639 Posts
Did they fix the CD changer or just disable it and wire in the Aux?

Old 12-15-2009, 04:57 PM
My CD changer died as well a couple of months ago and now I have problems wtih my HVAC system. Several questions:

1. How hard was it to remove the stereo? Was it the only thing you had to send?
2.Was your HVAC out of service while they were working on the radio?
3.How much was the charge to fix the radio?

Thanks.

Old 01-19-2010, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by nghiars
Can you put their contact info. in the OP for future readers... Just in case it does happen... Smacking mine fixed it last time but i dont think i can rely on that technique.
Sorry for the delayed response. All their contact info can be found on their website http://www.radiomedics.com

Old 01-19-2010, 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by erklep
what did they charge you?
I don't think its fair to any vendor to openly indicate what they charge a customer....its not good business. That being said, a range is fair game.

My radio needed a new power supply and a repair of the CD changer mechanism. This cost between $250 and $300. The Ipod aux addition was about 35% more, though they gave me a break as I was having it done along with a repair. Total cost with shipping etc was less than $400, which with the ipod connection enhancement was so worth it.

The setup looks very clean as I have a tiny hole drilled next to the left side heater switch for the aux input, where I plug in my ipod.

Old 01-19-2010, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by nfsp1
Did they fix the CD changer or just disable it and wire in the Aux?
Fixed the CD changer mechanism, Power supply and added the Aux input. So, back to factory specs plus the aux.

Old 01-19-2010, 03:39 PM
Originally Posted by aalvilla
My CD changer died as well a couple of months ago and now I have problems wtih my HVAC system. Several questions:

1. How hard was it to remove the stereo? Was it the only thing you had to send?
2.Was your HVAC out of service while they were working on the radio?
3.How much was the charge to fix the radio?

Thanks.
1. It wasn't too bad. There are step by step instructions that can be found, as well as a video online of a double DIN install in a coupe, which was very helpful. I took the radio out, way back in 2003 when my vehicle was not prewired for SAT radio -- the headunit was SAT capable, just didn't have the receiver. I bought the prewire from Grubbs and removed the radio in order to plug in the SAT receiver. I pulled the headunit one more time, not too long ago, while installing a parrot BT handsfee kit. So, I've done it a few times. The key is to take your time and not scratch up the finish.

2. No, the HVAC was not out of service, it continued to do what it does when the power supply from the radio dies -- it freezes at a predetermined temperature and runs in Auto mode with the A/C on. In my case, that temperature was 75F, so it worked out well.

3. See my post above on price range. If you want more specific pricing, call them directly and ask for Robert Cruz. His info is below. He is very aware of the problems with these radios and is very helpful. On the tech side, I dealt with a guy named Fernando, who was also very helpful.

Robert Cruz
RADIOMEDICS
619-632-7454
877-472-3466

One other thing worth pointing out when discussing repair of the changer mechanism -- unfortunately, these radios are not supplied with any locking mechanism for the CD changer during transport. Additionally, the tolerances are really tight. As a result, if the unit is jarred materially during transit, it can knock the changer trays out of alignment and cause the unit to display an error message. This happened to my unit. Given the time and effort to re-install the head unit, compounded by the fact that I had the aux input, I decided to just not use the CD changer until I felt like pulling the whole unit again. Fernando at Radiomedics was really helpful and was open to me resending the unit to them. However, as luck would have it, I hit a pretty hard bump in the road and all of sudden, I find that the changer now works. Has been working flawlessly since then.....go figure!

PS: The 2010 G37s are now equipped with a single CD player. Maybe Infiniti got tired of all the CD changer complaints or maybe its a move driven by the shift to compressible music forms.......you be the judge.

Old 01-19-2010, 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by VernSchillinger
1. It wasn't too bad. There are step by step instructions that can be found, as well as a video online of a double DIN install in a coupe, which was very helpful. I took the radio out, way back in 2003 when my vehicle was not prewired for SAT radio -- the headunit was SAT capable, just didn't have the receiver. I bought the prewire from Grubbs and removed the radio in order to plug in the SAT receiver. I pulled the headunit one more time, not too long ago, while installing a parrot BT handsfee kit. So, I've done it a few times. The key is to take your time and not scratch up the finish.

2. No, the HVAC was not out of service, it continued to do what it does when the power supply from the radio dies -- it freezes at a predetermined temperature and runs in Auto mode with the A/C on. In my case, that temperature was 75F, so it worked out well.

3. See my post above on price range. If you want more specific pricing, call them directly and ask for Robert Cruz. His info is below. He is very aware of the problems with these radios and is very helpful. On the tech side, I dealt with a guy named Fernando, who was also very helpful.

Robert Cruz
RADIOMEDICS
619-632-7454
877-472-3466

One other thing worth pointing out when discussing repair of the changer mechanism -- unfortunately, these radios are not supplied with any locking mechanism for the CD changer during transport. Additionally, the tolerances are really tight. As a result, if the unit is jarred materially during transit, it can knock the changer trays out of alignment and cause the unit to display an error message. This happened to my unit. Given the time and effort to re-install the head unit, compounded by the fact that I had the aux input, I decided to just not use the CD changer until I felt like pulling the whole unit again. Fernando at Radiomedics was really helpful and was open to me resending the unit to them. However, as luck would have it, I hit a pretty hard bump in the road and all of sudden, I find that the changer now works. Has been working flawlessly since then.....go figure!

PS: The 2010 G37s are now equipped with a single CD player. Maybe Infiniti got tired of all the CD changer complaints or maybe its a move driven by the shift to compressible music forms.......you be the judge.
......and Yes, you only have to send in the Radio....no NAV and no front control board. They have a test bench that they hook the radio directly to.