Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

2007 Satellite Radio Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 01:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 Satellite Radio Install

I bought my 2007 G35x in November and now I'm missing my sirius satellite radio. I know there is a direct plug and play tuner but before I buy it I wanted to know where its suppose to be installed. I researched it and saw that it goes in the trunk but most of what I saw was for 2005 or lower models. I checked my trunk and saw a bus connector on the roof of the trunk instead of the floor. I attached a picture of it. Its the white plug with gray tape around it. Is this the right plug and if so, does anyone have any idea how to attach it to the roof of the trunk, ie where to buy brackets for the install?

Thanks all.

Attached Thumbnails 2007 Satellite Radio Install-cimg2509.jpg   2007 Satellite Radio Install-cimg2505.jpg   2007 Satellite Radio Install-cimg2503.jpg  
Old 01-14-2010, 10:39 AM
Anyone? No suggestions?

Old 01-21-2010, 08:07 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's it. As for mounting, I mounted the tuner to the back of the trunk on the passenger side. I used double sided tape to stick it there.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:05 AM
Awesome.. thanks. I was actually thinking about cutomizing some brackets but tape might be a quicker way to go.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:02 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
I just went through this with my Sedan. The mounting location for the satellite radio module is on the passenger side of the trunk. There is actually a blank spot between the bottom of the rear deck and the amplifier (Bose system). I ended up buying a wiring harness extension at my local Nissan dealer to connect the module to the factory harness.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Bumping this because it's one of the threads that pulls up when I did this search. I just added XM to my wife's '07 G35 Sedan w/ Bose, no navigation.

I bought a used tuner off of eBay for $120. No brackets, no antenna. Part number 999U9-AS005

Things were a little different in the trunk than I'd expected from reading various threads. Thought I would post the things I found, for future searchers.

1. There were no blank spots on the top of the trunk between the seat belt reels. On the driver's side is the amp (assumed that what it is with all the cooling fins.) On the passenger side, there's a bracket with a module already mounted. A quick check of the shop manual told me two things:
a. this is the "TEL Adapter Unit" and "TEL Antenna." For the Bluetooth? Dunno, but...
b. the factory satellite tuner goes in this bracket, sitting above the TEL Adapter Unit.
So that's good, I didn't need the brackets that I didn't buy.

2. The XM cable connector wasn't obvious. There was nothing loose on the passenger side. The only thing that looked right was over on the driver's side, near the Bose amp. So I plugged in the XM tuner, and checked to see if the head unit recognized it. Yep, pushing the Radio button now cycled through XM.
But that plug was far from the bracket location. Rather than undo the clips holding it up and cutting some of the loom to free it from the harness, I traced the wires back, and realized that they plugged into an identical connector, right next to the TEL Adapter unit. Hmmmm. Could this just be a short extension cable for some reason?
I disconnected that cable, freeing the male connector on the passenger side. Plugged it in to the XM tuner, and Voila! XM Radio at the head unit!

3. Getting the TEL Adapter bracket down involved getting to the bolts under the package shelf cover inside the cab. Which meant pulling the seatbacks and removing the liner. That's a bit involved, but not too complicated. Once I dropped that bracket down, the new XM tuner fit into it perfectly. Little notches on both ends accept pegs on the brackets. Luckily I was able to scrounge up 4 screws of the pitch and size (after I shortened them). The tuner is in there very securely.

4. I have seen some pictures of the XM tuner's antenna connection, and read about people making some aftermarket antennas fit. I had two antennas on hand: one from my old Delphi MyFi receiver, and one used indoors on the home stereo dock. Their connections are slightly different. The Delphi antenna is the ubiquitous magnetic mount with the small right-angle connector. The home antenna connector appeared to have thinner walls, and a smaller center pin. The Delphi wouldn't go on to the tuner.
The home antenna did slip over the end, but the red/pink connector on the tuner blocked it from sliding all the way home. I got the "Antenna" message on the screen which means a bad connection. Since I don't use the home antenna, I carefully trimmed away some of the plastic around the connector, and that gave it enough clearance to slide far enough in. At that point, I was receiving XM signals.
But the home antenna is not rated for outdoors, so I placed it on the rear package tray in the window for now. It was working fine when my wife left for work this morning. It's not a long-term solution. Don't want that thing baking in the sun.

5. Further research led me to find that this XM tuner uses a Fakra style connector for the antenna. Basically, any of the pink connectors show here should work with this tuner: http://www.thefind.com/cars/info-fakra-connector
Those are much better prices than the $60+ I've seen for the Nissan part number (999U9-VS000) and I haven't even done a thorough web search yet. So I will most likely order one in the next few days and replace the home antenna in the back window with either a magnet or glass mount.

Sorry for the long post. I'm a wordy SOB. Could us a good editor! But if this is of interest to anyone, I can try to grab some pictures when I take it apart again to replace the antenna.

The following 2 users liked this post by tbarney:
G2B35AGN (04-06-2013), Wrathernaut (03-09-2012)