Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Trying to put new head unit in non-nav 08 G35

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 02:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trying to put new head unit in non-nav 08 G35

I would like to put a new head unit into my 08 G35 Sedan. Essentially, I want the navigation/bluetooth/dvd/iPhone option I passed on, not realizing that finding a faceplate or DDin that fits the vehicle is impossible. I've been to several audio shops and they all come up empty. So I decided to turn to the experts. I've tried searching the extensive knowledge on this forum but I'm not really finding exactly the answer I'm looking for.

I'm sure it wont come as a surprise that I'm not very "DIY" savvy...actually, not at all. Basically, I have a few questions.

1) Is there anyway to have those options without removing the OEM head-unit (Having the navigation and DVD(Aux), iPod Integration...display on it).
2) If not, is there a faceplate or trim? I think its called for the car that will allow me to install a pioneer or alpine head-unit?
3) Is there any advice anyone can give me who has done similar A/V Modifications to the 08, I'd really appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks for the time and thank you in advance for your assistance.

Old 02-02-2010, 03:07 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,038 Likes on 611 Posts
There are many headunits - Pioneer AVIC-F90BT comes to mind - which output identical display to their video out. If you bypass the video lock on the factory screen, you can mount the head unit in the center armrest, glovebox, or wherever else you can fit it, and display the aftermarket HU's screen on the factory screen.

With a steering wheel controls adapter (if one exists for the 08+'s) you could control about every function you could reasonably want as a driver through the steering wheel. The passenger or yourself at a stop can take care of configuration, selecting playlists or whatever you need access to the headunit to do.