Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Bose amp

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 05:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bose amp

So i went ahead and followed the DIY on removing the stock radio, pretty east i must say. Now what would cause a stop radio to play absolutely no sound? i removed the radio so I知 familiar with the process. I have a pioneer DD HU in transit, I知 just hoping i wont have to replace my amp. Again, when i turn the volume all the way up i hear nothing. P.S. iv(e gotten the f0 error as well as HVAC issues for the past year)

Old 04-01-2010, 05:17 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Could be the Bose amp gone.

Old 04-01-2010, 05:23 PM
damnit so would a dd hu solve this issue if in fact the amp is gone? Where is the bose amp located?

Old 04-02-2010, 01:46 AM
Bose amp in my 07 coupe is in the trunk under the plastic on the drivers side. Next to the spare tire.

Old 04-02-2010, 03:47 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

You can bypass the amp, to use the internal one in your new headunit. Just connect the inputs to the outputs at the bose amp under the rear trunk.

You'll only get 4 channels out of it, but that'll hold you over until you get an aftermarket amp installed.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:57 PM
are there any DIY wit instructions on how to find and remove the bose amp? i find it weird that my nav voice still play (its very distorted though) But my radio has absolutely no sound

Old 04-03-2010, 03:12 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

It's in the trunk, under the rear deck.

Removing it is pulling plugs and removing screws.

Replacing it... if you need help beyond a wiring diagram (stickied in this forum) that's something if you need help with, you probably should be having the pros do.

Old 04-04-2010, 12:19 AM
The Bose amp is junk. Even a cheap after market amp is better. Since you have already changed out the HU, you are in business. Mind you, you will have to run RCA's to the new amp from the HU, and of course power from the battery, and find a ground near the new amp. But the sound quality is amazingly better. Well worth it.

Old 04-04-2010, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by sticktodascript
are there any DIY wit instructions on how to find and remove the bose amp? i find it weird that my nav voice still play (its very distorted though) But my radio has absolutely no sound
What's your DMM measuring @ deck's power outputs? @ Nav system's output? Bose decks (and here, your Nav system too) traditionally operate at < 4 ohm loads. Your aftermarket deck puts out a 4 ohm signal, something your (2 ohm?) Bose speakers are not compatible with - don't run an aftermarket deck in bridged mode (i.e. 2 ohm), you'd be asking for trouble.

No highs, no lows. Must be Bose.

Old 04-04-2010, 05:43 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Oh, what ease this forum would be if everyone knew how to use a DMM

Old 04-04-2010, 05:51 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

drozzy, you seem to be pretty electrically inclined - have you looked at the wiring diagram for the nav + audio?

This isn't the first time somebody's posted with no audio from the radio, but audio from the navigation.

My best assessment here is that the power supply for the radio itself is dead/dying, but the Bose amplifier's OK, the +12v switch signal from the navigation unit is able to activate the relay in the headunit to switch the signal so that the nav voice passes through the unpowered radio (getting rather distorted along the way) and on to the amplifier, where the signal is amplified and played through the speakers.

Old 04-04-2010, 06:16 PM
Obviously the 1st time I look at this sticky, it's a really nice find...

https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...rams-pics.html

...but where is the Nav?

I know a bit about the internal operation of an aftermarket Nav HU provided it's got an internal amp, but here the Bose deck does not. I would have thought Bose deck & Nav unit sent their signal to the amp through separate wiring, but you're saying 'the nav voice could pass through the unpowered radio'... this means the radio would act as some kind of extra resistor if the power supply is indeed dead - but if the power supply is dead, wouldn't the OP see absolutely nothing on the deck's display?

Old 04-04-2010, 06:20 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Here's the full electro-geekery you'll need:
http://www.psedog.com/cars/fsm/g35/sedan/2005/av.pdf

Page 51 is where nav wiring diagrams begin.

And you'd think the OP would mention no visual on the headunit, but stranger things have gone unmentioned.

Old 04-04-2010, 06:56 PM
Geez. Page 52 actually indicates the Nav voice being relayed by the Bose deck, amazing.

Can't be a bad ground, he wouldn't hear squat from the nav system... hey, is the OP hearing the voice from all 4 speakers or just the two up front??

So for one, we need to know whether or not he has a visual on the deck. Also need to confirm that BOTH the AM/FM radio & CD player signals behave the same way, i.e. no sound whatsoever.

Too early in the troubleshooting process to tell what piece went to ****... any link to similar threads (same issue)?

Old 04-05-2010, 04:42 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

I can't find the older post either. I'll keep my eyes open though.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bose amp