Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quality of Bose Audio System

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 09:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Quality of Bose Audio System

Hey guys, I'm just wondering what you all think about the stock Bose Audio System. If I remember correctly, it is a 220 watt-8 speaker system

Have you been satisfied with its sound quality? Does it play cd-r's (burned cds) perfectly?

Legend in Time

Old 09-29-2004, 09:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Quality of Bose Audio System

Sounds like an average car audio system. Not worth the extra money. Mine has been replaced.

Old 09-29-2004, 09:53 PM

I really don't have any complaints for a stock stereo I think it is pretty good. However the sound while listening to the radio is terrible.

04 Coupe 6MT Laser/Graphite Premium No Aero

Old 09-29-2004, 10:07 PM

i regret getting the upgrade. yes its pretty clear with CD's but its not loud enough. also the radio signal is horrible. the sound from the radio is extremely distorted, it could be becasue of my tinted windows but it just isnt all that great.

Old 09-29-2004, 10:42 PM

I am satisfied w/ the BOSE audio =)

I'm no audiophile though so I can be way off

Old 09-29-2004, 11:26 PM
Widdle ya into kindling

Can't stand Bose, but this is the best I've heard in a stock car. But I still hate Bose. I am replacing the front with components and adding a sub. Thank goodness no more BLOSE.

Old 09-30-2004, 12:15 AM
G SQUAD

The stock system in the IS300 is definitely a lot better than the stock system in the G. I didn't have to touch the stereo in that baby. I will be upgrading my components and adding a sub sometime in the near future...

John

Picked up: 08/14/04
'04.5 DG Coupe 6mt (Premium Pkg. / Navi)
Front license plate adapter
Huper Optik (Ceramic 40) / Clearbra / Hardwired V1 / Phatbox / UT Roof Spoiler

Trending Topics

Old 09-30-2004, 05:19 AM

The stock radio is the same, with or without Bose, with the minor exception that RDS (radio text service) enabled, and the Bose logo on the casette door. My Bose-capable radio plays CD-Rs perfectly, but since these are the same radios, so should a non-Bose radio.

I wanted stock Navi, so getting Bose was not an option, it was a requirement. Even still, the Premium package which includes the Bose setup also includes some other stuff like the moonroof and the HomeLink system, and automatic headlights. In addition it makes upgrading with an aftermarket amp an easier job because the presence of the Bose amp puts all the wires in one central location - in the trunk, where you want it. So the Premium package can be worth-while even if you don't care for it..

OK, moving on to your question about the quality. The Bose system basically adds bass ("subwoofers") to the stock system. Without the Bose add-on, the bass response from the 6 factory speakers is pretty weak. Even my mother found the sound of the stock radio totally unsatisfactory without Bose.

The Bose system does add a pretty strong low end to the factory radio, as far as factory radios go. It can vibrate the mirrors a little and the sound is pretty full. We're not talking audiophile quality - but certainly an improvement over most run-of-the-mill factory systems. What I couldn't get past was the poor high-end (treble) response in the system. It was frustrating to have "dedicated" factory tweeters that simply did not seem to be able to reproduce the highest end of the musical spectrum. The "treble" control on the radio is no help, either.

I replaced the factory Bose amp with an EQ and aftermarket amplifiers and component speakers and subs, and the result is amazing. The factory radio itself has a ton of potential that those poor front component speakers hide from you. You may be able to get away with just replacing the tweeters, although I haven't read too many people that were happy by just replacing those, for whatever reason.

Old 09-30-2004, 11:33 AM

Good info dj. I got the bose because grubbs was having their vpp deal and the only 6mt in black available had the premium package. The best stock stereos are the ones in lexus vehicles. I'm not even talking about the mark levinson either. My rx330 doesn't have the ML but it is sharp and crystal clear. The only thing I would add is a small sub to it.

For a factory stereo, the bose have above average bass performance. However, the system handicaps itself with the 'components' up front. The tweeter is regulated (has a passive in-line crossover so it only gets the tweeter frequencies) but the 6.5" mids are not regulated. That might be acceptable in a base model but Bose should be ashamed of themselves for not putting in a .25 cent passive crossover to filter out the tweeter frequencies from the 6.5" speakers.

As a result, I noticed some resonance as the 6.5" speakers tried to reproduce everything from sub frequencies (below 200 hz) and the ultra high tweeter frequencies (~5 to 32khz). Asking a top quality speaker to handle this is asking too much let alone a $5 paper speaker.

By adding an amp, a sub, and a good set of components (properly regulated, of course) it made a world of difference. I think the stock head unit is more than adequate though so I didn't feel the need to change that out. It would be nice to have the ability to tailor the music but I didn't want to lose the steering wheel controls nor the SCV.

Old 09-30-2004, 06:30 PM

The Bose system speakers are pretty crappy. You can make a world of difference by upgrading just the speakers and leaving the Bose amp. Another big leap can be made by replacing the amp, most likely with two, (one for the components, another for a sub.). A better quality sub in a properly designed box is also an important addition. This is where I stopped, as the car now sounds so fantastic...but others have made the full commitment and added a double din conversion and aftermarket deck.

And yes, the stock head unit will play homemade CD's, but not with MP3 files.

04 G35s 6MT BS Aero Kit/Nav/Prem
Warning: Objects in Mirror Are Losing!

Old 10-01-2004, 11:15 PM

I like the Bose system but also agree that it does not get nearly loud enough. I am thinking of adding a 10" sub and maybe upgrading the components.

Anyone have an opinion on what kind of speakers should replace the stock ones? I have no desire to change the head unit - I like the stock look.

As for Lexus audio - I had an IS300 with an Infiniti Basslink and everyone thought it was a completely custom system. I still thought it was not loud enough. That being said, I agree that the Lexus stock system is impressive but like most stock setups lacked bass.

afsarzad
'03 G35 Coupe Caribbean Blue/Blk
Sport / Areo / Nav etc...
Z Tube / K&N Filter / Pedals / Momo Shift ****
Chrome GF-1 20s / 35% Tint / Clear Corners

Old 10-02-2004, 04:03 PM

the bose that we got in our G's is not up to par with the other bose car audio. my mom has a 2003 Gmc Envoy with the upgraded bose and damn that stereo is loud. its much louder than the coupe and its so much clearer. and it even has good stock bass

Old 10-03-2004, 12:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"No highs, no lows, must be a Bose"

Probably heard that b4 but I simply had to change it out. Even my wife, who absolutely HATES me modding my car and gives me $hit every time I spend money on it said "honey, you HAVE TO get rid of that crappy stereo". Well, she didn't have to tell me twice. Permission to mod....woohoo!!!

My 350GT