Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Radio display and AC lights dead

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 11:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radio display and AC lights dead

I checked all the fuses and all the fuses are fine. Before reseating the fuses the radio did not work. After reseating them all, the radio is working, but there is no display. The lights for the AC button and dual control are dead. My auto AC turns on automatically and there is no way to control the AC. Any ideas?

Old 07-17-2010, 02:21 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Search would have gotten you the answer hours ago.

Your circuit board is dead.
Options:
Up to $600 for dealer to fix it.
$300 for radiomedics to fix it.
$250 for a new single-din headunit + metra conversion to fix it.
From $400 to $1500 for a new double din, depending on how fancy you want to go.
$Marketplace for a used one to fix it.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:13 AM
Your circuit board could very well be dead. However, I had the same problem and resolved it by securing the thin cables that connect the circuit board to the radio itself with electric tape. They are located on the bottom right hand side of the radio (if you are facing it from the front) and there was no need to take out the entire radio to resolve the problem. I removed the ashtray and looked underneath the right hand side of the radio and they are right there. This is the same area other members stated that if you punch it real hard it will work temporarily.

My set of cables looked like they were kept in place by a thick padded electric tape installed by the factory. The tape had lost its adhesion so the cables were hanging so to speak. I removed the tape and held it in position with my hand and all of a sudden everything started working, display, controls on the AC and the CDs that could not be read previously started to work.

I then grabbed my roll of electric tape and taped it in place and it has been good to go ever since. No need to bang, smack, or punch the right hand side of the radio anymore.

I hope this helps.

I stole the picture below from BRADAKREZ's IPOD installation walk through to show you were to look for the cables. In the picture they are on the bottom right hand side almost exactly where he has the arrow pointing to. You almost have to lay your head where the ashtray would be and look up.

Last edited by gabriello; 07-19-2010 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-28-2010, 01:31 PM
Yeah this didnt work. ive been banging smashing punching the right side of my radio for the past month for temporary fix and it works, but when i took it apart to look at the wire u said that "is hanging so to speak".... every wire is still attached even after removing the electrical tape there still is a black rubber "so to speak" cover that is around the wire. and now hitting punching and smacking the radio doesnt fix the problem any more... if anyone has more knowledge on why this is happening, because my circuit board is NOT fried...

Old 08-28-2010, 01:43 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Was the ribbon cable connecting the board to the body of the headunit secure?

That's about your last option, short of replacement.

Old 08-29-2010, 04:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Its a known issue with this car. Circuit board went bad on mine 2 weeks after I owned it. Dealership repair was $1600. Glad I had extended warrenty.

As stated before, your short of replacing it with an aftermarket or replacing with another OEM unit.