Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Replacing Bose with DD, speakers all around - Advice on components, wiring needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 10:44 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Focals are known to take alot more than rated power

Always good to have it on hand too.

Old 09-24-2010, 11:52 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Originally Posted by jmink78
It looks like you replaced the whole backside with a piece of carpeted MDF. Are those holes threaded? I really need to take my trunk apart and get a look up close.
No, it's two pieces of MDF underneath the carpeting/trim. The holes are not threaded. I ran long bolts through those holes specified, and cut off the excess with (what else) bolt cutters. I used some rubber washers under flat metal washers and lock washers to ensure that they didn't rattle or loosen from vibration. I wish I had taken more pictures of the install, but the mosquitoes were out in force!

How do you measure out the template to cut the MDF? Should I use some cardboard and attempt to fit it back there to create a template? Hmmm...another search on the interwebs. I really wonder how people did projects like this by themselves without the internet 15 years ago.
Yes, I just used cardboard as a template.

Next item - subwoofer issue resolved. A buddy of mine called me tonight and we were talking stereos, and he said he was about to sell his sub since he is having a baby in the next few weeks, and his passat is essentially the baby mobile. 12" xtant x124 with a Rockford Fosgate 500 watt amp, custom sealed enclosure, and a 5 farad cap to boot. $100. Not going to beat that anywhere, and gives me a sub which sounds pretty good in his car right now.
"Custom" is way too vague. It's anywhere from a square box that meets the requirements of the spec sheet, or it's a fiberglass ported box made to fit in a specific vehicle. But $100 ain't bad, you can probably sell it for that much when you want to upgrade.

Also - do I need a plastic panel tool? I have never used one of these before, relying on screwdrivers and hand strength. I am not even sure how a plastic panel tool works.
Plastic panel tool is well worth not scratching things, but before I got mine, I used a rigid nylon spatula for most of my panel removal

Old 09-24-2010, 12:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, the box he says was built to spec - or pre built to specs. I am picking the stuff up Saturday so I will know more then.

Old 09-27-2010, 04:22 PM
Update on sub/amp -

It's an xtant 124.
Amp is an old school Phoenix Gold XS2500.
Box IS ported.

Also, looking at this amp to power the door speakers - http://www.woofersetc.com/p7763/RUB4...-Amplifier.htm

I should get my shopping money tomorrow.

I am going to replace my belts this weekend, and I am going to take a crack at creating the templates for the rear seat MDF, and maybe even cut the MDF.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:11 PM
Good choices

Old 09-28-2010, 03:05 PM
Items purchased -

Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD - $406
JDM Kit - $365
Metra 40-NI10 Nissan Antenna Adapter - $13
Metra 70-7550 - $8
Scosche Ddtrb Double Din Trim Ring - $12
Focal Polyglass 165 VR -$250
Alpine Type-R SPR-17C - $87
Soundstream RUB4.600 - $153
PAC SWI-PS - $41

This puts me at $1335 so far, plus another $100 for the amp and sub. I will be stretching my original $1500 budget a little bit, but within a reasonable limit.

Next up for purchase - CLD tiles, speaker spacers.

When I look at the zenclosures site, the spacers are provided with the following options:

Since different aftermarket speakers require different size mounting holes we have these spacers available with a 5.00", 5.25", 5.50", and 5.75" center mounting holes to accomodate most aftermarket 6.5" speaker.

How do I determine what size I should use?

Old 09-28-2010, 03:58 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Check the specs for the Focals for their "cutout diameter", that'll determine the size of the center mounting holes.

Old 09-28-2010, 06:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I got a brand new pair with the 5.00" cutout for sale in the marketplace if you're interested and it's the right size for your components, can do $20 shipped

https://g35driver.com/forums/marketp...r-spacers.html

Old 09-28-2010, 07:08 PM
Well, it looks like the Focals have a cutout diameter of 5.55 inches, and the alpines have a diameter of 5.31 inches. Looks like I am going through the zenclosures site. Thanks for the offer fais.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:38 PM
Well, it looks like the Focals have a cutout diameter of 5.55 inches, and the alpines have a diameter of 5.31 inches. Looks like I am going through the zenclosures site. Thanks for the offer fais.
Good info..

I also jumped on the Focal 165 VR on amazon.. I am very interested on how your system will turn out..I hope you will post a lot of pics

I am in the process of putting together some components for my G35 coupe.
I might just end up imitating your whole system.

I already started with my HU (Pioneer AVH P4200DVD) and now the Focals.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:05 AM
Ok -time for some wiring confirmation, if you don't mind.

I took a few minutes to sketch out what I think the wiring needs are for this two amp setup.

I am looking for confirmation on a few things -

1 - Am I missing any wires here?

2 - Will the two 8 gauge grounds suffice, or do I need a 4 gauge ground? Most of the wiring kits seem to have an 8 gauge ground for the amp-ground connection.

3 - I only see 3 ring terminals that I need. Everything else will be a soldered connection, or will have a terminal built in to an amp.

4 - is daisy chaining the remote wire preferable over tapping in a separate wire upstream and running it to each amp?

5 - for the ground connection in the lower backrest, can I use self tapping screws? Whats the best method of attaching the grounds to the chassis here?

Replacing Bose with DD, speakers all around - Advice on components, wiring needed-htss6.png

Old 09-29-2010, 09:52 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

1) Looks good to me.
2,3) If you get a multi-amp kit, it should have all the terminals you need, and wire gauges should be fine so long as the kit is rated for the RMS you're pushing.
4) Daisy chain's fine, it's only a signal wire measured for voltage, not used to power anything.
5) Use ring terminals big enough to use the huge bolts holding the seat backs or seat belt anchor bolts as your grounding points, as it's never good to just poke holes in your car.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:43 AM
Don't use 8 gauge

4 is always the minimum imo.

Use the 4 gauge you have laying around and use that for power/ground

Pick up some 0 gauge to use from batt to distro.

You never know what you're gonna want in the future and it would suck having to rewire everything for a bigger setup.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:24 PM
I am pretty confident that this is the one and only audio install for me in this car. I have 120k on it, and I am putting on an additional 20k a year. I figure I will have the car for another 2, maybe 3 years max.

Old 09-29-2010, 05:02 PM
go with all 4 then

i really wouldn't trust 8

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Replacing Bose with DD, speakers all around - Advice on components, wiring needed