Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

How to operate Ipod interface

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 09:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to operate Ipod interface

I just purchased a 06 G35 Coupe with Bose and it came with an Ipod cable. The dealer has no idea how the Ipod works.

Do I turn the radio to operate as CD?

Also there is a red toggle switch on the driver's footwell wall. On the hard plastic just above the carpet. I was told that this may be part of the Ipod add on. Does it need to flip up or down for the IPOD to work?

I'd hate to open the console to see what is there.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:19 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Open the console to see what is there. Getting the shifter boot trim off is easy (see my sticky'd DDin shopping/install resources post for instructions) and the device may be there under the radio.

Alternatively, it may be installed in the trunk, attached to the SAT harness.

Is it just a 3.5mm jack? You could be dealing with a wired FM modulator. If it's the 3.5mm jack, and flipping that switch causes the FM reception to suck really bad, this is likely the case. If it's an actual 30pin connector, it's unlikely to be an FM modulator.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:40 AM
It's a 30 pin.

Old 09-28-2010, 12:48 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Neither the modified factory iPod integration kit from g35parts.com, nor the PAC AAI-NIS2 (and it's sister, the PAC AAI-INF2) have a toggle switch that should be exposed, so it's possible it's neither of these.

Both of these, however, work as the "SAT" mode, and should work something like this (from the PAC instructions):

If you *DON'T* have the factory satellite radio module:
Operation: Radios that have SAT or RADIO button.
1. Turn the factory radio on. Press the SAT or RADIO button to select the Aux inputs. SR1 [Aux 1] or SR2 [Aux 2] will show on the
display. The Aux1 remote wire will turn on only if you are in SR1.
2. Pressing the Mode button on the steering wheel will scroll through CD, Tape AM, FM1, FM2, SR1 and SR2.
3. Pressing CD, Tape, FM/AM or Radio will exit out of Aux mode, turning off the remote wire.

If you *DO* have the factory satellite radio module:
Operation: G35 with SAT button.
1. Turn the factory radio on. Press and release the SAT button until SR2 is selected (in some cases, SR1 may have to be
selected). Press Preset 1 to enter [Aux 1] or Preset 2 to select [Aux 2]. Preset 3 to 6 will select normal satellite presets.
2. Pressing the Mode button on the steering wheel will scroll through CD, Tape AM, FM1, FM2, SR1 and SR2.
3. Pressing CD, Tape, FM/AM will exit out of Aux mode, turning off the remote wire.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:55 PM
Thanks very much for your help.

I opened the console enough to get the shifter part off but could not see enough w/o getting into more than I cared for.

Here is what I determined the 30 pin is for Ipod to play thru FM at station 89.? and the red toggle switch turned it on and off.

No Ipod controls or artist titles were available on Bose display.

I played some MP3s on CD disk in the Bose and the quality is good. I'll stick with MP3s.

Old 09-29-2010, 05:22 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Okay, so it's a wired FM modulator then.

Nothing special, and that's the limits of its functions. Power switch turns on the modulator and swaps the antenna source from antenna to modulator.