Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

03 Coupe Bose Upgrade Debate

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 11:27 AM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Its not unrealistic. You have to realize some guys on here scoff at those without money to buy everything brand new. They would yell at you for spending 1500 on rims instead of 3000. Dont mind them man.

If you can get all those parts for around that price then go for it. The pioneer will require a steering wheel module. You can still use the radio as is though fine. Hope it works out for you and your daughter.

Old 12-03-2010, 01:33 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Stereo is one of the most expensive parts on my car, I would rate mine only as decent and I have over $2,000 into it already, and I am far from rich.

My advice is never buy a used sub. Being that your daughter is 17 and will probably strain the sub, if it blows then you're screwed. If you buy from a authorized vendor, it'll be under warranty.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:03 PM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by JVSavarese
I'm kind of miffed how some people don't get that others have to find a way to be budget minded whether it be a wedding, dinner, tires or, well a stereo system. If I had a wad of money to spend on my system, I'd drop our G off somewhere and sign a check.

Tem, I found a 4200 new for 329.00. I want to buy the kit and Pioneer, then add a sub and amp the sub. For now. Not to say I won't bump it up later and add Nav, but for now. I am sitting at 500 for the kit and Pioneer. I'll shop for a used sub and amp. I'm not good at this. Will the factory Bose speakers and amp still work as it is now when I replace with the 4200? Then just add on the amp and sub?? And what is the best way to house the sub? Do you have pictures of yours?

I want to thank everyone for contributing. I know it frustrates some when a newbie comes in with unrealistic numbers for systems, but it's either that or do nothing. Thanks again all!
yeah you can reuse the bose speakers with your pioneer deck, just buy a pioneer to infinit harness. I would just read over the audio video section. I'm kinda over my stereo phase now with this car.

Old 12-04-2010, 04:05 AM
Received 135 Likes on 101 Posts
Unfortunately, I cannot contribute to this thread since Audio isn't my strong suit. However, I would like to say we need more noobs like the OP. Well mannered, asks legitimate questions, and takes criticism well! Good luck on the system sir!!

-Sean

Old 12-04-2010, 11:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you!

Okay, as it stands: Bought the Pioneer AVH-4200. Have not ordered DD Kit. The jury is still out on which to get. Budget or best? Still leaning toward budget.

Having to save money, I will stay with my current Bose 03 G35 speakers and factory amp (I understand it has an amp?). Pushing my budget, I am shopping on Craigs List in Houston for sub and amp. I used 100-200 for cost in my search. Wow, so much to choose from and I have no idea what I'm looking at. Considering my string and all I have said, I sure would like some comments on what's available. Go to CL and search "sub and amp" and use 100-200 as the price. I value the board's suggestions and sure do need them looking at these used and new ads.

Thanks!!

Old 12-04-2010, 12:19 PM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
you probably want to look for jl or alphine. Eclipse and rockfords are ok but more in the mid range of the scept trim. I would just stay budget, if your daughters 17. You wouldn't want to spend $1500 and find out later she blew the speakers because she tried to over bump it or she had a friend that wanted over bump it.

Old 12-04-2010, 12:37 PM
Pioneer GM-7100M 800 WATT Mono amp
Alpine SWR-1221D Competition Sub in a Ported Box

Looks brand new in pictures ... states lightly used. 100 bucks. Comments?

Old 12-04-2010, 07:21 PM
Pioneer GM-7100M 800 WATT Mono amp
Alpine SWR-1221D Competition Sub in a Ported Box

Looks brand new in pictures ... states lightly used. 100 bucks. Comments?
Be careful with this stuff used. I wouldn't personally buy that.

When I was younger I bought an entire RF set-up from Best Buy for around $300 brand new. Obviously wasn't top of the line, but it worked great for 5 years.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just be very careful of CL. You never know what the condition is of the equipement unless you can hear it before you buy it.

As far as Pioneer, it is ok. The Alpine sub is a good sub.

But when you 17, you dont care as long as it sounds good to you and your friends.

One question...dont know if you have thought about this either.....

Your daughter is 17 with a G35 that has bump in the trunk...and she will be going everywhere.... Does she park in a garage at night? I only bring this up as I read a thread where a member and his friend put a DD in his G35 and I believe that night it got stolen and he was parked out in front of his house.

Make sure the box will fit in the trunk of her G also.

Old 12-04-2010, 09:00 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
get some components up front, replace the speakers in the back. disconnect the "rear subs" and run a real sub. Get a five channel digital amp n replace the crappy bose amp. get an amp kit and run the wires to the new amp. That should make the stock head sounds half decent. well at least for me it did, and you can achieve the above for about 500 bux. good luck.

Old 12-05-2010, 01:14 AM
Dear Sir,

If I was you I would purchase a 4 channel amp as well as a sub using 2 channels for the front speakers and other two channels for the sub. If you do not want to spend much go to Crutchfield.com as they have very reasonable prices and a large selection. There is even a coupon you can use to give you and me a $20 discount (might as well take advantage) just let me know if interested. My system consists of a Kenwood DNX 7140, original front speakers, Polk 6x9 (front and 6x9 both amplified by Kenwood 280 watt amp), Rockford Fostgate 325.2 (powering tubes), and two 8" Bazooka tubes. The systems sounds great but considering ordering some JL component and replacing current 4 channel amp for new Rockford Fostgate P400-4 I got last week from Crutchfield. You can start slow and eventually replace entire system which is what I am doing. Hope this helps!!

Old 12-16-2010, 10:56 AM
I didn't forget about my thread, I've been trying to get work out of the way so I can enjoy the holidays with my family. I'm getting there!

The only progress I've made with the G is I received my Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD (Amazon for 329). It seems the Bose head unit acted up and the CD quit functioning, so no longer was keeping it a consideration.

I've read all of the posts and am considering all of the great advice. Still not sure what I'm doing, however.

But, I do know I need the dash kit, so that is my next purchase (today). I know the Metra is not considered the best choice, but I am on that budget everyone's heard about, so that is my choice. But I have a problem. My dash looks silver and tan. I found my original sticker and it states "Titanium" as the interior. I contacted a Metra vendor and he asked for a photo. I sent, and he said it looked like silver ... but not sure. The photo was taken at night and with a cell phone, so it's no wonder he isn't sure.

So, will the metra kit match my titanium interior:

Attached Thumbnails 03 Coupe Bose Upgrade Debate-img00006-20101215-2050.jpg  
Old 12-16-2010, 12:46 PM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Just a heads up someone figured out how to fix the stock player last week! Did nnot try it myself yet but it will help recoup some money if you sell it.

Old 12-16-2010, 01:55 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
JVSavarese, you definitely should have taken this to the A/V forum, some of us have sedans and rarely venture into this forum here.

Anyway, you got a solid price on the 4200DVD, but on a budget like yours, I would have recommended the 3200DVD for $260 from sonicelectronix, or $330 3200BT as they would also include the required antenna adapter free. Yes, it's a slightly smaller screeen, but I've got a 6.1" pioneer in my wife's, and a 7" in mine, and the size difference is irrelevant.

You need the silver finish trim to go with your interior.

The Pioneer like 99.9% of headunits outputs an unbalanced signal. The Bose amp requires a balanced signal. You'll have to get the PAC ROEM-NIS2 (~$40) instead of a regular wiring harness to keep using the Bose amp.

After picking up the Metra trim kit ($150), Metra Axxess ASWC to keep steering wheel controls ($40), antenna adapter ($10), and ROEM-NIS2 ($40) you're pretty much at your full $600 budget.

Once you've got a budget for the next round of upgrades, swing by the A/V forum, and you'll get a lot better recommendations. I'm not the only A/V nut who rarely treads in this forum.

I didn't forget about my thread, I've been trying to get work out of the way so I can enjoy the holidays with my family. I'm getting there!

The only progress I've made with the G is I received my Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD (Amazon for 329). It seems the Bose head unit acted up and the CD quit functioning, so no longer was keeping it a consideration.

I've read all of the posts and am considering all of the great advice. Still not sure what I'm doing, however.

But, I do know I need the dash kit, so that is my next purchase (today). I know the Metra is not considered the best choice, but I am on that budget everyone's heard about, so that is my choice. But I have a problem. My dash looks silver and tan. I found my original sticker and it states "Titanium" as the interior. I contacted a Metra vendor and he asked for a photo. I sent, and he said it looked like silver ... but not sure. The photo was taken at night and with a cell phone, so it's no wonder he isn't sure.

So, will the metra kit match my titanium interior:

Old 12-16-2010, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
JVSavarese, you definitely should have taken this to the A/V forum, some of us have sedans and rarely venture into this forum here.

Anyway, you got a solid price on the 4200DVD, but on a budget like yours, I would have recommended the 3200DVD for $260 from sonicelectronix, or $330 3200BT as they would also include the required antenna adapter free. Yes, it's a slightly smaller screeen, but I've got a 6.1" pioneer in my wife's, and a 7" in mine, and the size difference is irrelevant.

You need the silver finish trim to go with your interior.

The Pioneer like 99.9% of headunits outputs an unbalanced signal. The Bose amp requires a balanced signal. You'll have to get the PAC ROEM-NIS2 (~$40) instead of a regular wiring harness to keep using the Bose amp.

After picking up the Metra trim kit ($150), Metra Axxess ASWC to keep steering wheel controls ($40), antenna adapter ($10), and ROEM-NIS2 ($40) you're pretty much at your full $600 budget.

Once you've got a budget for the next round of upgrades, swing by the A/V forum, and you'll get a lot better recommendations. I'm not the only A/V nut who rarely treads in this forum.
Very good advice!

I just ordered the Metra 70-7551, which I thought was for the factory Bose system. Wrong? And the steering contols ... PAC SWI-PS? Also wrong?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 03 Coupe Bose Upgrade Debate