Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Power Drain - Battery / Eletrical issues.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 02:40 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KPierson_
Did you pull all the fuses one by one in the drivers kick panel?
Yep

Old 12-27-2010, 09:47 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If pulling the fuses in the drivers kick didn't resolve your current issue then you'll need to start pulling fuses under the hood to see which fuse ultimately stops the drain. Doing this will be a bit more difficult as the fuses are located behind the battery. You may need to relocate the battery temporary (ie set it on the ground and run jumper cables to OEM wiring careful not to short anything out).

You should be able to isolate the draw to one smaller fuse.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:43 AM
Banned
Behind the battery? Were not talking the main fuse box next to the battery right? I isolated one fuse there that's 50,30,40 amps.

All in one fuse as mentioned earlier.

So I'm looking for yet another fuse box correct? A third one? Not easily reachable?

The one I pulled from is located behind the battery plastics, just infront of the battery when facing the front of vehicle

If pulling the fuses in the drivers kick didn't resolve your current issue then you'll need to start pulling fuses under the hood to see which fuse ultimately stops the drain. Doing this will be a bit more difficult as the fuses are located behind the battery. You may need to relocate the battery temporary (ie set it on the ground and run jumper cables to OEM wiring careful not to short anything out).

You should be able to isolate the draw to one smaller fuse.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:42 AM
Not the main fuses - thats the problem, pulling the main fuses doesn't really tell you much about where the problem is (it just confirms that there is in fact a problem). You need to go downstream from the main fuse and find the circuit that is causing the problem.

There should be another fuse box behind the battery that you need to remove the battery to access. No idea why anyone would put a fuse box there but they did!

Old 12-27-2010, 12:11 PM
Banned
Not the main fuses - thats the problem, pulling the main fuses doesn't really tell you much about where the problem is (it just confirms that there is in fact a problem). You need to go downstream from the main fuse and find the circuit that is causing the problem.

There should be another fuse box behind the battery that you need to remove the battery to access. No idea why anyone would put a fuse box there but they did!
Crap. I'll be under there tonight mr Pierson. Thanks for your advice so far.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:49 AM
Banned
Pulled all fuses and relays on the ipdr fuse box behind the batt. Still amps comin
Out, same
Interval

Old 12-28-2010, 10:52 AM
Banned
anyone...any more fuses boxes I am missing?

Old 12-29-2010, 12:15 AM
OK, those three fuses, F, H, and I wouldn't be that bad to troubleshoot.

I would focus on H and I first. You may have to cut some wires if plugs are not convenient. I would disconnect the wire coming from fuse H and retest. If the draw is the same then remove the wire from Fuse I. Both fuse H and fuse I are shown on page 425 of ec.pdf and go to the radiator fans. Based on what you've said about hearing relays and fans under the hood I would think one of these two are your problem.

If they are not, that leaves fuse F which appears to cover everything at the BCM. If that is the case that's not going to be much fun to try to test each device under that fuse.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:40 AM
Banned
The relay sound is coming from the interior, not under the hood.

I can hear it when I'm near the window or inside the car, meaning the BCM.

I guess I"m taking it to the dealer, thanks.

OK, those three fuses, F, H, and I wouldn't be that bad to troubleshoot.

I would focus on H and I first. You may have to cut some wires if plugs are not convenient. I would disconnect the wire coming from fuse H and retest. If the draw is the same then remove the wire from Fuse I. Both fuse H and fuse I are shown on page 425 of ec.pdf and go to the radiator fans. Based on what you've said about hearing relays and fans under the hood I would think one of these two are your problem.

If they are not, that leaves fuse F which appears to cover everything at the BCM. If that is the case that's not going to be much fun to try to test each device under that fuse.