Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Another audio newb, need some opinions and help!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 02:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Alpine v12; rockford sub::?? advise opinions please::

hey guys, so looking to do a small upgrade on my stock system, i have an 05 coupe with bose options. im not looking to upgrade my HU a this point, just getting some front speaker, heres where the i need your opinions, im on a really tight budget i just droped i nice chunk of$ on my FI exhaust, i currently have an Alpine v12 md500 amp and a 12" rockford fosgate sub from my previous car, the worked just fine and are just sitting there so i figured i might as well see if they can be used. i dont really drive my car all that much and its not a show car, i just want a lil more kick.
after reading a bunch of threads on this topic i see how crazy some of your set ups are so please be gentle, again i just want a minor upgrade.. im not an audio nut just like some good sounds on a nice day ya know..

Last edited by donthaveityet; 03-19-2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:26 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
So you're looking to upgrade the front speakers and drop the sub in the trunk?

Since you have the bose headunit, you've got a differential-balanced signal between the bose headunit and bose amplifier. You'll need an amp that can handle that kind of signal (JL Audio do handle balanced signals, and are easy to get), or you can tap the (unbalanced) speaker-level output after the bose amplifier, which will only require an amplifier with speaker-level inputs, or the use of a LOC with another amp.

Old 03-19-2011, 05:52 PM
thats what im planning on so far, i just need to find a box that wont be too bulky and fits well in the truck or maybe build a box to house the 12 sub that i have..
lol ive read some of your repsonses on previous threads and you definately know your sh*t when it comes to audio and electrical... im such an newb when it comes to this stuff.. i would like to install the front speakers myself..but i think i will take it to an installer for the subwoofer and amp.. do you think the amp and sub that i have already good enough?
this is the amp that i have http://www.crutchfield.com/S-BVJbTud...-MRD-M500.html
i coudlnt find a link for my sub, i do know that its a 400 watt 4 ohm rockford fosgate sub
thanks

Old 03-19-2011, 06:59 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
It doesn't take a lot of sub to fill our cars, so that should be fine, especially if you give up the trunk space to do a ported box. With a sealed enclosure though, you might find it lacking if you're trying for boomy bass for rap or hip-hop. Rock should be OK. Not great, but still good enough if combined with some high-quality components up front.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:32 PM
thats perfect.. i really dont want too much bass i dont normally blast my music anyways, lol.. thanks alot for your repsonses, any recommendations for the front speakers, ?? what are some good brand names ?
again thanks