Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Sub Infinite baffle install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 09:05 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sub Infinite baffle install

Has anyone done one? I have the coupe and plan to be trying a IB setup on the subs, I will be placing the new subs where the old one's sit. I have purchased 2 8" subs stated to work as IB... I have been browsing around and do not see that anyone else has done this.

any input would be nice.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:10 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
2 8's? i assume output isn't a concern? Cone area is usually king for IB.

Are you throwing these in the rear deck or on the seat back?

Old 08-24-2011, 10:25 AM
I got 2 8"s with the idea of them going in to the rear deck where the stock subs are. maybe its a bad idea I am unsure until I get them and try them out, I have a 12 I can switch to but it will take up the entire trunk which is something I am trying to avoid.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:06 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You're going to need a lot of custom work done to get IB to work. I thought about it, but now I've given up on the trunk space (face it, our coupe trunk is sh*t anyway ). I'm going with the 4080/Boxology enclosure with a 10" and calling it a day, I'm thinking about air ride in the near future, and that will do it for the trunk space

Take a look at this thread for this guys first hand experience with trying to mount 6" subs on the rear deck:
https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...ubwoofers.html

Old 08-24-2011, 12:01 PM
wow, thanks for the link to the other site, I guess I will scrap that idea and go with boxes with 8" it seems I can go pretty small so I can still have some trunk space.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't be so easily scared away! Your best bet for installing them is to make a baffle that will bolt in from underneath the rear deck and top mount the 8's and have them fire through the 6x9 holes. You'll have to seal the baffle around the edges to not allow any air leaks.

I would then apply some dampener on the bottom side of the rear deck cover and some ensolite foam. To prevent the cover from further rattles stuff polyfill between the cover and top side of the rear deck but leave the 6x9 holes open of course

The rear deck in my sedan probably weighs 3-4x as much as what it would stock. It's flimsy as a twizzler from the factory.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:09 PM
So would I be mounting the subs to the baffle? You are not saying to drop the subs into the 6x9holes?(after cutting them open) just want to make sure I understand...

Do u have your setup with 2 8's or? Any pics at all. Just trying to get an idea so I am fully prepared once everying arrives

Old 08-24-2011, 11:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mikesta
So would I be mounting the subs to the baffle? You are not saying to drop the subs into the 6x9holes?(after cutting them open) just want to make sure I understand...

Do u have your setup with 2 8's or? Any pics at all. Just trying to get an idea so I am fully prepared once everying arrives
You would leave the 6x9 holes as is and have the sub's mounted to a baffle underneath the rear deck. You would have to devise a way to securely mount the baffle from the rear deck. The 6x9 holes aren't going to choke the output at all. You could step up to a 10" and you'd be fine.

I didn't have an infinite baffle when I had everything in my G35 so I can't give you any pictures personally. I'll see if I can find you an example of what I'm talking about.

I've heard many IB setup's but never 2 8's. The one thing that would have me worried about this is going to be shear output of just 2 8's in that big of an "enclosure". Your 2 8's might not even model well in your trunk IB and you may be better off utilizing them in an enclosure.

Your still going to want to seal up most of the bigger holes on the rear deck and ideally it would be best to seal the trunk off from the passenger compartment but you have to decide upon that.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:19 AM
Originally Posted by nar93da
You would leave the 6x9 holes as is and have the sub's mounted to a baffle underneath the rear deck. You would have to devise a way to securely mount the baffle from the rear deck. The 6x9 holes aren't going to choke the output at all. You could step up to a 10" and you'd be fine.

I didn't have an infinite baffle when I had everything in my G35 so I can't give you any pictures personally. I'll see if I can find you an example of what I'm talking about.

I've heard many IB setup's but never 2 8's. The one thing that would have me worried about this is going to be shear output of just 2 8's in that big of an "enclosure". Your 2 8's might not even model well in your trunk IB and you may be better off utilizing them in an enclosure.

Your still going to want to seal up most of the bigger holes on the rear deck and ideally it would be best to seal the trunk off from the passenger compartment but you have to decide upon that.
I guess I could do a 'pretend' test of the 2 8" output by just letting them sit in the trunk and see how it sounds granted it wont be exactly right.. this is my first 8" that I have ever used so I am unsure on what to expect, I am willing to make a box though I think it would be small enough to make me happy still... unless it sounds like garbage which I get the impression from some people it might. Thank you for your input on all this I appreciate it helping me decide on what to do.