Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Previous owner did some "interesting" electrical..... need help LOTS OF PICS INCLUDED

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 01:57 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry Previous owner did some "interesting" electrical..... need help LOTS OF PICS INCLUDED

as the car sits there are just a few things i would like to discuss.
PICS INCLUDED: disregard the dirty car... I'm cleanin her tmrw
Let's Start in the engine bay.

Overview of the engine.
Missing battery cover.... Thanks infiniti

His power wire.....decent

Circuit breaker (driver side)..... at least 2 feet from the battery(passenger side)

Drill through the firewall twice without any grommets? Why not?

That second wire in the firewall is for this car alarm (Cone shaped plastic thing that u also can see in the first pic on the driver side) which went off whenever it wanted to so infiniti disconnected it and left it there.

Now for the good stuff.... the interior

Interior Overview

Wires from the engine coming into the interior by the brake/gas pedal area

I dont think that orange toggle flip switch is supposed to be there (ive tried turning it on and off and doesnt seem to do anything) I dont know what it is...

Screw holes behind rear seats in plastic. (prolly to hold something up that was there at one point idk) Passenger side...

Driver side

DVD Player wiring (A Mess) 3 T.V.s installed as well.

Idk what this jack is for but its wired into the dvd bundle. I am thinking remote line for DVD because it does fit there... but once again idk.
Now for the nightmare... :/ (amp and wiring in trunk)

Overview of the mess

Line out converter and bundle of RCA wire zip tied together...

6 speakers into a 4 channel REALLLLYYY small amp? why the hell not?

4 guage wiring (I think) into 8 guage using electrical tape (no coupler).... once again who needs the xtra stuff when u have tape.

Ummmm nice ground?? haha

As you can see he did a few things wrong here.
Can u guys help me figure out everything I said idk about in the description? Thanks a ton.

P.S. this was taped into the center console compartment and I think it is some sort of transmitter.. once again idk. (it wasnt hooked up to anything and there were no holes in the compartment so all the wiring stayed there)

PLEASEEE HELPPP

Old 09-17-2011, 11:17 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Ok, try and hit everything here.

#1 - Pull the wires from those holes, sand the rust out and get some paint on there to protect it from further rust. Then grommet the holes and run the wires back through.

#2 - Orange switch definitely isn't stock.

#3 - It looks like the orange-ish wires could stand to be shorted by several feet.

#4 - Fix that 4-into-8 gauge wiring problem.

#5 - That ground looks unnecessarily far from the amp. Shorter is always better there.

#6 - Is the thing from the center console an IR receiver for the DVD player?

#Bonus - I think the orange switch controlled whatever lights were screwed into the holes behind the seats.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:32 AM
Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts
Looks like all pretty typical stuff of a do-it-yourself install. I wouldn't necessarily freak out, but things obviously need to be fixed. Just gonna take some time and ordering a couple new parts.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:47 AM
Received 350 Likes on 232 Posts
orange switch is prob the kill switch for his DVD player, I have the same thing installed in my car.....but mine isn't huge and orange

Old 09-17-2011, 01:18 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Originally Posted by Jhambor
Looks like all pretty typical stuff of a do-it-yourself install. I wouldn't necessarily freak out, but things obviously need to be fixed. Just gonna take some time and ordering a couple new parts.
No, the running wires through the firewall like this *IS* something to freak out about. Vibration of the car is going to cause the wire's jacket to get cut through, then you're going to have a direct connection between the battery's + and - terminals. If you're lucky, you'll just trip the circuit breaker. If you're not lucky, it'll cause a fire in the car there. Besides that, it's a rust point that's only going to get worse.

Old 09-17-2011, 01:38 PM
Its just overwhelming to see all this stuff cause the guy had no idea what he was doing. BTW where should I ground my amp when I do the project?

Old 09-17-2011, 01:57 PM
Received 232 Likes on 183 Posts
Originally Posted by Nico Koutouzis
Its just overwhelming to see all this stuff cause the guy had no idea what he was doing. BTW where should I ground my amp when I do the project?
Like Wrath said, as close to the amp as possible. Shorter is better, so the answer will present itself when you mount the amp (or actually before you mount it, but when you figure out where you are going to mount it).

I don't know man, you inherited a bit of a mess. It's not the worst thing ever, but I'd be tempted to remove and restart rather than reuse much (if any) of that.

And I still have the same question I had from your previous post asking about the wiring - there's a perfectly good grommet behind the battery, why did he run everything all the way over to the driver side? The grommet there on the passenger side is right there and perfect for running power wires

Old 09-17-2011, 02:54 PM
cause hes retarded? i really dont know haha. The only thing im reusing are the wires everything else is out. and I am probably going to run through the passenger side this time and correctly plug up the holes.

Old 09-17-2011, 02:59 PM
I tried the orange button again to see if it turned off any electrical thing in the car ..... nothing. I think it was wired up to something before and its just chillen there now

Old 09-17-2011, 05:09 PM
Received 232 Likes on 183 Posts
Originally Posted by Nico Koutouzis
I tried the orange button again to see if it turned off any electrical thing in the car ..... nothing. I think it was wired up to something before and its just chillen there now
Could have been some interior LEDs, foglights, DVD kill switch... far too many options to really wager a guess. A toggle switch can be used for damn near anything but if you think you might need a switch for something in the future - good news, you've got one!

Old 09-18-2011, 12:42 AM
since there was a switch already haha im gonna do some leds in the sub box/custom false floor. Idk yet ill use it for something

Old 09-18-2011, 07:34 PM
The breaker is too far from the battery which could cause a fire. The protection should be as close to the battery as possible and absolutely no more then 18" from the battery. The breaker is there to protect the wire from catching on fire and every inch of wire BEFORE the breaker is unprotected.

If it were my car, I would pull the power wire out and completely redo it.

I can't really tell what all is going on, but I would suspect that the car at one point had subs in it. The orange switch probably turned the sub amp on and off.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:22 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
damn! that is a lot of wiring. if i were you i will work on it one by one. i dont really know what they are. however, i am sure you can remove them if you dont need them and your car will work just fine.

Old 09-19-2011, 12:32 AM
I am taking all audio equipment out and re-doing it with all alpine type r stuff

Old 09-19-2011, 10:30 PM
Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
No, the running wires through the firewall like this *IS* something to freak out about. Vibration of the car is going to cause the wire's jacket to get cut through, then you're going to have a direct connection between the battery's + and - terminals. If you're lucky, you'll just trip the circuit breaker. If you're not lucky, it'll cause a fire in the car there. Besides that, it's a rust point that's only going to get worse.
I can see your concern, but in my 5 years as a pro installer and over 13 years of car audio experience, I've yet to personally see a power wire actually short because of that. Granted, it's definetly a concern, and obviously something that should be avoided....I'm just saying I've never actually seen it happen in person. I'd be more worried about the circuit breaker itself then than the sharp rusty hole in the firewall...I have personally seen circuit breakers fail many times. A fuse is a much safer way to go.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Previous owner did some "interesting" electrical..... need help LOTS OF PICS INCLUDED