Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Backseat Headrest Monitors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 03:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Backseat Headrest Monitors

Hey, I was really interested in possibly putting screens on the back of my seats, for my friends to be watching movies on those long trips to clubs and stuff lol. Does anybody know what is a good maker, or type of monitor I should use, which is really good, has awsome picture but that isnt over like 650 bucks for the pair. Also, like what size do I need to get them in, is the setup complex and will they fit? Thanks guys! Btw. Does anybody have a setup like this?

Old 12-30-2004, 09:14 AM
why not take your head rests to a reputable car audio dealer and ask them what will fit. As for LCD monitors all i can say is that there are only a few companies that actually manufacter the TFT Screens. Most companies out there just go to these companies and buy the TFT screen build a case around them and put their own name on it.

Old 12-30-2004, 09:32 AM
Yes, i have headrest monitors in my coupe and theyre great! I went with two Farenheit 6.5 inch LCD and the quality is unreal! Having them for my passengers is really cool and all my friends really like cruising around in the back seat almost as much as the front (front is heated and its cooold here)
Also, it gets a lot of attention in the evening and at night when im cruising through town or on the highway...really cool....heres a picture of my setup...
IM me if you have any questions- jwright821

Attached Thumbnails Backseat Headrest Monitors-copy-screens.jpeg  
Old 12-30-2004, 10:08 AM
Is there any where we can read up on this stuff so we dont get flame for asking a noobie question? cause i want to know whatelse is involved besides the lcd.

Old 12-30-2004, 10:28 AM
Silver you really should think about going to talk to a car audio store. But besides the LCD screens you'll also need a source like a dvd player or an xbox. Also need some type of video selector/switcher, so you can show same thing on both monitors or be able to show different things if you have 2 sources. Some monitors come with the video selector built in. Just go talk to someone at a car audio store.

Old 12-30-2004, 12:13 PM
Sound Advice
If you want to ship your headrests to me I can install the screens and ship them back to you. email josh at josh@carsoundadvice.com if you are interested.

Rudy

Old 12-30-2004, 02:12 PM
Deep Sea Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PS2 install in coupe with headrest monitors

Here's the link to my installation. All of the pics I posted haven't been updated to the new server. I did everything myself.

The monitors take about 30 minutes to put in the headrest and I have pics of the process step-by-step posted as well. Pretty easy way to save $200-$300.

Trending Topics

Old 12-30-2004, 03:14 PM
Banned
Trent, the pics dont show anymore...

im lookin into doing it to my coupe also, do they show good from outside?? can other drivers see them clearly? or are the headrests too low?

nice setup man!

Old 12-31-2004, 07:28 PM
whats a good monitor that fit our headrest? im not looking for anything that expensive

Old 01-01-2005, 05:31 PM
Multi-Spoked Mod
yea... i need some monitors too.. hint hint(RUDY!!!!)

:P

Ed

Old 01-01-2005, 10:57 PM
I have heard good things about Xenarc
http://www.xenarc.com/product/700y.html#700Y
But my question is will they fit on the backseat headrest in my coupe ?

Old 01-02-2005, 03:50 PM
Hey guys, as you know I am a distributor for various goods. When I was looking for some products about 3 yrs ago, I saw LCD screens as being a somewhat decent market to play with. Well it wasn't.... But I did find out that there is really only 2-4 big makers of the core panels...

CLS2G35 is right... They are all basically the same screen, with different outer casings. Save your money and go with something other than the big 'name' makes. I myself have AudiVox units, and they blow away my friend's Alpine which he payed almost double or triple for.

Old 01-03-2005, 10:33 AM
Do you have a coupe or sedan?

With a sedan, you are severly limited due to the forward slope of the headrest back. I used Avic monitors in my sedan that tilt down to compensate. They are 5" (not wide screen) and tilt down about 25 degrees. Viewing angle is now perfect for an adult, and "acceptably off" for kids. Without this tilt, forget it for kids. These work quite well in terms of pictuire quality, but the passenger side does rattle a bit when no one is sitting in the seat due to the inadequate seat structure in out G's. Also, the headphone jack on the monitors is completely useless, but I never planned on utilizing this anyway....just don't think you can get away without something in the way of a headphone amplifier, (I used a Pioneer video switcher).

I used the Farneheit 6.5's mentioned above in my 4Runner, and they are much nicer; but would be facing the ceiling if mounted in the G sedan. On the Farenheit 6.5, they make a new model which is ultra bright, and I am very happy with these. These new models have no buttons, (everything on the remotes) and are some of the brightest ones out there now. If I had it to do over, I'd think about trying to find headrest replacements; maybe even see if coupe headrests (with something like the Farenheits cut in) would work on the sedan. When I installed mine in the sedan, more than a year ago, I could not find a headrest replacement, and figured the tilt models would be OK. There's a lot more out there now.

Old 01-03-2005, 12:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm gonna be going for the Vizualogic. They have a kit for the FX, Kit will include the actual headrest with matching leather interior, and 7" monitor. Vizualogic doesnt have the application for our G sedans so Im gonna be going for the FX kit. I currently have the FX headrest on my Sedan right now. They dont look bad at all.

Old 01-03-2005, 03:24 PM
StreetDeck.com Developer
Originally Posted by ikSardarG
CLS2G35 is right... They are all basically the same screen, with different outer casings. Save your money and go with something other than the big 'name' makes. I myself have AudiVox units, and they blow away my friend's Alpine which he payed almost double or triple for.
There may be only a few makers of the LCD panels in the 8" and lower size and you don't have to pay brand name prices to get a really good screen, but there are significant differences between different screens and it comes down to more then just the panel. The backlight and the display controller can easily make even the best LCD panel look terrible.

I too would never pay the price for a brand name screen, the only thing it usually buys you is a garuntee you will get at least a decent screen. If your going to go the cheap route, though, to be assured of a decent product, you need to do your homework before you buy. IMO the most important aspect of a small screen in a vehicle is brightness, don't settle for anything less the 300 nits unless you don't plan on using them during the day. Anything other then an Active Matrix TFT LCD will look like crap. I don't think resolution is important at this small size and some measure by dots rather then by pixels so make sure your comparing apples to apples if you do consider resolution. Maximum viewing angle will also make a big difference if your going to mount them on headrests that have to be angled away more from the viewer. Finally you might also want to look for features like auto on and auto off when it detects video signal usually only found in the higher quality screens.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Backseat Headrest Monitors