Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Amp off of factory HU - Is noise an issue? + Bonus Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 09:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amp off of factory HU - Is noise an issue? + Bonus Question

I have a Bose equipped 2003 g35.

I want to replace the stock amp with in a jl audio xd700/5. I picked this because it has it can run off all 5 channels from 4 channels of differential balanced input.

My worry is I will need to turns the gains very high b/c of the low voltage and that this will create noise. Has anyone attempted a similar setup or have any advise.

Bonus question.
My plan is to run the front channel to power a nice set of components and run the rear channel to power the stock rear speakers and the deck speakers in series (creating a 4 ohm load). Will this work? Will a sub in the back interfere with the deck woofers?

Thanks

Old 02-01-2012, 09:13 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,038 Likes on 611 Posts
Running them in series is a bad idea.

Run only the front components and rear sub. Remove the rear deck speakers to allow the bass from the sub to get into the cabin unobstructed.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:43 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you use that amp, plan to blow the bose speakers, as thats what will happen....they are not designed to handle that much power at all. A nice component set off that amp will do wonders (even better when you add an a/m head as signal quality is important)

You're actually going to want to keep the gain LOW, so as to keep the stock speakers from blowing as I mentioned.. the higher you keep the gain, the more likely you will generate noise, correct.

Each channel on that amp can handle 2ohm (sub channel can actually handle 1.5ohm) so you would be fine running them straight provided the bose speakers are no less than 2ohm (this I'm unsure about - maybe someone else can chime in)

When you get a/m components, 4ohm is really the industry standard, so it will be 4 ohm per channel per side/speaker (as in, for comps, each crossover input would see 4 ohm. this is normal)

I'd do it all at once, but that's me. If you use 9 wire when running (using factory wiring for ease of install), don't forget to remove/bypass the BOSE amp, as this will obviously cause problems