Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Cut RCA Video Cable and Add Connector?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 09:30 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cut RCA Video Cable and Add Connector?

I have a 2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe. I am installing a Pioneer ND-BC5 rear view camera. I have decided to mount the camera next to (or above) the license plate. I will run the RCA video through the little hole with the rubber grommet in the back bumper that holds the wire/cables for license place light.

Close to this hole location I want to cut the RCA video cable and attach a weather proof terminal wire connector (eg IDEAL) so I can connect/disconnect the RCA video cable if I need to. My reasoning is that if I ever need to remove the bumper for a repair, painting, etc, then I do not have to remove the entire head unit to disconnect the RCA video cable at the back of the HU in order to pull out the RCA video cable -- I can simply disconnect the video cable close to the rear bumper.

Question 1: can I cut a RCA video cable and then attached a male & female terminal wire connector? I don't know what the wire of a RCA video cable looks like inside. Does the RCA video cable consist of a single or dual copper wire pair? Or does the RCA video cable look more like a coax cable with a single copper wire in the middle surrounded by a braided insulator sheath on the outside...?

Question 2: If the RCA video cable looks more like a coax cable, then what kind of connector would I need? Can I cat this type of cable and add male & female connectors?

Any information would be appreciated, please.

Thank you -- Cameron

Last edited by cninham; 04-23-2012 at 09:33 AM. Reason: correct details
Old 04-23-2012, 09:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have looked the the video cable that runs from the video camera to the power supply and it consists of five wires inside a protective sheath. The wires are brown, yellow, black (ground ???), red, and light-red or orange.

These five wires terminate into a 3-pin connector, which looks somewhat like a 3-pin female Deans connector.

The brown and yellow wire connect to one terminal (outside), the black (ground ???) connects to the center pin, and the red and light-red (or orange) wire connects to the other outside pin.

Would it be "safe" to cut this wire and connect a 3 pin Deans male and female connector using the same wiring configuration?

Thanks -- Cameron

Last edited by cninham; 04-23-2012 at 09:49 AM. Reason: corrected spelling and description
Old 04-23-2012, 03:48 PM
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Hmm.. I've never had good luck trying to do this sort of thing with RCA or video lines. I guess I lucked out, the cam I have is actually set up like you're suggesting - about 12" of line from the cam there is a female end to unplug if necessary.