Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Pioneer AVIC-N1

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 12:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pioneer AVIC-N1

guys im a nooob when it comes to audio and visual so help me out please.

if i purchase the pioneer AVIC-N1 which i've seen at tweeter and online.......do i have to buy anything else to watch dvd's and stuff?? and if i get this since this plays cds/mp3's as well......where do i play my cds? in the stock hu or in the pioneer? i don't know how that would work. thank you!!

Old 01-13-2005, 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by g35sammy

if i purchase the pioneer AVIC-N1 which i've seen at tweeter and online.......do i have to buy anything else to watch dvd's and stuff?? and if i get this since this plays cds/mp3's as well......where do i play my cds? in the stock hu or in the pioneer? i don't know how that would work. thank you!!
Wait for the Avic N2 coming out shortly. It was on display (and functioning) at the Comsumer Electronics show already. It adds real time XM satilite traffic, a very cool feature. Basically shows traffic jams, construction delays, etc. right on the NAV map. This unit will do all you ask for and more. This technology is available from Pioneer as a Double Din unit, or a single DIN with flip up screen.

You would presumably get a double DIN conversion and eliminate your stock head unit completely.

Old 01-13-2005, 01:01 PM
AVIC-N1 is pretty cool. The only thing I don't like about it is that you have to load and unload the navi disc. Say you want to go somewhere from your house and you want to use the navi. First you have to load up the navi disk then basically save the directions to your destination. If you want to listen to music then you have to yank the navi disk out and put in your music disk. Kind of a pain in the *** if you ask me. I liked the Avic-90 Navi with screen better. This setup had a separate navi unit where the navi disk sat in, and you had another unit that had your screen with cd/dvd player.

Old 01-13-2005, 01:16 PM
Sound Advice
From what I hear you won't be able to watch dvds on the N-2 because it uses the gyro to know if the car is moving where b4 it was the parking brake.

Old 01-13-2005, 02:22 PM
That is finally a reason that makes sense as to why the N2 won't do DVD playback! Thanks!

I wonder if the unit if firmware upgradable (i.e. hackable)...

Old 01-13-2005, 02:30 PM
wow so if the new N2 isn't going to play DVD's......then i should just go with N1 because playing DVD's are a major reason im getting this.

Old 01-13-2005, 02:34 PM
Are you trying to play DVDs while driving is the question. I hope not, as I go to the Philly area regularly!

I know from even having my brother have a portable DVD in the passenger seat that it is very distracting to have video playing while visible to you... so I understand (and I guess even support) the limitation for these dashboard units... as long as you have full function DVD while parked.

Old 01-13-2005, 02:44 PM
Sound Advice
Even if you have the N-1 if you upgrade to the N-2 software you will loose dvd too.

Old 01-13-2005, 02:45 PM
well i want it to play for my passengers.....not for me~

Old 01-13-2005, 03:35 PM
The N2 will definately play DVD's. I'm not sure, but I'd bet you can play DVD's while moving to the video out (for headrest monitors) but to the front screen only while stopped. I guess they found too many customers were not hooking up the parking brake cut off; this change helps prevent a law suit against Pioneer. This really makes sense.....we don't need to hear about any more homicide charges for deaths caused by distracted drivers.

Old 01-13-2005, 11:45 PM
Yep the new unit will stop dvd playing

You can go with the avh-7500dvd

Old 01-13-2005, 11:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CLS2G35
AVIC-N1 is pretty cool. The only thing I don't like about it is that you have to load and unload the navi disc. Say you want to go somewhere from your house and you want to use the navi. First you have to load up the navi disk then basically save the directions to your destination. If you want to listen to music then you have to yank the navi disk out and put in your music disk. Kind of a pain in the *** if you ask me. I liked the Avic-90 Navi with screen better. This setup had a separate navi unit where the navi disk sat in, and you had another unit that had your screen with cd/dvd player.
the simple solution to not swaping the navi disc is, to add an changer

Old 01-14-2005, 12:04 AM
Originally Posted by g35sammy

there is nothing else to buy for N1 to watch DVD! other than DVD itself . dont think stock HU will work after installing an N1 (or anyother deck), the lights will come on and you are able to store disc in the changer but no sound will (should)come form stock HU...if you travel outside of your home area(10+ miles)? you might want to add an cd/dvd changer, so you dont have to worrie about swaping the navi disc.

Old 01-14-2005, 12:05 AM
Dvd Changer? Are Those Around? Wow, Where!?

Old 01-14-2005, 12:18 AM
Originally Posted by HOO-MAN?
Dvd Changer? Are Those Around? Wow, Where!?
try here --- dvd changer

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pioneer AVIC-N1