Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

G35 Completely broke... really need help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2012 | 03:13 PM
|
Unhappy G35 Completely broke... really need help

So a few days ago i bought an iSimple is76 chord to install in my 04 G35, I had already had one in there so the box and everything was already installed so I thought that I would just have to switch out the chords and the place was gonna charge me 40$ to install, so I thought I would just do it instead.

I went to install it today and so looked up a video on how to take off the center console first. The video looked simple enough and so my friend and I got to work. We slid the bottom of the shifter **** down and took out the clip. Then we took off the the entire **** and partially removed the console area around it. It was still connected to a few chords so I removed one of the the ones, near the top right. At this point the radio was still playing and everything. Next, we go to work on some of the other chords we couldn't figure out how to get any of them out by the time the radio and car shut off randomly.

We didn't know what happened so we tried to start it and it wouldn't start so we plugged the chord back in and put the console back on and then tried to start it. It still wouldn't start. The car was in neutral since that's the only way you can pull the console off so we thought that might be the problem. So we put the car in park and tried it again. Again, nothing and now the car won't shift out of park for us to take the console off again.

I really have no idea what to do at this point and need help, I don't know much about this stuff. I don't think it's just the battery because when you turn the key it doesn't make the clicking noise, nothing happens. Also, an interesting side note, whenever I press the hazard lights button EVERYTHING flashes; the overhead lights, the "slip" light, the buttons on the center console, but interestingly enough not the change of direction lights.

Old 07-02-2012 | 03:30 PM
sounds like you messed something up bad, try putting everything else like it was before then check your fuse box for any blown fuses.did you have the car running when you were pulling the "chords"?
by chords u mean wires correct?

Old 07-02-2012 | 04:29 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure
Premier Member
Rule #1, disconnect the battery when working on electrical.

When the battery in our car is low, very strange things happen, so charge the battery completely before doing anything drastic. Just because some lights work in the car doesn't mean there's a decent charge.

If you messed up the harness that sends the park-neutral position, it won't try and start (nor will it with a sufficiently low battery).

Remove the shift trim again and, using the manual shift-lock release, ensure you're in park position before trying to start it again.

Old 07-03-2012 | 12:34 AM
^ what he said, always disconnect the battery before doing anything with electrics.

Old 07-06-2012 | 01:09 AM
Are you saying that the car was actually running while you were taking it apart?

Chance are you have blown a fuse by shorting something out. If the car won't even crank (assuming you have a charged battery) most likely the fuse you blew is right at the battery. If that is the case, they are special dealer only fuses that will probably cost close to $40.

Old 07-06-2012 | 01:51 AM
Originally Posted by maxmck

We didn't know what happened so we tried to start it and it wouldn't start so we plugged the chord back in and put the console back on and then tried to start it. It still wouldn't start. The car was in neutral since that's the only way you can pull the console off so we thought that might be the problem. So we put the car in park and tried it again. Again, nothing and now the car won't shift out of park for us to take the console off again.
I really have no idea what to do at this point and need help, I don't know much about this stuff. I don't think it's just the battery because when you turn the key it doesn't make the clicking noise, nothing happens. Also, an interesting side note, whenever I press the hazard lights button EVERYTHING flashes; the overhead lights, the "slip" light, the buttons on the center console, but interestingly enough not the change of direction lights.
There is a black plastic piece on the top left of the gearshift console which is just covering a hole. Pry it out and use your key to push down in the slot and you'll be able to shift the lever where you need it.