Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Looking for Opinion/Recommendations for my Sound System

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2012 | 08:33 PM
|
Looking for Opinion/Recommendations for my Sound System

So I recently bought a G35 Coupe(actually I bought Yosefs from here on the forum - I drove all the way from California back to Kansas ) and I'm working on moving my sound system from my old vehicle to my new coupe. I'll just post what I have to see what you guys think I should do.

So in my truck, I had Alpine SPX-13PRO's(5.25" components in the front door) and SPR-17C(6.5" speakers in the back doors) powered by an AQ4X90. For my subwoofer, I have an Fi Q12 powered by an AQ1200D.

Now with the coupe which has 6.25" speakers in the front doors, 5.25" speakers to the sides of the back seat, and 6x9's on the back deck, I'm wondering what you guys think I should do. Right now I'm thinking that I'll keep the SPX-13PRO's and just use brackets to put them in the front door. Then I'll sell my 6.5" speakers I had and buy the Alpine SPR-50(5.25" speaker) for the back, and SPR-69(6x9 speaker) for the back too. But then I'm wondering about how I should power them... It is possible to wire a set of speakers to be powered by my headunit(Alpine 9886 with Imprint), correct?

Or would you guys recommend selling my speakers and amp and doing something different from there? I could probably spend $800 total on speakers and an amp if I were to sell the speakers and my speaker amp. I'm not inclined to buy any brand over and others, I just got a great deal on the Alpine stuff so I pulled the trigger on it. I'm looking for the best sounding equipment within that price range.

Thanks!

Old 07-23-2012 | 11:53 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure
Premier Member
The coupe and sedan are both 6.5" front and rear. No idea where you're getting those sizes from.

The SPX-13PRO's are good enough I wouldn't swap them out, and with a spacer will fit just fine in the front. Just bridge the AQ4x90 to two-channel mode and power them up front, don't worry about the rear speakers at all, it's entirely unnecessary in the coupe. I'd probably venture that it would sound worse with the 17C's installed and powered.

Take some of that $800 and put it toward sound deadening with your existing equipment and you'll have the best sound without breaking the bank.

Old 07-24-2012 | 12:12 AM
|
I got that information straight from a thread on here when I Google'd "04 coupe speaker sizes g35driver". I did just check crutchfield and it said that same thing you just said, so I guess that's good news for me.

After thinking about it, I'll do exactly as you just said and bridge the amp for the front speakers and get some sound deadening. As for the 6x9s, should I just keep my stock bose speakers back there? And also, just to make sure I'm understanding correctly, should I use my headunit to power both sets of the rear speakers?

Old 07-24-2012 | 01:07 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure
Premier Member
Don't power the rears. Front soundstage is less complicated and more like how you experience audio in real life anyway. For home theatre which does 5.1, 7.1 and is mastered for surround listening, go for it, however, music is mastered in stereo, to simulate being at a live concert with the band in front of you, so having two front channel speakers is optimal for music enjoyment... although if you get a dedicated sound processor to use rear speakers as fill, you can add more speakers without taking away from the experience.

The SPX-13's have better low-range than the bose 6x9's, so including them won't help. Add a real sub or some dedicated 6x9 woofers (not 6x9 components!) with a decent amp if you want more bass than the SPX's do alone.

Old 07-24-2012 | 11:51 AM
|
I do have a sound processor(Alpine Imprint) and I would really prefer to have my rear speakers so those that sit in the back every once in a while don't feel so far away from the music and can hear more than the bass because of the subwoofer right behind them(Fi Q12 powered by an AQ1200D in a ported box - 2.1cuft @ 29hz).

Sorry for kind of asking the same thing again, but I just want to clarify so I can do the correct thing right off the bat. So by taking you're recommendation, I'll power my front SPX-13's with my amp in two channel mode. From there, I'll just power my rear 6.5's and the stock 6x9's from the output of my headunit? I know powering speakers from a headunit isn't optimal, but it will work, correct?

As far as sound deadening, are there any specific spots that other G35 owners have found to be most effective? Also, I know there are many brands out there, would you happen to have any recommendations?

Thanks again for all of your help, I greatly appreciate it!

Old 07-24-2012 | 06:06 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure
Premier Member
If you have a real subwoofer, tear those 6x9s out, they won't add anything at all.

You might be able to get some decent rear fill with the headunit power the rear speakers, but they're going to be struggling to heard at all with the powered speakers up front and that sub in the trunk.

Sound deadening, the big spots are the doors, the trunk, and the rear deck. Only brand I recommend is straight from www.sounddeadenershowdown.com - CLD tiles to cover about 25% of the surface area of the metal to keep it from being a vibration source, then closed-cell foam and mass loaded vinyl to act as a noise barrier along the entire door skin.

Stay away from dynamat, it's overpriced and underperforming compared to pretty much everything else.

The following users liked this post:
Pals4life (11-15-2012)