Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

PAC Steering Wheel Control access and reprogramming

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 07:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PAC Steering Wheel Control access and reprogramming

I've been meaning to post this for a while...I have the PAC steering wheel control adapter running to a Pioneer P3200BT. All has been running well...initially, at least. After about 8 or 9 months, the 'volume up' programmed control stopped working...then the 'volume down' started working intermittantly. No biggie...since I mostly use the headunit controls...but it just bugs me.

So...has anyone had issues with the steering wheel control adapter losing programming? Any thoughts on why some controls don't work at all...some are working intermittantly, and some work perfectly?

My learned lesson (assuming re-programming takes care of this)...put this programmable part in a location that you can get to without taking the whole dash apart. Of course, this is not how I installed mine...Oops! But I will after I R/R and reprogram it.

Rick

Old 09-26-2012, 11:10 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,038 Likes on 611 Posts
Never had it lose the programming, but if the reference ground or other wiring isn't soldered (if they used wire crimps or just twisted the wires together), the variances in the resistance of the wiring can cause poor performance.

The re-programmable part is probably under the radio.

Old 11-10-2012, 02:51 PM
My Pioneer 3200 display driver went out. My display was only white on grey, and only 1/2 the screen width. Just purchased a replacement 3400, because I was quoted $200 for the display drive part only!

I've been traveling alot...but I finally got a chance to open up the dash again. Yes, Wrathernaut...the connections were crimped! I will pull apart and solder.

My primary mission is to R/R the 3200 with the 3400. I had the 3400 up and running with the dash open but... in the process of buttoning everything up, I must have blown a fuse. Now I have to track down why my +12V is no longer supplied. One step forward, and two back today.

I'll post when I get it worked out.

Thanks

Old 11-13-2012, 05:58 AM
Okay...update for the PAC Steering Wheel Control...

I found two connections that were crimped, and removed the crimps, soldered and heat shrunk the wiring.

I still have problems with steering wheel controls as follows:

During programming, only selected controls in sequence will program correctly. For example, in programming in order per the instructions, "Volume Up, Volume Down, etc"...The first control in the sequence will store, but not subsequent controls. I can switch the order to "Volume Down, Volume Up, etc", and the first control will store properly but not the rest of the list. So...I take it that the steering wheel switches themselves are not the issue. I can also program the first control to another Steering Wheel switch (like the track up/down).

Has anyone bumped into this kind of issue with the PAC SW?

Rick

Old 11-13-2012, 06:06 AM
Almost forgot...The good news is that the Pioneer 3400 is installed and up & running.One of the features on the new set is HD Radio. This was not a factor in my purchase, but came on the unit as a feature. I did not think I would hear much difference with HD Radio, but I was really surprised! It may be that I have been without any sound system for long enough that I am simply enjoying having audio again, but the broadcast sound is much better than I remember.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:29 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,038 Likes on 611 Posts
Originally Posted by rbunch4468
Almost forgot...The good news is that the Pioneer 3400 is installed and up & running.One of the features on the new set is HD Radio. This was not a factor in my purchase, but came on the unit as a feature. I did not think I would hear much difference with HD Radio, but I was really surprised! It may be that I have been without any sound system for long enough that I am simply enjoying having audio again, but the broadcast sound is much better than I remember.
On stations that broadcast in HD, the difference is HUGE. On stations that do no, there's no difference at all. I wish I had more than two stations out here that did HD broadcasts. There's the NPR station, which isn't too bad, as talk is much easier to understand with the clarity of HD and they do classical, which sounds much better as well. The other station is christian rock so ... yeah.

Old 11-15-2012, 06:17 AM
"I wish I had more than two stations out here that did HD broadcasts"

Yep...understand competely. In this case, I'm in the Boston area. It's the exception that stations do not broadcast the digital signal...even the sports talk! So, the radio sound of HD is a bonus to me relative to my old 3200.