Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Bose System Regret

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 07:21 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Bose System Regret

So I got my new system installed today. kept the Bose HU, JL 500/1, JL 300/2, and front set of Polk Audio DB6501 components. I had the tech disable the rear speakers as advised by the Wrathernaut . I don't have my subs hooked up as I didn't receive my sub enclosures in time. $330 later, I'm pretty un-happy with the results.. after reading good reviews on these component speakers, I expected a lot more out of them. Very very harsh highs at high volume,not out of control volume, but loud enough to enjoy, and the bass isn't all there. Is there a break in period? Is the main cause due to the stock Bose HU? The sound system sounded alot nicer with the Bose -_-

Old 04-03-2013, 08:07 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Originally Posted by Kyle Barbaro
So I got my new system installed today. kept the Bose HU, JL 500/1, JL 300/2, and front set of Polk Audio DB6501 components. I had the tech disable the rear speakers as advised by the Wrathernaut . I don't have my subs hooked up as I didn't receive my sub enclosures in time. $330 later, I'm pretty un-happy with the results.. after reading good reviews on these component speakers, I expected a lot more out of them. Very very harsh highs at high volume,not out of control volume, but loud enough to enjoy, and the bass isn't all there. Is there a break in period? Is the main cause due to the stock Bose HU? The sound system sounded alot nicer with the Bose -_-
Did you read through this thread yet? - https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...-stock-hu.html

The website that had the photos of the analysis seems to be gone, but basically, the bose HU outputs a pretty good flat signal. I haven't any experience with the DB6501s, but they are well-regarded. How are they mounted in the doors? Did you use the OEM mounts or MDF? any sound deadening in the doors? Where do you have the tweeter attenuation switch on the crossover set to? What is the amp filter mode set to?

Old 04-03-2013, 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Did you read through this thread yet? - https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...-stock-hu.html

The website that had the photos of the analysis seems to be gone, but basically, the bose HU outputs a pretty good flat signal. I haven't any experience with the DB6501s, but they are well-regarded. How are they mounted in the doors? Did you use the OEM mounts or MDF? any sound deadening in the doors? Where do you have the tweeter attenuation switch on the crossover set to? What is the amp filter mode set to?
I gave the tech the box of the speakers which came with there own mounts, Im going to assume that they used those. As far as the tweeter switch im not sure what its set to, I never asked the tech..I have attached a picture of the back of the amp with all the settings, let me know if anything seems out of place. These guys seemed like dicks and didnt seem like they enjoyed there job to much lol

Heres the back of the amp with the settings

Old 04-03-2013, 10:13 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
why the hell is it set to lowpass

Use this tutorial to set the gain
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...-properly.html

Btw, no speaker set will ever sound good out the box

This is why EQ is important

The following users liked this post:
S 854 (04-03-2013)
Old 04-03-2013, 10:19 PM
Received 290 Likes on 218 Posts
It is never the quality of the parts that make or break an install but the quality of labor and attention to detail that ensures you have a pleasant experience. Rip it all out and have it done by competent folks that know what they are doing. MDF baffles, proper imaging, sound deadening and tuning is what WOW's you not the fact that you bought jl audio or Polk.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:26 PM
Originally Posted by faiz23
It is never the quality of the parts that make or break an install but the quality of labor and attention to detail that ensures you have a pleasant experience. Rip it all out and have it done by competent folks that know what they are doing. MDF baffles, proper imaging, sound deadening and tuning is what WOW's you not the fact that you bought jl audio or Polk.
thats what you get for going to best buy!

Old 04-03-2013, 10:29 PM
Originally Posted by eggyhustles

Are you refering to the preamp output? I went out for a ride a little while ago.. this **** sounds soo bad, im literally about to go back and throw my Bose speakers back in.. unless the amp just isnt configured correctly

Old 04-03-2013, 10:33 PM
low pass is for subs only

For example

If u low pass at 100 hz, they'll play from 100hz down.

From what i can see, seems like it's lowpassed at 130. It should be high passed 80 and it plays from 80hz up.

I'm surprised u got anything out of the tweeters

btw, why did u go to bestbuy?

Old 04-03-2013, 10:38 PM
so should I set the preamp output to high pass and adjust it to 80hz? I cant tell if its at 130 or below 50hz.. pretty much my only option was Bestbuy, every other place was booked for months.. this will be the last time I ever use them for **** like this.. they didnt even give me fuses for my amps, after they were done I couldnt even listen to it til i drove a half hour to an autozone.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:48 PM
Follow the tutorial in the link above.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:00 PM
Received 375 Likes on 296 Posts
If you had the install done at Best Buy, you should either take it back and have them adjust it (do your homework and tell them what you want done) or go to another Best Buy that has a better install tech. Nice thing about BB is they pretty much cover your install as long as you own the car.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:34 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by eggyhustles

It's the preamp that's set to lowpass.

The fact that his speaker outs are set to 50hz High-Pass definitely explains the complete lack of bass.

Since there's no subwoofers in there yet, just set the filter mode to "OFF" for now - the specs show the freq response of the Polks going down to 35hz, so you'll regain some of the bass. Once you get the subwoofers going, set it to 80hz high-pass on the filter controls.

I'm not sure if you're better off going with the full range to the subwoofer's amp when it's installed, using the second amp's low pass filter for the subwoofer to have more precise control than the 3-way switch.

I also have no idea if the gain is set correctly, since the bose headunit ouputs a low voltage, you may need to tweak the sensitivity to get the power to where it's supposed to be at.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:40 PM
Received 334 Likes on 286 Posts
Coupe, Premium package, sport suspension
they didnt even give me fuses for my amps, after they were done I couldnt even listen to it til i drove a half hour to an autozone.
Then you turned it on and found out that the omission was a mercy gift :-/

Old 04-04-2013, 10:04 AM
and i get no reception on my FM channels eeeeeeeee!

Old 04-04-2013, 10:54 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

and i get no reception on my FM channels eeeeeeeee!
See the sticky'd post on DDin installs by me for how to keep your FM from going away.

If anything your whole experience here is proof that even amatuers doing it themselves with proper instruction seem to have a better success rate than second-rate "professional" installers.

The following users liked this post:
Kyle Barbaro (04-04-2013)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bose System Regret