Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Single din conversion questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 03:49 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Originally Posted by saywat?
i see. must be universal then. looking on metra site. i do see some unversal and nissan pockets. good to know. esp if its proven to work by members here.
Yep, just do the universal one and you might have to trim some of it. Using a Nissan one is probably made for a specific nissan, so it may not fill the full space you need.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I'm getting closer to ordering this all (got side tracked by a Recaro purchase ). Pretty sure I am going with the Metra aluminum trim, I just can't justify the JDM pricing, especially when I am just going single din anyway. I noticed alot of the parts (if not all) are available on amazon, and ebay. Does anyone have a recommendation of who to order through?

One last question. I was looking over wrathernaughts FAQ double din thread, and saw the steering wheel interface (ASWC1) part. Do I NEED that if I don't ever use the steering wheel mounted audio controls? Will the audio system function without it, less the volume switch on the steering wheel? Just trying to see if I can save some cash if it's something I don't even use anyway.

Thanks

Old 08-01-2013, 09:47 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by Chantastic
Well, I'm getting closer to ordering this all (got side tracked by a Recaro purchase ). Pretty sure I am going with the Metra aluminum trim, I just can't justify the JDM pricing, especially when I am just going single din anyway. I noticed alot of the parts (if not all) are available on amazon, and ebay. Does anyone have a recommendation of who to order through?

One last question. I was looking over wrathernaughts FAQ double din thread, and saw the steering wheel interface (ASWC1) part. Do I NEED that if I don't ever use the steering wheel mounted audio controls? Will the audio system function without it, less the volume switch on the steering wheel? Just trying to see if I can save some cash if it's something I don't even use anyway.

Thanks
No, you don't need the ASWC-1 if you never plan to use the steering wheel controls, but it's $40...

Old 03-11-2014, 07:03 PM
Hey,

Sorry one more question. I am finally getting around to ordering parts, and was rereading that sticky linked earlier. Do I need the factory sound system interface (ROEM-NIS2) if I am going to be installing an aftermarket Sony head unit? The ROEM-NIS2 sounds like a amp? And the Sony has its own. If I were installing the Sony in another car, I would normally not need the ROEM-NIS2 component. So I am wondering what purpose what this component serves and if it is actually needed? Traditionally I would just get the wiring harness for my car, and splice it into the aftermarket Sony harness and call it a day.

Thanks

edit: all my sound components are oem, and I am only changing the head unit.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:10 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
come on man read the sticky weathernaut provided. he put a lot of work into making that so people don't ask the same **** over and over

Old 03-11-2014, 07:46 PM
With all due respect saywat?, I did read that thread and am just asking for some clarification. That's all. I've installed decks before but have never needed something like that before. I don't mean to be repetitive. I respect 'Wrathernaught's' work making the thread, and certainly enough to spell his username properly . Sorry for asking a question...

Old 03-12-2014, 09:13 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Unless you're replacing the bose amp, you need the parts listed.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,026 Likes on 943 Posts
Originally Posted by Chantastic
With all due respect saywat?, I did read that thread and am just asking for some clarification. That's all. I've installed decks before but have never needed something like that before. I don't mean to be repetitive. I respect 'Wrathernaught's' work making the thread, and certainly enough to spell his username properly . Sorry for asking a question...
The art of trolling, It's Wrathernaut...!

Old 03-12-2014, 03:20 PM
Thanks again for your help, much appreciated! Everything is now here for the install, including the ROEM-NIS2 (just came in the mail). I ordered it a while back but a friend who is a lot more experienced with audio stuff than me was a bit confused by it (so am I). I just wanted to make sure I didn't hack up something that I just bought if I didn't actually need it. Anyway when I get around to the installation, I'll take some pics of the Metra single din.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer

Old 03-12-2014, 10:20 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
I'd rather not get too caught up in spelling.

Old 03-14-2014, 04:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, I installed a double din pioneer dvd player, but the sound and bass quality is horrible and not the same as the orginal bose system. Does anyone else have this problem or is it just me? Can anyone tell me what I can do or anyway of fixing this. I loved the orginal stock system sound very clean. Thank you!!!

Old 03-14-2014, 05:35 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by g35blackkk
Hey, I installed a double din pioneer dvd player, but the sound and bass quality is horrible and not the same as the orginal bose system. Does anyone else have this problem or is it just me? Can anyone tell me what I can do or anyway of fixing this. I loved the orginal stock system sound very clean. Thank you!!!
Same problem very recently:
https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...ouble-din.html

Old 03-18-2014, 01:16 AM
Well, I installed it (thanks for the DIY video!) but ran into one issue. The front left speaker doesn't work at all. I'm pretty sure it was working before the install of the new deck, unless I just never noticed it wasn't working. I plugged in the old oem Bose unit again to check and and got static to come through it on a bad radio station, but at the time I didn't think to test for an actual station to hear anything audible (figured the fact that any noise came out at all was enough to draw to a conclusion).
I double checked the wiring diagram, and redid the crimps on the white and white/black wires, and also redid the ground. No luck.

I noticed that recently the puddle light on the driver side has been flickering as well. Could this be related? At the moment I don't have a multimeter... just thought I'd ask on here in case it's a common problem. It's a modern Sony deck, if that helps.

edit: I am using the NIS2

Old 04-07-2014, 07:40 PM
So I recrimped (third time now) the white and white/black wires for the left speaker. I also soldered the ground together. Left front speaker still will not work. I unplugged everything and plugged in the OEM Bose head unit back in and the left speaker worked just fine.

I noticed the NIS2 has four holes exposing what looks to be contacts for the speaker wires (and markings for the left front, right front, left rear, and right rear on the face of the box). Am I supposed to do something with these?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Single din conversion questions