Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

AV Electronics Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 09:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AV Electronics Install

Im getting ready to order the av electronics unit and just wondered from those who have installed where they have done so? Pictures, anything you guys encountered would helps i can plan it well. I just want to avoid pulling apart the entire car, instead just decide before hand, kinda know it will work and the wires will be long enough and go through. I'm hoping there is room behind the dash above the tranny somewhere where i can put it but have my doubt's. Kick panels i feel like would be too flimsy a design. Trunk i'm guessing is too far for the nav cable but wouldlove to install where i remove the sirius unit. Any ideas would be great. Thanks again.

Old 02-03-2005, 09:10 PM
THE Sundip Kumar of LA ?? Dee-Jay ?

eheh... Regarding the install, I personally installed mine in the passenger side floorboard, just under the glove box area. There is a very thick padded carpet, and I was able to pull the carpet aside and easily place the AV unit there... It was a perfect fit, and it stays put... Nobody even knows it's there... The cable was an easy reach over to the navi module harness and the install was great.

Confused where mine is? Imagine sitting in the passenger seat, with your legs/feet fully extended out. Right where your feet are, is where the unit lies (under the padding/carpet). There were no heat issues for me, and I have not had a single issue since... Plus, the unit is easily accessible, incase I want to add more sources.

Being a dealer, I have told many customers this install location. I have had them call back and thank me for the suggestion. I myself picked it up from someone else too...

Old 02-03-2005, 10:02 PM
Location: Centerburg, Ohio (the geographical center of the Buckeye State)
Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
Or..........

you can install the AV electronic unit into a 6x9x3" space next to your passenger's right foot.. Instead of putting it under the carpet, remove the plastic panel that is in the extreme right wall at the bottom of the passenger foot well (2 clips and a plastic screw ****) and there is that space you can fit wires and the unit in. Russ aka trentacinque aka meatshackle placed his AV unit there.

doc

Old 02-04-2005, 12:41 AM
Nice

Thank for the input. ill probably use the space behind the kick well, appreciate the under floor idea, but i've had a friend spill and entire bottle of jack alllll over my floor and had a alpine unit there once. Can't trust these guys. Where would be the best place to get the unit power, and doing so i was told to put a noise filter in the power wire. Also going to install the PAC adapter so any ideas on those. If you guys have pics to links, that you be great. Thanks again.

PS. I'm not the DJ Sundip Kumar from LA, but i've heard that many times, theres another one in detroit which happened to be my hometown a couple years back.

What would install time roughly be too. Ive done complete system installs before, stripped interiors etc so im not shy. Thanks again.

Old 02-04-2005, 10:39 AM
I have the PAC audio units in stock as well. Let me know if you need help with one of those...

I installed mine in the center console area, near the cupholders. There was plenty of space there, and it is still easy to access if/when I needed to. It was just a matter of getting behind the headunit, and running the cable from there, to the cupholder area.

Currently I have my iPod audio on the PAC Channel 1 and the AV Electronic box audio on PAC Channel 2. It's perfect.

Old 02-04-2005, 12:37 PM
Sound Advice
You should also check out the Nav with TV piece and the ones made by NavTV and Generator Labs too. The GL piece runs about $150 and the Nav with TV will work on most cars so you can move it to you next car unless its a BMW.

http://www.navwithtv.com/

Last edited by Rudy; 02-04-2005 at 12:48 PM.
Old 02-05-2005, 11:35 AM
Deep Sea Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Installation for the AV unit will take around 4-5 hours. You'll save yourself another hour or more if you get the PAC audio unit before you start installing the Nav switcher. Then you only have to remove your head unit once.

Old 02-05-2005, 01:27 PM
what sbould i expect to pay

I'm ready to order the pac audio module as well as the av electronics module. What should I expect to pay. Currently i was just going to order the pac module through the main website and the av electronics unit through the main website. Anywhere cheaper or is everyone about the same.

Old 02-05-2005, 02:19 PM
I think I have some great pricing on these units. My pricing is NOT the same as the sites you may be considering above... I think I can help save you some cash.

Old 02-05-2005, 03:45 PM
email

Email me at legit526@aol.com with pricing and are the models the current models the distrubutors have. Thanks. I think im buying two sets of each, maybe three.

Old 02-06-2005, 02:07 PM
[QUOTE=Meatshackle]Installation for the AV unit will take around 4-5 hours....QUOTE]

Russ, 4-5 hrs? I was able to have functioning video on my screen within 45 mins or so. The car was closed back up in about an hour. Most stereo shops my customers have gone to have charged 1.5 or 2 hrs of labor if they get stuck... Not sure why it took you so long?

Before my install, I read about the entire disassembly of the dash area. Perhaps this, and the fact that I am pretty good with car audio installs helped?

Oh yeah, this was the AV install only... My PAC audio unit was installed a year later - and that took about an hour as well.

Old 02-06-2005, 11:22 PM
Deep Sea Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You're talking about a professional installer versus a do-it-yourselfer.

Old 02-07-2005, 11:56 PM
Do you guys know of anybody that can do the install in Southern Cali? I suck when it comes to audio stuff.

Old 02-08-2005, 12:11 PM
In Socal ... I have referred some people to Al and Ed's autosound. They are a franchise based installer, and generally have an hourly shop rate for misc installs. I have heard good things about them doing the AV and PAC installs... I would suggest you approach them in person as well...

Old 02-08-2005, 12:14 PM
Drive to Salt Lake and I'll help you out.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AV Electronics Install