Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

I think I found the navscreen replacement I've been looking for

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 03:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
With Llama, you can setup fuzzy logic style controls. For my wife's Tab 4 it has two events.

Event 1 "When charging, turn screen on, and play media"
Event 2 "When on battery power, turn screen off, and pause media"

I have a relay from the stock wiring harness that controls a charger for the Tab. So when the key is on, relay activates the charger, and thus the tablet is charging and it launches Event 1. When the key is off, and the tablet is on battery power, it runs Event 2.

Llama can also activate/deactivate apps as well. So if you want to run Waze, and TetherGPS, you can set it to do so when the key is on. Personally for me, I would leave Waze and TetherGPS running in sleep mode, that way you don't have to bother running it all the time.

Also if you're using an android phone you may want to look into a paid app called "Tablet Talk". It'll allow you to connect your phone and tablet via bluetooth or Wifi. When you get a text message or phone call, it will show up on the tablet. You can answer or reply via tablet. So if you've got media going, and you receive a call, it'll automatically pause it (I use the stock media player along with MX Player for movies and it'll automatically pause both).

Old 10-11-2014, 05:07 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Originally Posted by ihiryu
With Llama, you can setup fuzzy logic style controls. For my wife's Tab 4 it has two events.

Event 1 "When charging, turn screen on, and play media"
Event 2 "When on battery power, turn screen off, and pause media"

I have a relay from the stock wiring harness that controls a charger for the Tab. So when the key is on, relay activates the charger, and thus the tablet is charging and it launches Event 1. When the key is off, and the tablet is on battery power, it runs Event 2.

Llama can also activate/deactivate apps as well. So if you want to run Waze, and TetherGPS, you can set it to do so when the key is on. Personally for me, I would leave Waze and TetherGPS running in sleep mode, that way you don't have to bother running it all the time.

Also if you're using an android phone you may want to look into a paid app called "Tablet Talk". It'll allow you to connect your phone and tablet via bluetooth or Wifi. When you get a text message or phone call, it will show up on the tablet. You can answer or reply via tablet. So if you've got media going, and you receive a call, it'll automatically pause it (I use the stock media player along with MX Player for movies and it'll automatically pause both).
Well, it looks like the tablet turns waze off on its own after sleeping for a while, so I don't need to worry about that.

And if I remember correctly from when playing with bluetooth before, my Z110BT headunit will switch from the bluetooth streaming audio to a phonecall automatically.

Old 10-11-2014, 06:39 PM
Ah, yeah didn't realize you had an aftermarket headunit. I thought you were doing a radio replacement. When are you going to have the new charging cable?

Old 10-11-2014, 08:16 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Ah, yeah didn't realize you had an aftermarket headunit. I thought you were doing a radio replacement. When are you going to have the new charging cable?
I've got the charging cable already taken care of, thought I'd posted this one - it's a Startech 3 foot left angle Micro USB. I had it for my phone install, but for this tablet, I think you'd be better off going with the RIGHT angle version so that it would be angled away from the power button:

Old 10-12-2014, 11:46 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Okay, so although physical installation went without issues, software remains a hurdle.

1) The bluetooth audio connection with the Pioneer radio connects unreliably. Once connected it's ok, unless interrupted by a phonecall. I'm not sure if this is more the fault of the radio or the Fire. It reconnected to the radio when the radio was powered on only once, besides that one time, it's a lot of poking at the connect screens to get them to pair. I can get around this by connecting into the headphone jack, but doing that won't let me use the steering wheel controls, nor will it pause during a phonecall, so I won't pursue that route, as it's striving for mediocrity instead of anything near an optimal situation.

2) The limited amazon app store is still pretty annoying.

So, I think for now, I'll leave it installed, hoping that somebody roots the thing and gets vanilla android running on it.

Old 10-12-2014, 12:19 PM
Here's an idea

Maybe side load a different launcher?? Like smart launcher or anything like that?

Old 10-12-2014, 02:22 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Here's an idea

Maybe side load a different launcher?? Like smart launcher or anything like that?
I may have just got in on this too early, and will have to wait for the android experts to start hacking this device. The screen is great, the processor is pretty good, and the price is fantastic. I can't see them ignoring it for very long.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:06 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Interesting idea.

Kinda getting tired of non-touch screen button NAV myself

Old 10-14-2014, 06:45 PM
Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
I may have just got in on this too early, and will have to wait for the android experts to start hacking this device. The screen is great, the processor is pretty good, and the price is fantastic. I can't see them ignoring it for very long.
By any chance did you figure out how to make the screen go up and down?

Old 10-15-2014, 08:16 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Ok, so quote with a message with youtube links is breaking messages...

By any chance did you figure out how to make the screen go up and down?

With the 05+ there's no trick at all, just plug the gray harness in the back and it works like normal.
Up:
Down:

Last edited by Wrathernaut; 10-15-2014 at 08:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
S 854 (10-15-2014)
Old 10-15-2014, 08:30 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Looks good.

Weird seeing a Nav screen in a car without the Ikey.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:41 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
Looks good.

Weird seeing a Nav screen in a car without the Ikey.
Yeah, one downside to a 6MT, I suppose.

It actually looks really good if I do say so myself, the phone video doesn't do it justice. I'll get out the real video camera soon and do a more complete demo now that it's put together and I've at least got the tethering issues fixed.

And I'm still trying to think of a good way to utilize the nav button area.

Last edited by Wrathernaut; 10-15-2014 at 09:45 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very cool. I'm trying to find something to mount in the cubby as mine didnt have the nav motor thingy. A Sony xperia z ultra will fit nice and snug. Need nav!

Old 10-21-2014, 08:57 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

While the width looks a little too wide -

Sony Xperia Z Ultra dimensions:
Width: 17.88 cm
Height: 9.19 cm
Depth: 0.6604 cm

Navscreen space:
Width - 17cm
Height - 10.5cm
Depth - 3cm

There's a little bit of extra wiggle room, since there's screws about 1cm in the depth dimension that protrude into the navscreen space, so since your Xperia fits between the front opening and those screws, it should be fine. That extra 1cm of height room could even give you space to reach the power button. Something I would I could do more easily with the HD6. The charging dock on the side could also be used instead of a USB connection, but I prefer using the USB with mine, since I can get to the plug fairly easily where it runs down under the shifter trim to plug into my laptop if I need to do some changes not possible through AirDroid.

The Xperia reportedly has GPS, a-GPS and GLONASS. With all three, this thing should work great for navigation, provided it's tethered to your phone or given its own SIM card for real-time traffic and destination searches.

One thing you may want to check is the polarization of the screen if you wear polarized sunglasses (as many anti-glare driving sunglasses are). The Xperia Z2 becomes completely black when in landscape mode when viewed through polarized sunglasses, not sure about the Xperia Z Ultra.

The Fire HD6 works fine with polarized sunglasses.

Last edited by Wrathernaut; 10-21-2014 at 09:09 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
While the width looks a little too wide -

Sony Xperia Z Ultra dimensions:
Width: 17.88 cm
Height: 9.19 cm
Depth: 0.6604 cm

Navscreen space:
Width - 17cm
Height - 10.5cm
Depth - 3cm

There's a little bit of extra wiggle room, since there's screws about 1cm in the depth dimension that protrude into the navscreen space, so since your Xperia fits between the front opening and those screws, it should be fine. That extra 1cm of height room could even give you space to reach the power button. Something I would I could do more easily with the HD6. The charging dock on the side could also be used instead of a USB connection, but I prefer using the USB with mine, since I can get to the plug fairly easily where it runs down under the shifter trim to plug into my laptop if I need to do some changes not possible through AirDroid.

The Xperia reportedly has GPS, a-GPS and GLONASS. With all three, this thing should work great for navigation, provided it's tethered to your phone or given its own SIM card for real-time traffic and destination searches.

One thing you may want to check is the polarization of the screen if you wear polarized sunglasses (as many anti-glare driving sunglasses are). The Xperia Z2 becomes completely black when in landscape mode when viewed through polarized sunglasses, not sure about the Xperia Z Ultra.

The Fire HD6 works fine with polarized sunglasses.
Good point on the polarised comment. I don't have a nav so it would be mounted to the back of the cubby door. I believe the cubby is 18cm wide inside.