Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

USA SPEC iPhone interface for iPhone 6

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 11:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
USA SPEC iPhone interface for iPhone 6

Just installed a USA SPEC iPhone interface and wanted to share my experience with the new iPhone. I have a 2004 Bose with a "SAT" button, no nav, prewired for sat, but no sat installed.

I originally ordered the PA15-INFI, which connects to the prewired sat harness in the trunk. I installed and properly grounded the interface, but I could not get the head unit to recognize it. I checked all wires all the way to the back of the head unit, including removing the head unit and checking the actual connections. The unit seemed defective and I ordered another from the same Amazon seller.

The second unit I ordered was a PA15-NIS. After going through all the wires and taking apart the dash to troubleshoot the trunk-connected interface, it seemed easier as a final install to just go ahead and take the dash apart and use the head unit-connected version. The PA15-NIS worked properly except for the charging function. I was able to play and change tracks and get artist/song info back from the iPhone, but there was persistent static that sounded like radio interference and no charging. I tested with several iDevices and decided this interface might be defective as well.

The third unit I ordered was another PA15-NIS. This unit was completely non responsive. I swapped only the box and it was not detected by the head unit. Notably, this 3rd interface came with a 30-pin cable that was built differently from the 2nd unit. When I tried the 3rd unit's iPhone cable with the playable 2nd interface, it seemed to have a short and would lose a right or left channel when I wiggled it. This 30-pin cable is visually distinct and has different model numbers compared to the others. (Pic attached. Bad cable from 3rd unit on bottom.)

The fourth unit, another PA15-NIS, just arrived. I ordered this directly from Amazon. This unit had the same style of 30-pin cable as the second unit (no shorts). I swapped this unit with the 2nd unit and it played my iPhone. Finally, this one charged my phone as well.

Everything works with the 4th unit. I had to pay more than $16 to ship the first PA15-INFI, so for the remaining units I made sure they qualified for Amazon Prime. Units 1-3 were from the same independent seller, with 2 and 3 being PA15-NIS and having prime shipping and free returns. The working unit 4 was a PA15-NIS from the same product page but fulfilled by Amazon. All the PA15-NIS units (2-4) had tape on the package, seemingly indicating they had been opened at some point.

USA SPEC iPhone interface for iPhone 6-fa3rfll.jpg

The following users liked this post:
dukehotty (02-16-2015)
Old 02-17-2015, 08:18 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
That static you heard with the previous unit was most likely due to a defective ipod/iphone cable. Years ago when i did a write up on the install, I had to have the manufacturer send me a revised cable. Do you have a lightning cable adapter or did your unit come with a lightning cable?

Old 02-23-2015, 12:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenPenguin
That static you heard with the previous unit was most likely due to a defective ipod/iphone cable. Years ago when i did a write up on the install, I had to have the manufacturer send me a revised cable. Do you have a lightning cable adapter or did your unit come with a lightning cable?
I thought so too, but this was a different kind of static. The cable on the bottom had static that was a short or bad connection that I could reproduce by moving it around. The cable on the top came with the unit that wouldn't charge, and it would make static that sounded like radio interference with the non-charging unit but not with the fully working unit. I tried all combinations of cables and interface units.

All three of the cables were 30-pin cables. Two were the PA105A like the one on top. Those both worked. I tried them all with a 4S and with an Apple lightning adapter on an iPhone 6. They all had the "H2" numbers, which I think is the updated version from whenever Apple switched to 5v charging.