Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Console controls stuck on 20, and radio black.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 01:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Console controls stuck on 20, and radio black.

I recently purchased an 2004 Infiniti g35x, before winter started I noticed one day that my heat/air, actually all my console controls are unable to use. I can't change anything, and my heat is stuck at 20, also my radio has been black ever since and I'm unable to load up the screen or change any controls. I haven't switched anything or installed anything new, it's all stock. I called about the recall on the 04-05's and they told me that my vehicle was not recalled and wasn't on the list. I'm just wondering if anyone has had this problem and know how to fix it, I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada and since winter just started it goes to below -40, I've had my vehicle in my garage this whole time since the issue started about 3 months ago. Thank you!

Old 12-19-2016, 07:36 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Failed radio, which shares a circuit board with the climate control system.

Doing a full double-din conversion should fix it, and get you a better radio too.

Old 12-20-2016, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
Easy now, can't he just replace the stereo with an eBay one and call it a day?

Old 12-23-2016, 11:05 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
Easy now, can't he just replace the stereo with an eBay one and call it a day?
Yeah, I really don't understand why a double din trim kit costs $10 for my old car, but $200 for this one?

Old 12-23-2016, 03:23 PM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
If it was recently purchased, I might guess that it had and aftermarket stereo and the previous owner went back to stock before he sold it. Might be something as simple as a loose connector in the back.

If it is failing, then as Wrathernaut says, the radio and climate control share a circuit board. You have two options, find a stock replacement off ebay or a partout thread, or go with a double din conversion and aftermarket radio. Stock replacement is probably the easiest, double din will net you a better radio in general than a 12+ year old stock unit.

Old 12-24-2016, 11:25 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by LoSt180
If it was recently purchased, I might guess that it had and aftermarket stereo and the previous owner went back to stock before he sold it. Might be something as simple as a loose connector in the back.

If it is failing, then as Wrathernaut says, the radio and climate control share a circuit board. You have two options, find a stock replacement off ebay or a partout thread, or go with a double din conversion and aftermarket radio. Stock replacement is probably the easiest, double din will net you a better radio in general than a 12+ year old stock unit.
Yeah, good point. Previous owner could have just thrown stock in there and not had the harnesses still intact, but I would doubt it.

Stock replacement wouldn't be recommended, because any replacement is going to be just as old and close to failure as the one that's dead in there.

Old 12-24-2016, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
Nooo I know that lol. Like can't he just buy a cheaper stereo that hasn't gone bad.

Originally Posted by LoSt180

The long winded guy got my point across :?.

Old 12-27-2016, 01:56 AM
The whole vehicle has always been stock, he never changed the stereo system. The only thing changed was the rims. Which would be the quickest and most efficient, I have to get my heat and radio working since winter has arrived for work. Double din conversion, or find a stock stereo system and replace it. Would it still fix my climate controls issue if it's due to the circuit board?

Old 12-27-2016, 06:56 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by Tbmajikal
The whole vehicle has always been stock, he never changed the stereo system. The only thing changed was the rims. Which would be the quickest and most efficient, I have to get my heat and radio working since winter has arrived for work. Double din conversion, or find a stock stereo system and replace it. Would it still fix my climate controls issue if it's due to the circuit board?
The circuit board is powered by the radio, and it's the radio's power circuit that fails. The problem is, sometimes that failing power circuit fries the control board, and sometimes it just fail to give it power. So, replacing the radio might give you a working power supply for the climate controls, or it may just give power to an already fried board. It's one of the reasons that aftermarket is recommended.

If you're not afraid of electronics, you can give the repair a try - https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...epair-diy.html

Replacing with aftermarket/JDM climate controls give you a climate control board that has its own power circuitry, so it'll fix it.

Old 01-15-2017, 12:01 AM
Thanks for all your suggestions and replys, I greatly appreciate it and I will try them out. If I get a 2008 Infiniti g35x sedan stock radio, will it fit and be compatible with my 2004 Infiniti g35x sedan and fix the issue, and what do I need for the stock radio, just the radio and all the electrical?

Old 01-15-2017, 12:38 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by Tbmajikal
Thanks for all your suggestions and replys, I greatly appreciate it and I will try them out. If I get a 2008 Infiniti g35x sedan stock radio, will it fit and be compatible with my 2004 Infiniti g35x sedan and fix the issue, and what do I need for the stock radio, just the radio and all the electrical?
Hell no. 2008 is an entirely different car. You can't even use a 2005 in a 2004 (and not even all 2003 radios will work). You need just the main radio unit, and hope it's in better shape since it's just as old as yours is.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.