Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

JDM double Din Kit issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 09:17 PM
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
JDM double Din Kit issues

So I just got my JDM double din installed with a head unit. A week before that I bought a full set up and was about to pull the trigger on the metra kit and then realized how terrible it really was.

So What I did was removed the Metra kit from the order and bought the rest of the wiring and head unit.

I get a call from the shop today and they tell me the head unit does not fit the JDM kit opening. If you look at the pic, theres a good 1/2" gap right underneath the head unit. You can see they were able to frame it up nicely with material from another vehicle which matched very well.

I was wondering if any other owners of the JDM kit ran into this problem too. The double din fitting VERY tightly on the sides and there being a gap on the top and/or bottom.

JDM double Din Kit issues-xptj4ho.jpg

heres a pic of the extra piece they installed to close the gap on the bottom, its high lighted in red...and now the head unit is actually isnt flush with the JDM framing, its pushed inward, which bugs the *** out of me. Not the shops fault in any way. They did their best to fix the big gap on the bottom which that succeeded.

JDM double Din Kit issues-91pot51.jpg

Last edited by Zerafian; 12-27-2016 at 09:22 PM.
Old 12-27-2016, 09:56 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Yes, they're common, so common they're both in the Double Din Install FAQ under the "Common problems and how to avoid them" section.

The gap is unavoidable, some radios come with trim rings because a lot of cars have non-standard openings, but not all. But i is something so common that an installer shouldn't have even mentioned it as an issue.

If it's sitting inset, that is the fault of the installer. All it takes is to drill a few new holes in the radio cage so the radio sits further forward (or backward, or angled right, depending on the situation)

Basically they were too lazy to do this:

To achieve this:

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.