Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

05 Sedan Speaker Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 06:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 Sedan Speaker Question

Hi all,

One of my rear door speakers is well on its way out and I am just thinking of replacing it with another used Bose speaker on ebay. Are all 4 speakers in the doors, minus the tweeters the same? On ebay they show compatibility for one car and then show its from an other in a different location. I can pick up a used one for $23 after shipping.

I did hymm and hah over just buying just a new set on Crutchfield for $59 for the Polk DB651 but it seems like some modification is to take place to make them work, and I am not sure how they will sound mixed into the rest of the stock Bose system. Everything I have read tells me these speakers are 6.5 in size, yet on Crutchfield everything in that size comes with the minor mod warning yet they still recommend 5 1/4 as well speakers and show they fit as is. Any recommendation for those who have just swapped a set a speakers out and left everything else as is.

I have no plans to upgrade anything else as I have had this car since 2005 and will be ready for a change in a year or so. Thanks in advance.

Old 02-09-2017, 07:33 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Yeah, they're the same speaker front/rear.

Not sure why crutchfield recommends the 5 1/4, probably just for easier depth adjustments.

All you need to use a different speaker is a spacer - zenclosures sells well-cut MDF spacers, but if you have a router, you can make your own pretty easily.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:53 AM
Good to know on the speaker spacer. If I go with teh aftermarket Polks, would these be a decant replacement? Just curious how they will sound mixed in with the rest of the sub par Bose system.

Old 02-10-2017, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by leeman
Good to know on the speaker spacer. If I go with teh aftermarket Polks, would these be a decant replacement? Just curious how they will sound mixed in with the rest of the sub par Bose system.
Always better to replace speakers in pairs, and always better to upgrade when you have the chance! I always found my factory system to be lacking, I'd find the best speakers you can afford and swap them. It's an easy install.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:29 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Originally Posted by leeman
They'll be fine, biggest difference will probably be the sensitivity, so you'll have to fade it front/rear to equalize the volume.

Sound quality-wise, you're still limited by the bose amplifier until you replace it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.