Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Double Din kits

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 09:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Double Din kits

Hey all. Was trying to decide if I wanted to change the stock stereo on my 05 (non premium) coupe. What really put me off was the price of just getting the kit and after looking around have run into some other types so does anyone have experience or reviews of these?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-2007-G...53.m1438.l2649

Much cheaper than the JDM kits but I am concerned somewhat of quality and also the temperature control is a button rather than the rotating ****. Does it matter with the dual button aswell as its not part of my model. Really love my music but want to be able to bring in MP3s, USB and Bluetooth cos quite limited on CDs.

Last edited by STRYDG; 11-26-2017 at 10:03 PM.
Old 11-26-2017, 11:22 PM
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
It really just comes down to preference. If you're going for looks or just the ability to install an aftermarket double din. They both do the same, one is just cheaply built and the other is built to match the interior perfectly. They do sell radio transmitters that transfer your Bluetooth music from your phone to a specific station on the radio if all you want is the ability to play music from your phone, costs around $10.

Here's a couple of links I found that might interest you

Metra Kit - eBay

Metra Kit w/ Pioneer Double Din - eBay

Bluetooth FM Transmitter - eBay

Last edited by JG_G35; 11-26-2017 at 11:42 PM.
Old 11-27-2017, 12:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
************************************************** ***********************************

Last edited by Blue Dream; 11-27-2017 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Keep it to PM's please, no FS comments allowed outside the Marketplace.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:15 PM
Thanks. Just found out my mates Honda Accord is a Metra kit as well so will check his out this evening to get an idea of how it will look. Probably go down that route.

Is there any tutorials/specs set ups for changing the factory speakers? Was messing around with the setting in the weekend and noticed the rear speakers are pathetic. Once the stereo is changed will want to change these too as that will make a serious difference to the sound quality!

Old 11-27-2017, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
It won’t look the same as it does in the accord, as it changes from model to model. Check out YouTube. There is a whole double din guide to get you from a to b on the install. Good luck.

Old 11-27-2017, 09:09 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Originally Posted by STRYDG
Thanks. Just found out my mates Honda Accord is a Metra kit as well so will check his out this evening to get an idea of how it will look. Probably go down that route.

Is there any tutorials/specs set ups for changing the factory speakers? Was messing around with the setting in the weekend and noticed the rear speakers are pathetic. Once the stereo is changed will want to change these too as that will make a serious difference to the sound quality!
Metra looks like garbage for 05+. To get an idea of how the buttons feel, find the cheapest universal remote at wal-mart that has rubbery buttons, and that's what it feels like, only worse since the buttons are about 1" x 1".

It'll probably look fine in a honda accord that has plastic interior bits, rather than aluminum. It'll look terribly matched in your Infiniti.

Swapping the speakers without adding an amp will only get you so far,.

Old 11-27-2017, 09:14 PM
Yeah I was gonna go through that double din guide, just trying not to do it while at work cos might be glued to it for awhile, haha...

That's interesting cos I have heard its not an exact match but it was close to the brushed aluminium. Yeah I know I will only get so far with speakers only but did it in my previous car and the quality was a sh!tload better combined with a new stereo. I did a search but didn't come across any guides for changing speakers unless Im blind? (good chance)

Old 12-01-2017, 05:26 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Originally Posted by STRYDG

That's interesting cos I have heard its not an exact match but it was close to the brushed aluminium.
Sadly you heard wrong, it looks like azz like Wrathernut said. Just scroll through the "Show us your DD" thread and you'll find plenty of examples of what the Metra looks like. I usually look for the best bargains in a lot of my life but this is one I wouldn't cheap out. Buy a JDM DD and it'll be well worth the investment.

Old 12-03-2017, 08:52 PM
Thanks guys, appreciate the honesty. It would probably mess with my OCD so good to know! Will keep an eye on eBay and see if I can hunt down others elsewhere.

Have found guides to pulling apart trim to get at the speakers in the front doors but is there anything on the mid/back passengers? From reading (let me know if this is correct or not) that it can be hard to find a speaker size to replace the mids? So its both 6.5" sizing but the depth is the tricky part supposedly. If all else fails can get them professionally installed but nice to save some money and learn more about the car.

Old 12-03-2017, 10:59 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
There is a rare 3rd option (if you can find one) that a member here recently discovered, and that's the Scosche DD. It looks WAY better than the metra and isn't much more expensive. Not AS good as the JDM DD, but I would sport it if I had to...I would rather deal with the stock **** before I went metra tho..such garbage.

Old 12-06-2017, 01:36 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Originally Posted by ScraggleRock
There is a rare 3rd option (if you can find one) that a member here recently discovered, and that's the Scosche DD. It looks WAY better than the metra and isn't much more expensive. Not AS good as the JDM DD, but I would sport it if I had to...I would rather deal with the stock **** before I went metra tho..such garbage.
Scosche is only available for 03-04.

Old 12-06-2017, 08:03 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Scosche is only available for 03-04.
Ah, my bad.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.