Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Have you done a double din swap and setup an android auto screen and do you like it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2022, 05:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you done a double din swap and setup an android auto screen and do you like it?

I want to replace the current music system with one of the apple carplay / android auto ones with a scree and all. but when i look at where people have installed them it seems like a location thats too low in the console and would be hard to actually look at for navigation. does anyone agree and are there other solutions that I dont know of? I was wondering if the empty compartment at the top of the dash that typically houses screens for g37's would be better to house a screen and the lower portion could become a storage? any ideas, suggestions, advice welcome. Also im new to modifications so please feel free to tell me anything a noob needs to know

Old 07-23-2022, 06:03 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
This one's easy. Pioneer DMH-WC5700NEX (sponsored link). It has a separate 1-din control unit and a long-enough cable to reach the factory navigation screen location. You will have to modify the screen housing parts to get it to fit, but it's sooo worth it. If you have a bandsaw, it only takes a few seconds. You can do the same with a hacksaw in a minute or two.

I'm about 90% sure that the lift mechanism would still work, but it's a tight enough fit I didn't want it to jam and burn out the motor if it wasn't enough, so I just unplugged the lift mechanism and leave it in the up position. If you get the JDM climate controls and mount them behind the factory bezel, it would look completely stock.

The screen's volume, voice command, and application home buttons are slightly annoying to use, so the future plan is to just add physical buttons either in the nav screen bezel, or behind the now-useless navigation buttons below the screen.

The following users liked this post:
FatherOfDragons (07-23-2022)
Old 07-23-2022, 06:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow. and, questions

Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
This one's easy. Pioneer DMH-WC5700NEX (sponsored link). It has a separate 1-din control unit and a long-enough cable to reach the factory navigation screen location. You will have to modify the screen housing parts to get it to fit, but it's sooo worth it. If you have a bandsaw, it only takes a few seconds. You can do the same with a hacksaw in a minute or two.

I'm about 90% sure that the lift mechanism would still work, but it's a tight enough fit I didn't want it to jam and burn out the motor if it wasn't enough, so I just unplugged the lift mechanism and leave it in the up position. If you get the JDM climate controls and mount them behind the factory bezel, it would look completely stock.

The screen's volume, voice command, and application home buttons are slightly annoying to use, so the future plan is to just add physical buttons either in the nav screen bezel, or behind the now-useless navigation buttons below the screen.
Wow! that looks really cool. almost exactly what I was imagining. I have so many questions. Firstly the pioneer single din comes without the housing and lift mechanism right? Am I right in assuming your car had that already or you found that separately and then replaced the factory screen with the pioneer one? Mine doesnt have the screen, just has an empty compartment there with a lid.

Another question, how does this work with the built in audio system? does radio and all still work but one setting turn all the sound to be from the Pioneer system?

all advice and guidance is immensely appreciated. thank you so much!

Old 07-23-2022, 07:51 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Originally Posted by FatherOfDragons
Wow! that looks really cool. almost exactly what I was imagining. I have so many questions. Firstly the pioneer single din comes without the housing and lift mechanism right? Am I right in assuming your car had that already or you found that separately and then replaced the factory screen with the pioneer one? Mine doesnt have the screen, just has an empty compartment there with a lid.

Another question, how does this work with the built in audio system? does radio and all still work but one setting turn all the sound to be from the Pioneer system?

all advice and guidance is immensely appreciated. thank you so much!
The pioneer comes with a bracket that attaches to the back of the screen, which can be used to attach it to the single DIN unit, or onto any custom mounting location. With some additional parts made, you could mount the screen into the cubby location in place of the lid (know anyone with a 3D printer and some modeling skills? well, besides me...) and have a pretty slick looking setup. I don't have a G35 with the cubby anymore since I traded in the wife's G35, so just mine with the factory nav mechanism, otherwise I'd take some measurements and print something up. I still may do that for mine to remove more of the factory parts holding the screen now. It works great as is, so I don't have much reason to tear it apart and fabricate other components to make it slightly nicer.

It works with the factory audio system like any other DDin install, so you can follow my guide to cover that if you're handy, or have somebody else follow it like hundreds of others have.

If you can make it to Pennsylvania, I'm happy to help whenever I have time.