Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Left Signal Squeaking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2022, 05:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G35 Coupe - New Engine - Cone Intake - Hollowed Cats - Auto
Left Signal Squeaking

Been having an annoying problem. Left signal does not work and when turned on causes a squeak noise. The right signal work perfectly fine. Any opinions on what it could be?

Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_6471.MOV (13.13 MB, 17 views)
Old 09-21-2022, 02:37 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,462 Likes on 2,154 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Does the left signal work when you turn on the hazard lights? Dash light working too?

If it works with the hazard lights then the problem is not within the BCM or the lighting circuit. Instead it would probably be either the turn signal stick itself or the steering wheel spiral cable/clockspring. Both are easy to replace but if the turn signal stick feels odd and doesn't have a good tactile CLICK in both position then I would start with it.

Old 09-22-2022, 03:55 AM
Originally Posted by cleric670
Does the left signal work when you turn on the hazard lights? Dash light working too?

If it works with the hazard lights then the problem is not within the BCM or the lighting circuit. Instead it would probably be either the turn signal stick itself or the steering wheel spiral cable/clockspring. Both are easy to replace but if the turn signal stick feels odd and doesn't have a good tactile CLICK in both position then I would start with it.
I do have that issue that its broken. The usual Cruise Control just being intermittent till it stopped working all together as well as the steering wheel and cruise control light flickering every time I turn the wheel, horn does not work at all unless I turned the steering wheel to a certain position.

Before I switch it out, are you for certain it might not be my cluster? Mine has a working Manual Mode but Gas doesn't read right and over jumps and flips over as well as lighting issue on the cluster…

Thank you for your support

Old 09-22-2022, 08:18 AM
Received 99 Likes on 85 Posts
None of us can diagnose anything for certain because you may have unrelated issues happening at the same time. However ... no horn, a failed cruise control with flickering steering wheel lights as you turn the wheel points to what? Spiral cable / clockspring would seem like the obvious issue there. That unit is essentially a coil of wires that bend every time you turn the wheel so they will eventually break.

Your gas gauge, left turn indicator, instrument cluster backlights (and flashing airbag light) are likely unrelated to the steering wheel controls issue. Again, I could be wrong, we're just trying to help you figure out what's happening.

Old 09-22-2022, 11:36 AM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Definitely sounds like two problems, I suspect your clockspring is causing the steering wheel issues, plus it's a widely reported issue with these cars. Same with the gas gauge not reading correctly and the dash cruise control SET light not working properly.

Old 09-23-2022, 01:20 PM
Thank you for the help all. Will let you know how it goes. Am going to put back the OEM steering wheel and a picknpull clock spring back on and hopefully that works

Old 09-23-2022, 02:44 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Firstly, make sure the steering wheel is PERFECTLY STRAIGHT when you remove it, helps with the final step.

Be sure to make a match mark across the steering shaft and the entire clockspring (I put masking tape from the front to the top and draw on it) because if you're off by even ONE TOOTH it's going to require a visit to the dealership to recalibrate the steering angle sensor.

Personally I use a fine point sharpie and draw a big long match mark across EVERYTHING, be sure it's actually a perfectly straight line, don't try to freehand it. Then take a couple good pics with your phone, then transfer those same marks to the new clock spring.

You should also verify that the new clockspring is in the center position, turn it gently by hand all the way to the left, then count how many rotations to go fully to the right, then center it. Sometimes you'll get them new out of the box and they're turned to far to the left or right, if you install it like this and turn your steering wheel all the way to the lock past how far the spiral cables goes then you break it and will be replacing it again...

Trending Topics

Old 01-27-2023, 09:22 PM
Update

The Tail as turn wire was shorting out, thank you all!