Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I change my stock setup for $1200 total?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 10:02 PM
FGC's official flip flopper
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I change my stock setup for $1200 total?

Hey guys. I want to upgrade my 2005 Bose coupe speaker setup. I have read thread after thread about changing the stock setup and maybe you guys can help me with this. I am looking for some sort of setup that will cost around $1200 total, which hopefully includes installation and wiring (I will need a shop for this as I have no skills in car audio). I listen to all kinds of music including hip hop so I like the bass, but dont need bone cruching bass, just enought to feel it. (ie. 1 10" sub is plenty good).

I want to keep the stock HU so I guess...from what I have read...I need a LOC which will cost me ~ $50 bucks. I dont wanna spend the $400 for the JL clean sweep. I just need something that will work with the stock system. Is this upgrade even worth it if I want to keep the stock HU? I will need a 10" sub (I have read good things about JL 10w6v2) which will cost me ~$250...a sub box which will cost me ~$150-200...a amp for my components and sub. This is where I get hazy. When you guys say don't really need the rear fills, is that just the rear 6X9 deck or do you mean all 4 rear speakers. Do I look for an amp with only 3 channels or should I get a 5 channel amp like the JL 500/5. Or should I spend a little more and get two amps...one for the sub and one for the components? What are the best bang for the buck components for my fronts (and rear if you think I need those too).

Can I upgrade a lot if I go to say...$1500? I've tried to read up on this but it seems like there are a ton of options and I am more confused than ever. I dont need a full equalizer but I would love to be able to control the bass from the front so I can turn it down when needed. What are my options and should I spend a bit more for a nicer system or can I do this within $1500.

I know I asked a ton of questions and I have read some threads which discuss this but I figured before I spend this money I should ask again in my very own thread.

Does anyone know of a good shop or person for this install in Florida?

TIA guys

Jason

Old 03-15-2005, 12:38 AM
MyG37 Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where do you live in Florida, I could recommend a good dealer/installer for JL in the SFL area. I have "bone crushing bass," I love it! No one but me can stand it but your gunna need more than 1 10 to really "feel" it. The W6 is an awesome speaker, I personally would go with a W7 if you dont mind the few inches of extra space its going to take up. The JL Amp you'll need for the W6 is a 500/1, not 500/anything else. Those amps are to increase the power from all the speakers and wouldnt recommend doing that with the stock speakers as im sure there pretty close to max. If you were to upgrade the inside speakers than a 4-Channel amp would be a good idea too. Im going to be changin out the front tweets to MB Quart in the next week or so, hopefully get a much clearer sound.