Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

For those who didn't get SAT with the car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 01:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those who didn't get SAT with the car

I have the '04, so the car is already prewired for Sat. As an option it cost $400 to get SAT. I was wondering if anyone who got SAT installed after they bought the car, how much did you pay?

Old 03-15-2005, 07:48 AM
Dealers will charge you anywhere from $450 to $700 for the OEM kit and install. You can buy it yourself online for $300 if you want to install it yourself (it's very easy to do).

Old 03-16-2005, 06:35 PM
What do I have to buy except the antenna and the subscription?

Old 03-16-2005, 07:23 PM
Do you have to pull out the center console to install sat in a prewired car, or does everything plug in in the trunk?

Old 03-16-2005, 07:39 PM
a few answers

Hi, Guys

There are 3 things needed to complete the Sat installation;

1) A receiver, either Sirius or XM. The proper choice is to get one that is a plug & play for our cars. You can purchase Non OEM although the install will be a pain.

2) You will need an antenna; I have the Low Profile from Terk. It looks good and the finish almost matches my car. There are other choices, one is large and one is tiny. Your choice.

3) A subscription; Check out the Web sites from Sirius and XM and decide for yourself.

I have the Sirius receicver up here in Canada (illegal, I think) at it is great! I bought is used from another G member for around $150.00 Post a want ad in the classified.

The Sat system is way better than the commercial filled FM airways. The sound quality is superb....always.

The installation of the receiver is a breeze; Under the floor in the trunk is a wiring harness waiting to be plugged in. The antenna is magnetic (and strong enough to not budge when going through a car wash).

Plug in the antenna and plug in the wire harness, tune in, phone the 1-800# and your set.

I won't go back.

Good Luck

Digger

Old 03-16-2005, 08:25 PM
Thanks Digger, sounds simple. Did you install your Terk inside the trunk or on the roof?

Old 03-16-2005, 08:37 PM
sorry to be a pain, but anyone know a good online source for either XM/Sirius hardware?

Old 03-16-2005, 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by desertdriver
sorry to be a pain, but anyone know a good online source for either XM/Sirius hardware?
If you want the oem reciver check out www.grubbsperformance.com fast shipping very nice people. For info check out http://www.xmfan.com or http://www.siriusbackstage.com

I had xm in my last car, this time I went with sirius, so far I like sirius better.

Old 03-17-2005, 02:04 AM
Thanks a lot guys. BTW, Balto is the name of the white Lab we just got.

Old 03-17-2005, 02:32 AM
Originally Posted by Digger

There are 3 things needed to complete the Sat installation;

1) A receiver, either Sirius or XM. The proper choice is to get one that is a plug & play for our cars. You can purchase Non OEM although the install will be a pain.

2) You will need an antenna; I have the Low Profile from Terk. It looks good and the finish almost matches my car. There are other choices, one is large and one is tiny. Your choice.

3) A subscription; Check out the Web sites from Sirius and XM and decide for yourself.

I see you did the installation yourself, so I guess your car was pre-wired for SAT. Which antenna and receiver did you buy? How much was everything? Thanks.

Old 03-17-2005, 08:46 AM
I purchased the Terk Low profile antenna online.
Be careful as there is a "splitter" required for use on the OEM receiver.

Just be sure that the splitter is included. Grubbs includes in the price but I found the kit for $10.00 less someplace else.

I mounted mine on the trunk nearest the rear window so there isn't any wire visible. Installation could be done with with your eyes closed. Do not worry about the installation. If you car is pre-wired a child could install it.

To confirm if your car is pre-wired or not; Remove the spare tire, remove the brass nut on the left side that holds the floor cover down (the wrench is with the spare tire hardware on the rights side).

Under the cover you will see the Bose amp, follow the harness from the amp and look for a white plastic flat multi pin connector hanging off the harness within about 12 inches. That is the connector for the sat receiver.

If that harness isn't there, the job is WAY more difficult as you have to get behind the console.

The only connections needed for the sat are the cable connector and the antenna plug. - Simple and worth the money.

I'd be happy to post a picture of the antenna mounting if you would like me to but I can't do it until late this afternoon.

I”ll dig up my receipt for the antenna and let you know where I bought it from too.
Cheers

Digger

Old 03-17-2005, 09:08 AM
I installed Sirius OEM in my sedan, I installed the harness and all. It wasn't that bad, took maybe 3 hours. It would have only been 1 hour if I didn't have to install the harness, too. I just traded my sedan for an '05 coupe a month ago.

This time I installed XM just to see what it was like. I figured it couldn't be too different. I bought and installed the OEM XM tuner and the micro antenna (it's only 1 inch square) in about 30 minutes. The install in the coupe is even easier than the sedan.

But, I am returning my XM receiver and going back to an OEM Sirius setup. I don't like XM nearly as much. And, now that they are both $12.95 a month, there's no price advantage, either.

The cheapest place to get the receiver itself is Grubbs at www.grubbsperformance.com ... $296 shipped. I would get the antenna on ebay or at www.crutchfield.com

Last edited by slinkyboi5; 03-17-2005 at 09:12 AM.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:27 AM
Please post pics of the atenna on the trunk. I currently have the atenna installed on the back deck, I am going to move it to the trunk this weekend. Couldn't do it when I instaleld it earlier this week, it was to cold

Old 03-17-2005, 10:28 AM
I looked on Grubbs, and the Terk Antenna is $47.99 and the receiver is $284.99.
EverythingG35.com is charging $350 for the whole kit. Anyway, Grubbs has instructions on their site and it looks a little more detailed then you guys explained: http://secure.grubbs.com/sat_install/G35_sedan.pdf

Old 03-17-2005, 12:20 PM
If you put the antenna on the outside of the car, then yes, it is more complicated and then I'd recommend having the dealer do it.

I have always put the antenna on the rear deck, in both my sedan and my coupe...and gotten perfect reception and no ugly antenna outside.

To install the tuner itself, is simple if your car is prewired (all '04s and '05s are prewired, some '03s are). Check here to install the tuner in a sedan, with good pictures. If you're prewired, you can skip the harness install section.

http://www.g-owners.com/article_read.asp?id=19

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: For those who didn't get SAT with the car